Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Woodpecker problem  (Read 37957 times)

Offline Michael86

• New Bee
Woodpecker problem
« on: January 11, 2014, 01:26:42 pm »
A woodpecker made holes into my comb  :evil:

I try something out to keep him away. I put ribons arround the hives and hope it will work. Yes i know looks like a crime scene or quarantine  :-D but if it works....  :)

:-D :-D :-D if something looks strange by my hives i make a try  ;)

Greetings
Michael

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Woodpecker problem
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 02:33:52 pm »
One shot from a pellet rifle should do the trick........permanently.   

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Satch

• House Bee
  • Grandpa and Brandon in the hives
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 11:51:24 am »
One shot from a pellet rifle should do the trick........permanently.   

Steve

I concur

Offline Edgy

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 10:53:40 pm »
You could use that "stuck-foot" glue on your boxes but your hives will be forever sticky.  I vote for the gun solution.

Offline Spear

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 04:08:09 am »
I was at a beek meeting last night and woodpecker problems were mentioned. The suggested solution was to use a wire mesh around the hives so the woodpecker can't reach the hives but I think the ribbon idea is also great. Maybe also hang a few old CDs in a near by tree aswell to keep the bird far away from the hives. It was also mentioned that some birds will sit outside the hive and knock a few times until the bees start coming out to investigate and the bird will snatch the bees up one at a time.

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 08:01:41 am »
12gage does a lot better job
to bee or not to bee

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 12:37:04 pm »
It would be a 12 gauge up here cause you can't find a box of 22's bird shot on the planet!  :laugh:

Offline Michael86

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 08:55:52 am »
No new woodpecker damage after i put the ribbons arround my hives over two months ago. Seem it works  :)
Why i should shot him, if i can keep him away so easy??? For someome people is that the easy but wrong way and after i shot him who eats the larveas in the tree? Kill them with pesticides?  :roll:
NO way!  :-P

Greetings
Michael

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 02:22:22 am »
Love it ! Woodpeckers attacking the hive in the UK and have to be warned off with flags - bears attacking hives in the States and need electric fence compound to keep the hives in. In Australia all we have to do is keep the hive 18 to 24 inches off the ground to stop the cane toads eating them as the fly in and out
David L

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 02:40:05 am »
12gage does a lot better job

You' re right Bud the hole would be  bigger    :devilbanana:

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)   
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline beesNme

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 09:48:14 am »
glad the ribbons worked !!, i know some people use realistic plastic owls to scare some predators away, as well.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 01:43:09 pm »
most of you already know this but for the few that dont woodpeckers are federally protected.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 01:54:13 pm »
most of you already know this but for the few that dont woodpeckers are federally protected.

i didn't know until i was looking at swallow solutions.  they all fall under the federal migratory bird law.  BS to the max, but there it is.  it's SSS if you do it.

last year i would have suggested some metal strips for the woodpecker, but the other day i went outside and i could hear the sound of loud tapping on metal.  i thought someone was doing some kind of work somewhere.  later, i went out in my own yard and there was a woodpecker sitting on the metal gate drilling away.  since then, i hear him almost every day.  he's either confused, or he just took a liking to the sound.   :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 02:38:52 pm »
There are only 3 birds not protected and they are house sparrows, starlings and pigeons.  All the rest are federally protected

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2014, 09:47:27 am »
There are only 3 birds not protected and they are house sparrows, starlings and pigeons.  All the rest are federally protected

you do realize these pictures are taken in Germany. Maybe you cannot even have a gun ??

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2014, 12:11:25 pm »

you do realize these pictures are taken in Germany. Maybe you cannot even have a gun ??

I did not catch that but everyone that said shoot is from the USA

Offline hivebuilder

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 11:15:04 am »
they do have guns in Germany and very nice ones too. and Finland and cz-- cant spell but iv got one.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2014, 02:00:50 pm »
they do have guns in Germany and very nice ones too. and Finland and cz-- cant spell but iv got one.
I have a Heckler & Koch and a Colt Sauer  "very nice" indeed

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2014, 03:36:04 pm »
Hey kathyp,  I'm trying to think of a solution to your swallow problem.  It is my understanding that Gopher snakes will climb into trees to go after birds, maybe a few fake snakes that is brown and speckled like a gopher snake scattered around will help.  Swallows are so darn fast and manuverable I am not even sure they fear owls, but maybe a fake owl.  I have seen just recently, fake Peregrine Falcons like the fake owls.  Considering that Peregrines are the fighter jets of the bird world, maybe that would spook off those swallows.

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 11:50:23 am »
I suggest hanging those twirling ice sickles

most birds don't like motion and flashes