Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Follow the Bloom - 2024  (Read 9282 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Follow the Bloom - 2024
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2024, 01:19:10 pm »
Here is a picture of two Tupelo/Black Gum trees in full bloom. You can?t see any flowers because they are tiny and all green. From where I took this picture I can still clearly hear the buzz of the bees. It is probably close to 90 feet and if I had better hearing I could probably go out a lot farther.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2024, 01:33:06 am »
Blackhaw is blooming here
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2024, 12:02:12 am »
The blackberries have opened and IT IS ON!  Everyone, even the little hives, are drawing now, and I've got several hives with filled supers already.  I can't even believe how quickly this turned around on me. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bill Murray

• Field Bee
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2024, 10:10:29 pm »
Saw palmetto is almost ready. Tallow is on, but a little kink due to the rain yesterday. I can use a couple kinks/setbacks this year.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2024, 12:18:34 am »
Bill, I have learned that Carnola  Honey is prone to sugar-fying. I have also learned that Palomino honey will be high in moisture content, and many times will need to be dried before extraction. My question to you; Does Palomino Honey also Sugar-fie easily?  (Just curious) I have  neither in my area.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2024, 08:43:02 am »
Bees are starting to work on the Chinese Tallow. Ben, Palmetto blooms with Gallberry and Tupelo. Both of them do not crystallize very much. I have had jars of this honey on the shelf for 5 years and not crystalize.
Bill pulls his honey trying to get purer flower flows so he might know.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bill Murray

• Field Bee
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2024, 09:47:22 am »
I dont know anything about canola. I havnt had a problem with palmetto setting up, normally as a stand alone it is wet, prone to fermentation But not as bad as the cabbage palm. The first boxes that normally overlap the Gallberry, are a good mix but kinda takes the Ill call it "bite" out of the gallberry. Its the cabbage palm that ferments bad due to the yeast thats harbored in the flower bundle (or so im told)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2024, 11:36:44 am »
Bill I was mixed up. It was the cabbage palm I was thinking of. I have nine of the three in my area that I am aware of. (canola, cabbage palm, or palomino).

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bill Murray

• Field Bee
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2024, 12:10:20 pm »
So I think, and someone chime in if this is wrong, But the higher the sucrose content the quicker the honey will set.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2024, 12:38:23 pm »
So I think, and someone chime in if this is wrong, But the higher the sucrose content the quicker the honey will set.
Glucose, not sucrose. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bill Murray

• Field Bee
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2024, 12:54:57 pm »
Thank you, that file drawer on what ___cose it was needed some oil.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2024, 01:18:35 pm »
 :cheesy:

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2024, 12:23:11 pm »
I don't know what produces what for pollen just yet but the stuff this girl is carrying must be low density stuff, given how full her pollen baskets are. It's hard for me to get pictures because they move a bit faster than I do and I hope you can even see it. Some of them are coming it more loaded down than that and they're not having any trouble landing right at the door. With some pollens, they miss the porch and have to rest up on the grass or on the concrete for a while before they finish the trip.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2024, 02:49:34 pm »
That's nothin'.  I've seen pollen baskets twice that full!  :grin: 

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2024, 04:22:05 pm »
Yeah, those aren't the fullest ones they're bringing in but that is the picture I got. It's funny to watch them wobble down the plank with those things stuffed full.

Offline Caashenb

• New Bee
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2024, 05:51:55 pm »
Mimosa blooming here now.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2024, 11:35:38 pm »
The bees are buzzing on the Chinese Tallow.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2024, 12:08:01 am »
Honeysuckle and Golden Alexanders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2024, 05:54:02 am »
Hawthorne and the last of the apple blossom.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2024, 06:57:00 am »
I don't know what it is but the color is orange and there must be plenty of it because that's about 90% of what's coming in. That pale yellow is on the way out. I'm guessing that it's denser too because their baskets aren't as full of it as they were the pale yellow. I have a yuuuuuge tulip poplar that looks to be flowering and I've heard all about how it's great for the bees but other than that, I don't know anything about what they get from it. I believe that the state park behind my house is full of those, and oak trees.

anything