Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My Friend Tuff  (Read 9267 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
My Friend Tuff
« on: January 27, 2019, 12:06:36 pm »
Once I received a phone call form a family of two small children, This family had raised a Australian Blue Heeler. Beautiful dog. This type dog makes a  great stock dog and good friend! The family children were young and small for this breed of dog. Constantly, these children would pick him up by his head, his ear, leg or what ever, causing pain for this puppy. As he grew older, he slowly became defensive, until one day, he had, had enough of humans. He hated humans! All of his life,  all he had known was abuse. The family had taken him to the pound, (SHELTER), but the dog was classified as an aggressive vicious dog and the Animal Shelter, after evaluating him, said he would not be put up for adoption, but euthanized. The Mom and Dad did not want to see the dog put to sleep. I was called. I took the dog and could not touch him or pet him. He meant business! The dad put my collar on him and slowly gingerly put him into he carrying kennel.  All the while the dog was growling at the dad, lips quivering, teeth flashing!! I knew I had my hands full! This animal was so beautiful!! Yet he was sentenced to death row! I was the only hope left for him. I desperately wanted to save him, to become friends with him. Each day before going to work I would go the him, talk to him, offer to him kind affection. Feed him from my hand, all the while he would growl at me and show his teeth even while eating from my hand.  Nothing kind to him seemed to work. No matter how kind, how concerned for him I was, he hated me!  After two weeks, of doing all possible to gain his trust, his friendship their was no change for the good.  I would sit down just out of his reach  and talk to him, no good came of it. His mind was made up, all mankind was his enemy. One day I came home form work and a big tree limb had fallen form a tree into his gracious yard, he had a really nice dog house. plenty of room plenty of shade etc.  Anyway one day I came home and a  limb had fallen form the tree and was tangled up in his chain! I said boy you need help. Now I am your friend. I am going to reach down and slowly untangle you. Do not bite me boy. I realize a dog can't not understand complete sentences but they CAN understand kindness but nothing says they have to accept it .   Just as people...      I reached down slowly, easily touched his head to pet. As every other time he growled, showing his teeth, with lips quivering. I could feel the tenseness in his feel. He was ready and willing to bite me, this I knew. I also knew he needed help so  I said , boy I am your friend. I am here to help you. I am trying to save your life from death row. Now don't bite me boy. I reached to untangle the chain and he attacked me.. He had my hand and meant business. I still have the scars!  My patience had ran out. Kindness or goodness didn't work with him and was either save him or let them kill him. So what did I do? 

This is what I did, I didn't have a muzzle and if I had, had one I wouldn't have known how to put it on him under these circumstance. I KNEW if I called the animal control people and they saw where he had attacked me, I was pretty sure what his fate would be, remember he had already been condemned to death  by these folks. I wasn't happy but wasn't surprised at his reaction. Again I was trying to help him is the most humane, kindest, way, up to this point. All the kind treatment, feeding  from the hand, soft easy voice and time spent by his side was not accepted by him, nor was it appreciated. He saw me as just another mean human and the hatred for me had been made known and demonstrated. The way I saw it I had at least three choices. Call the animal people, (sure death for him). Just go ahead and give up on him and put him to sleep myself, as I couldn't just leave him with only a few feet of freedom,  with the tangled chain. (Which would have been inhuman), or try another approach. I chose  the latter and final solution and if plan C, the final solution didn't work, then I would have to call the Animal people. I already had my good thick western boots on, I knew this would protect my feet and lower legs to some extent. I went to my truck, put on my, (Wells Lamont White Mule) gloves. And for self defense, I picked up my horse quirt, Mexican style that was not  hard or something that would cause damage to him, only sting him, if, this became necessary to protect my self.  ( To give those of you and idea the style, was used on the movie Lonesome Dove, by Gus and Call) So I went back to him, with my equipment and a blood soaked glove,  again I tried a kind voice, made my way to him, again he lunged at me but I was ready for this action from him.    I jerked my hand back, just in time . Stepped on the free part of the chain. He grabbed my foot and started slinging, shaking, most violently and vigorously. As a dog shakes a deadly snake or another dog in a dog fight! Let me tell you, he meant business! All the kindness from me towards him was useless and beyond approach. So, in defense of myself I lit back into him. He was clamped down on my foot as a pit bulldog, seeming to have the hope removing it from my body steady slinging! I was striking back at the same time. But let me tell you,  He was growling, marking sounds of a dogs in a dog fight, and at this point so was I. We had it out! After a few seconds of this, he decided that he had had enough of this and turned loose of my foot and stood there. I immediately stopped my returned aggression toward him. Letting him think about it for a few seconds. Changed my tone, and talked to him kindly and telling him "this wasn't necessary, your choice not mine" I know that he couldn't understand the words but he could understand the kindness and lack of aggression toward him as he had shown toward me. I slowly eased my hand down to rub his head. When I touched it he growled once again, but for the first time, he did not, show his teeth or quiver his lips. He was making sure that I was not as one of the previous humans he had felt with. Letting me know do not pull my ears or legs. I easily rubbed his head, talked to him consoling him. He then licked his lips licked my hand!! I was shocked at the sudden change of his attitude! I didn't push the issue. However, I gently  talked to him, rewarded him for his kindness toward me, letting him know that I was not his enemy  all the while reassuring him "I am your friend" through actions as well as words. I worked with him for several days making steady progress keeping him Isolated from other humans. He easily learned the meaning of the words No, Sit, Stay, Come and other basic things that a behaved dog should know. Finally releasing him. He was my pal and best friend and I was his. Where I went, he went. When I left to go to the horse barn, in the back of the truck he would go! He stood behind the cab, head to the outside. Wind blowing through his hair and a stance as saying " I am the king of the world" If a Snake cross  my path or was lurking in the barn area he protected me. If a cow were to charge me if got to close to a calf he had my back. He was a trusted "wing man" handling  the threat. He was so well behaved and so dependable. Such a good friend as could be found. Immediacy after the incident I told him you are a tough one boy, you name is "Tuff" Tuff and I were best friends for years!! And may I add I never had to use the quirt ever again. He learned, that day, the difference in abuse toward him in his previous circumstances and defense from me in our circumstances. What a great, loyal, proud, happy beautiful dog 🐶, My Friend Tuff !!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: My Friend Tuff
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 12:11:36 pm »
I finished this as I am sitting in ICU with my dad. He is showing a signs of improvement.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 01:13:23 pm »
That is a great story Phillip. Glad it worked out.
I hope everything works out for your dad.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 01:14:56 pm »
Maybe now Iddee will let you off the hook.  :cheesy:
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 01:23:20 pm »
That is a great story Phillip. Glad it worked out.
I hope everything works out for your dad.
Jim

Thanks Jim, Seems to be a some better. White blood has went down some, which is a good thing! Now giving him 75 oxygen down from 85 yesterday, before that was 100 which is a good thing too! keep praying!!  Thanks my friend.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 01:34:05 pm »
Maybe now Iddee will let you off the hook.  :cheesy:
Jim

Maybe so! I cut my teeth on fellows like him years ago! They can be your best friend or your worse nightmare! Some have good hearts and others some can be a real Jack donkey. I conceder iddee to be a friend with a good heart. However,  I may change his name from Mr Thick Skin, to Mr "Tuff"' Skin . Ah haa haa haa. He is a tough ole bird !! As I told him. I would be his wing man anytime, or would be happy to have him as mine!
Thanks, Phillip

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 01:47:49 pm »
He's never been on the hook. Read ""One minute management""

When training or disciplining, one minute to explain the circumstance, and it is over. A whole new future begins right then.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 02:10:03 pm »
He's never been on the hook. Read ""One minute management""

When training or disciplining, one minute to explain the circumstance, and it is over. A whole new future begins right then.
[/quote

Yes sir I agree  💯 percent. All in since is meant for humor 😊😁 full respect  I'll be honest with you, you know how to give a good butt chewing !!  Ah haa haa haa 
Phillip

Offline SiWolKe

• House Bee
    • www.VivaBiene.de
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 02:51:39 pm »
Hey Phillip,
to demand and enforce respect from a dog like that without him wearing a muzzle is very brave!
If I would live near you and work as a dog trainer again, I would ask your assistance!
Well done!! :cool: I know it can be done. And giving him a chance!

I also keep on praying for your dad.
Sibylle

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 03:49:20 pm »
Hey Phillip,
to demand and enforce respect from a dog like that without him wearing a muzzle is very brave!
If I would live near you and work as a dog trainer again, I would ask your assistance!

Sibylle

Thanks Sibylle, I was raised up with the privilege of ranch life. My granddaddy was a true Cattleman, the real deal. My daddy was in IBM during his Navy Years and after. I would spend time with my grandparents during the summer in order to learn the ways of the land, and many many weekends throughout my growing years. My mothers family were  farmers. The catttle indursty has changed drastically since thiose days and I doubt that many, these days know how to properly work cattle with  well trained horses and dogs. Now days it's 4!wheelers etc.  And thank you ! He is doing a little better. Any improvement is good! We will continue to pray !!  God Bless you my friend.
  I still have border collie but I. Have a family now and my dog and horse training days are behind me. After an unrelated accident,  I could no longer tend to my personal horses, as I was in a hospital bed for quiet some time, but I am fine now and still dream from time to time of being horseback. PS I stil have my saddles and equipment!! 😉
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 04:10:39 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 04:29:06 pm »
Hey Phillip,

Sibylle

Thanks Sibylle, I was raised up with the privilege of ranch life. My granddaddy was a true Cattleman, the real deal. My daddy was in IBM during his Navy Years and after. I would spend time with my grandparents during the summer in order to learn the ways of the land, and many many weekends throughout my growing years. My mothers family were  farmers. The catttle indursty has changed drastically since thiose days and I doubt that many, these days know how to properly work cattle with  well trained horses and dogs. Now days it's 4!wheelers etc.  And thank you ! He is doing a little better. Any improvement is good! We will continue to pray !!  God Bless you my friend.
  I still have border collie but I. Have a family now and my dog and horse training days are behind me. After an unrelated accident,  I could no longer tend to my personal horses, as I was in a hospital bed for quiet some time, but I am fine now and still dream from time to time of being horseback. PS I stil have my saddles and equipment!! 😉

Oh let me add, I would be happy to assist you with the dogs if you lived close. I love them as much as ever, it has been my thinking that the Dog is a special gift to man from God. Dallas, Jim , and some of us talked about this under another heading  (Farm and Country Life) some time back under the topic (Vet says Christa has lymphoma.) you might want to check this out, being a dog lover yourself, Dallas posted a really good post here.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 06:56:56 pm »
Thanks for the kind words, Ben.  You are referring to Sen. Vest?s tribute to dog in the trial of old Drum.  I found a You Tube video of Ronald Reagan giving that speech in a 1964 episode of Death Valley Days.  Sounds really good with him giving that speech.  In You Tube, enter Reagan Tribute to the dog 1964.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 08:48:25 pm »
Thanks for the kind words, Ben.  You are referring to Sen. Vest?s tribute to dog in the trial of old Drum.  I found a You Tube video of Ronald Reagan giving that speech in a 1964 episode of Death Valley Days.  Sounds really good with him giving that speech.  In You Tube, enter Reagan Tribute to the dog 1964.

Yes Sir Dallas, you are quite welcome, I am appreciative that you posed that about Sen.Vests, concerning old Drum, then. Our Ronald Regan had a talent with words, a gift, with words, and knew well how to commutate, verbally, what it was that he wished to say.   I look forward to hearing him speak on this!  But I might add, the way you laid it out was quite clear and heart touching when you enlightened us then, in the post to Jim. Again I thank you.
Phillip

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2019, 10:31:36 pm »
Thanks, Phillip.  Nuff said about dogs for now.  Hope your dad is on the mend.  About time to turn our attention back to the bees, I 'spect. 

"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2019, 11:02:46 pm »
Thanks, Phillip.  Nuff said about dogs for now.  Hope your dad is on the mend.  About time to turn our attention back to the bees, I 'spect.

Agreed, or make way for our friends iddee and ace to have at it!!  :grin:

Offline SiWolKe

• House Bee
    • www.VivaBiene.de
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 02:20:14 am »
When I was still training dogs, I once had a parenting group of tall, half-grown males, often letting them romp to encourage social behavior.
That was something!

When they grew up, it came to a scuffle.
Next to me standing and watching was the owner of a Hovawart, who then panicked.

She wanted to go to an exhibition with her dog and feared he would be injured.
She wanted me to intervene, and when I refused, she really put pressure on me.

So I started running and plunged into the fray with a banshee scream to break the dogs fighting.

That worked well, they got really scared! Beside me was a big street-killer, who looked at me sheepishly and blinked his eyes. Lupo, I said, what's up? No more craving for brawling?
Then I noticed that he had bitten me in the kneecap in the heat of the moment, with his canine he had made a deep hole.

Luckily he had not eaten any feces before like dogs love to do, and it did not inflame. I put healing clay on it.
We were best friends, but I still have the scar today.

:happy:

Offline SiWolKe

• House Bee
    • www.VivaBiene.de
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2019, 02:37:33 am »
Here you see one of my dogs, border mix Mickey, mantrailing ,
He loved that job! Very sportive he was. Last pict is when he detected the "victim".
( he passed away 2017 in the age of 14.5 years):

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2019, 01:46:36 pm »
Here you see one of my dogs, border mix Mickey, mantrailing ,
He loved that job! Very sportive he was. Last pict is when he detected the "victim".
( he passed away 2017 in the age of 14.5 years):

Oh yea, I see the border in him! I sure he was very smart! Border Collies are one of the top intelligence in the dog world !! 14.5 is an long time for a dog! I'm sure that you took very good care of him! I am happy that the bite to your knee in your other post was not any worse than it was, and infection is always to be considered I'm not familiar with the clay treatment that you used. I usually use alcohol, peroxide, iodine, and triple anti-biotic ointment as a sealer as well as a aid in healing. I have more that I wish to tell you concerning bites. (The doctors are entering now).. ttyl  Phillip

Offline SiWolKe

• House Bee
    • www.VivaBiene.de
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2019, 02:18:34 pm »
I sincerely hope your dad will get better!

Medicinal earth is used on the skin ( burns) or internally ( some bacteria giving you diarrhea) it absorbs.
I always keep it at home. First aid man and animal in a not so serious case.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2019, 11:08:36 pm »
I sincerely hope your dad will get better!

Medicinal earth is used on the skin ( burns) or internally ( some bacteria giving you diarrhea) it absorbs.
I always keep it at home. First aid man and animal in a not so serious case.

I will have to check of that and see if it is offered here. Is new to me.
Tell me of Sweden, and your exceptions there. Are the rules of keeping bee their strict? Do you have friends or family there? I have never been to your country or Sweden but I hear that both are beautiful!! The following is the latest video form a very nice couple form Ireland. Tim use to be a professional bee keeper and has some really interesting videos and ideas related as well. This video came out today.  You might find this channel interesting and relaxing as well, especially after a visit to the coffee house !! Ah Ha haa haaa.
Cheers, Phillip

https://youtu.be/9vR2rMLO6bM
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 01:19:09 am by Ben Framed »