Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Split today - guidance?  (Read 5897 times)

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
Split today - guidance?
« on: May 02, 2020, 02:43:47 pm »
Hey all,

I?ve never done a split where I intended to raise a new queen before, so just looking for some reassurance.

We have a strong flow, there are drones, and I have a very strong hive that I installed from a package onto drawn comb over a month ago. 

Today I split that hive, taking three frames of brood and larvae of various stages and two frames of honey/pollen combos. I put them in a 5 frame nuc. 

From what I?m reading, I should check for queen cells on Tuesday of this coming week?

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Split today - guidance?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 04:24:02 pm »
Were you splitting to prevent swarming or just to make an extra hive?  Tuesday seems a little soon to me, I usually wait about a week. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
Split today - guidance?
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 04:59:22 pm »
Just to make another hive.  Also the parent hive is pretty calm and I?d like to encourage those genetics.

I should also add that it?s swarm season here based on the local beek association posts on facebook
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 07:52:10 pm by amymcg »

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 08:27:56 pm »
Just to make another hive.  Also the parent hive is pretty calm and I?d like to encourage those genetics.

I should also add that it?s swarm season here based on the local beek association posts on facebook
I ask because if you are trying to prevent swarming, you would want to move the mother queen.  (Ask me how I found that out.   :wink:)  If you are just trying to get another hive though, it shouldn't matter. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 08:48:56 pm »
Yes! Luckily no signs of swarming. Plenty of frames of brood, no swarm cells, queen is laying a nice solid pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 09:26:32 am »
I have a very strong hive that I installed from a package onto drawn comb over a month ago. 
In no way would I consider a package install a very strong hive after a couple months.  I am not saying you can't take a split off from it and be successful.  If you provided 3 day old larvae for the split there will be queen cells.  No need to check.  In about a month you will need to check for eggs.  That is about all that is required.
What you could do in a week is add another frame of young larvae if you are not sure the larvae you provided was young enough to begin with.  Doesn't matter where you put it.  I would avoid the frame where you put the first young larvae because you might wreck a queen cell.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 09:17:45 pm »
Hi took a peek on Tuesday because I couldn?t help myself. There are queen cells!

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 10:14:14 pm »
Hi took a peek on Tuesday because I couldn?t help myself. There are queen cells!

Hooray!  Now be sure to wait 3 weeks before checking again; 1 week for the cell to hatch, 1 week for the queen to mate, and 1 week for her to start laying. 

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 10:14:49 pm »
Definitely. I don?t plan to look again until June!

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 02:07:11 pm »
I consider a hive strong enough to split when it has two ten frame deeps or four eight frame mediums full of bees and drawn comb that is full of honey, pollen, or brood.  Any less is not really strong enough for the split to build up quickly...

Make sure when you do a split you don't let them run out of room.  Even the queenless side will need room as all of the emerging bees will get recruited to forage and they will need room for the honey.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 01:59:31 pm »
UPDATE - they did it!

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 11:52:37 pm »
Congratulations on your success.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2020, 12:21:54 am »
UPDATE - they did it!

Yes!  :grin:

Online Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2020, 09:13:09 am »
UPDATE - they did it!

Wow laying in 24 days that is fabulous.  Congratulations.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2020, 04:16:10 pm »
Honestly I?m not sure she?s laying, but when I was inspecting the other hives, I noticed this nucs demeanor had changed and there was a lot of activity.

I pulled the second frame in and there she was. I took the photo and put Her back. I didn?t see any eggs on that frame. She should have mated last week. I?ll do a more thorough inspection next week and make sure she?s viable then.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2020, 01:47:42 am »
Amy,
MB is correct.  Splitting a weak hive make two weak hives. 
Feed your two hives and put them on drawn comb if you can. 
It gets cold in your area in the winter.
I have learned from more experienced on this site that 1st year bees don't swarm.  !st year nucs/packages need not be split.
Others on this site will preach non intervention, don't feed your bees, ignore them.  Their bees are dead and they moved to Florida only to kill more bees.
Be prepared to combine you hives this fall.  Pick the most successful queen and combine, good luck.

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2020, 08:43:36 am »
Just to clarify, since some of you are making some assumptions about the split. The parent hive was installed On drawn comb. This was not a package installed on foundation. I never would have made a split in that situation. My desire to split has nothing to do with swarming, I simply want more hives.

I appreciate your Input.

I?m not concerned about the parent hive being week. They currently have 9 full frames of capped brood and are very strong.

I?m also not a new beekeeper. I have 16 years of experience keeping bees. I have just never done a walk away split before. My request for guidance was simply about the amount of time involved.

As long as this queen proves herself viable, they will be fine, but I plan on feeding this split until they can get established.

Thanks

Online Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2020, 08:49:49 am »
Their bees are dead and they moved to Florida only to kill more bees.

What do you work for Fox news or Trump?
My bees were sold and I suspect the hives are thriving.  Every beekeeper kills bees.  It is unavoidable.
Amy, interventions will set your hives back if not cause them to parish.  That is excepted knowledge for most beekeepers.  Clearly you are anxious because you jumped your own June date.  I can only say if this continues you luck will change.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline JojoBeeBoy

• House Bee
    • @joebeewhisperer on Instagram
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2020, 01:58:48 am »

Every beekeeper kills bees.  It is unavoidable.

Preach. I have unfortunately killed a ton of bees. I have:
a. put packages or nucs on more resources than they could guard (or warm) only to find I'm actually raising hive beetles in a few weeks.
b. installed several frames of brood and probably 2-3lbs of bees into a copper topped hive owned by a friend. Closed them off for a few hours in summer and baked them. <sick>
c. not treated for mites and lost almost every colony the second year like clockwork
d., e., f...... this is a longer list than 3 items

For each of these things I learned and have tried to adopt different practices. I'm here for that reason, to learn and for community.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2020, 05:19:23 pm »

Every beekeeper kills bees.  It is unavoidable.

Preach. I have unfortunately killed a ton of bees. I have:
a. put packages or nucs on more resources than they could guard (or warm) only to find I'm actually raising hive beetles in a few weeks.
b. installed several frames of brood and probably 2-3lbs of bees into a copper topped hive owned by a friend. Closed them off for a few hours in summer and baked them. <sick>
c. not treated for mites and lost almost every colony the second year like clockwork
d., e., f...... this is a longer list than 3 items

For each of these things I learned and have tried to adopt different practices. I'm here for that reason, to learn and for community.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.  :cheesy:

We've all killed way more bees than we ever wanted to. ... but, we learn.  :grin:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln