Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: WTK Metal Disk Entrances  (Read 1388 times)

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
WTK Metal Disk Entrances
« on: March 03, 2012, 01:30:35 pm »
I've started using the Walter T. Kelley metal disk entrances on swarm traps.  I'll tell y'all how I mount them and I'm looking for ideas on how others do it.  I drill a 1/8" hole and drive an 8X32 screw, 1" long, from the inside of the box.  It's hard to get started but once you do, you can drive it home with a drill.  Then I push the disk on the outside, it's a tight fit, and drive it home with an 8X32 wing nut.  To select the desired entrance just loosen the wing nut half a turn and turn the disk, then tight the wing nut.  Any other ideas out there?

I"ve tried the plastic disks but they don't last in the sun and were hard to get for a while.  I made my own for a while but that got old.  These metal disks will outlast the boxes on which I install them and will probably end up in my will.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: WTK Metal Disk Entrances
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 01:46:37 pm »
I use the metal discs on all of my wooden nucs. They're great fo swarm catchers and are easily moved.

I just screw through the mounting hole with a 1/2" x #6 screw and tighten until I have the right friction to keep them from moving but can still be turned by hand.

If you install them on freshly painted boxes they tend to stick a bit but rubbing bees wax on the box before installing solves that.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
Re: WTK Metal Disk Entrances
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 02:16:55 pm »
I spray paint mine with different designs and colors. I place a stainless washer in between the disk and the box so it turns easier and doesn't stick. I also drill my hole at the top of the disk. That way if I forget to tighten one it swings to the open hole. I found one that had been closed for a week once.

anything