Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: squirrel season in georgia  (Read 11051 times)

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
squirrel season in georgia
« on: August 15, 2014, 04:44:38 pm »
today is opening day but i'm not going out in this heat.  i may try it for an hour or so sunday morning just to let my dog get a little practice and to bring a tail back to my pup.  any other squirrel hunters near middle georgia?

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: squirrel season in georgia
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 03:25:25 am »
There's a season for squirrels?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 07:30:40 am »
I used to do a lot of squirrel hunting as a child in Pennsylvania. I have a couple of very large squirrels on my patio that I shot in the Lake Tahoe area and stuffed for a taxidermy class that I took back in the 80's. Here at my farm we do not have that many. Most of the trees are slash pine and they do not produce pine cones for some reason. 
If I had an abundance of them I would love to go squirrel hunting.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 08:22:30 am »
Squirrel season already 100 degrees ..... dang. Of course deer season is already in here in the low state..
John 3:16

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 08:27:06 am »
You made me go look ..... don't come in here until Oct. 1. Makes more sense to me IMAO  :)

Offline leszekdudek

• New Bee
    • lista dłużnikow
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 09:50:37 am »
You made me go look ..... don't come in here until Oct. 1. Makes more sense to me IMAO  :)

really?

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 10:26:32 am »
http://www.tn.gov/twra/smallgamehunt.html

I prefer waiting until the leaves fall. Much cooler and easier to see when hunting with a dog.
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 01:00:17 am »
I have a treeing fiest that I had pretty much given up on. She is three in Oct. She would not stay on tree or bark. Don't think she will be great but today for some odd reason something clicked. I live in a bottom and she treed 3 and was raising cane. I just hope she continues. Can't wait for the weather to get cooler.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 09:58:53 pm »
Squirrel season may be now open, but we kill the vast majority of them in the summer right out of the garden.    Deer (Bow) season opened up today, but the hunt won't get good until Thanksgiving in my book. 

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 10:29:36 pm »
Bow season for deer opened here today. We had fresh venison loin for dinner tonight.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 03:04:06 am »
I haven't hunted squirrel in years.  But when I was working, came home one morning could get to sleep because of the pecans hitting the roof.  Went out and scared them, in a few minutes they were back.  I got the gun and shot up into the tree, they left again.  And came back to, I got 27 in two mornings out of the two pecan trees in my yard.
Our bow season here starts Oct 15, 20 miles north of me it opens Oct 1.  Our deer season goes until the middle of Feb.  I got two last year, both were within 200 yard of my house.

Joe

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 11:57:34 pm »
joe i'm on about 44 acres and i was building my barn/house last deer season and shot two before thanksgiving from a stand about 300 yards from the construction.  i had a pair of does that bedded within sight of the building.  they were almost like bottle babies to me.  they would watch me going to my stand and never run.  i couldn't shoot them. 

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 12:05:03 am »
I have a treeing fiest that I had pretty much given up on. She is three in Oct. She would not stay on tree or bark. Don't think she will be great but today for some odd reason something clicked. I live in a bottom and she treed 3 and was raising cane. I just hope she continues. Can't wait for the weather to get cooler.

my male wouldn't stick last year and then all of the sudden he changed over night.  i was riding the fire breaks a couple of day ago and he treed 3 in about 30 minutes and he stayed on the last one for about an hour and a half before i finally got the truck and went and made him load up.  i'm going in the morning and i'll shoot some out to him.  if your will stick and she listens to you i'm always looking to breed this dog.  he'll tree all day if i let him.  he's on the big side for a feist, about 29 pounds.  he's brindle with white trim and he goes back to a riverun j.d and riverun ruby cross about 4 generations ago.  i've got a female with a lot of quick's champ in her that i can't get a handle on so far and she's a little gun shy but she was treeing hard by 10 months.  i'm going to give her some more time to get her mind right before i give up on making the cross.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2014, 12:09:27 am »
hjon, i'll do more late season hunting.  they stay in season through the end of february here and in alabama and i hunt both states.  i went today without the dog with me neighbors kid and taught him how to shake a vine and we shook one out that i lost sight of when it got high in the tree. 
i'm taking my male out in the morning for a couple of hours and probably won't take him much more before mid january.

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 11:31:17 am »
Ever seen one of these?

Can see lots of them at the Point.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 11:13:12 am »
Around here they are black squirrels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_squirrel
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 12:31:59 pm »
We have a pure white , albino, squirell in our neighborhood. My daughter lives down the street from me and sees it in her yard quite often. I have seen it in my yard twice. It has been seen over several years so I suspect it is several generations.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 11:12:46 am »
Ever seen one of these?

Can see lots of them at the Point.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

about 20 years ago some friends had a pair of white with jet black heads nesting in their yard in town.  i saw one on my place over the summer that was either white or silver with a brown/red head.  i've seen more color variations here than anywhere but that's the only one that may have been white.