Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive Bodies  (Read 11008 times)

Offline halexaron

• New Bee
Hive Bodies
« on: February 16, 2015, 07:09:21 pm »
I just finished making all the components for my langstroth style hives.  Once I stacked them I notice some small spacing between the bodies.  1/16 to 1/8 inch on some between a few of the hive bodies.  Should I be concerned??? I can go back in to make shims to eliminate spacing, but looking for advice before I fiddle with it. 

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: Hive Bodies
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 09:52:43 pm »
They will probably fill in the gap, that will make it harder to get them apart though.  I have a rasp that when one doesn't fit good on another one, before I paint, I will hit it with the rasp and maybe a hand plane.  I also check to make sure that frames fit down it each box and will slide along with out sticking.  Better to make sure before it is full and full frames and bees and frames don't want to move.  The bees can make some that way any how.
Good luck to you and your bees

Joe

Offline halexaron

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 10:13:29 pm »
Thanks Joe, My OCD will likely demand I go back at it with a plane and some sandpaper anyhow. However, Just in case I get overly ambitious, what is the critical distance between bottom of frames in top body and the top of the ones in the body below?

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 10:23:30 pm »
At the moment I don't remember for sure, think it is 3/8".  Don't get that ambitious.  I ran across that Stanley rasp, in a salvage store for a couple of bucks, love working with it and an old small plane.  I use almost no sandpaper.

Joe

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 12:38:44 am »
>Should I be concerned???

Yes.  The space should be between 1/4" and 3/8".  Not more than 3/8".  Not less than 1/4"...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline swflcpl

• My blog
  • House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 03:50:38 am »
It seems halex is referring to gaps around the outer body edge but Michael might be talking the space between upper and lower frames on a pair of stacked boxes. When planing those gaps down halex Michael's numbers apply to the gap you asked about in message #3. Maybe Michael just misquoted the wrong posting of yours.

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 04:32:46 am »
1/8" seems like a big gap to me. Even a 1/16" is getting a bit large. That is if it is that big all the way in across the whole thickness. I would re-examine the way I cut those and try to see what went wrong. Did you cut the box after assembly? Did you use rough cut that was crooked? If the lumber is cupped it will cause a gap, but only on one edge.
Did you use a table saw? If you used a circ. Saw with a guide, was the big part of the base resting on the wood? Just some questions I would ask myself.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 04:40:42 am »
You did not say what type of joints you are using but how the boards are lining up can cause this problem. If you are using finger joints, you may need to adjust your jig just a little.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 10:16:12 am »
Sorry, sometimes I'm skimming to get through all the posts... if you put more weight on top it might close some of the gap, but yes, they will fill it as others have pointed out.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline halexaron

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 09:29:07 pm »
1st - thanks for all the help folks.  To clarify my problem:  Although I made the boxes with rough wood--I planned and jointed all the wood to 4S.  I cut the boxes to height after assembly which I think is the origin of my issue--dumb mistake.  However I would rather not start from scratch. 
Anyway the gaps I am worried about do not extend the length of the hive body.  Just the corners and partially along the length where the top and bottom of the boxes meet.  Again 1/16 to 1/8 inch gaps.    Shimming will cause the boxes to fit only the box I shim it against, thus eliminating interchangeability.   

I think the group is advising me to leave it to the bees, however upon every inspection I will potentially re-expose the gap.

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 09:49:00 pm »
Cutting the boxes after assembly would not be a major issue if all the corners lined up. it is if a high corner hits the fence when you run into issues. Make sure when you assemble that you are also on a nice flat table and if you like cutting after assembly, put the top side down and when you are sure all sides meet flush at top corners, put the top side against the rip fence and always measure both sides of the blade to the fence.

Offline halexaron

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 09:57:52 pm »
Thanks Rookie--I don't think I will have the issue this weekend as I head back to shop for the rest of the bodies for hive 2.  I may have been a bit careless, since I was "only making a simple box", but obviously I missed something.  Anyway --do you think I should leave it to the bees to fix my mistake? 

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 10:11:23 pm »
Personally, I would use those boxes as top feeder boxes and make more, but I am not experienced enough to know what the bees will do with that big of a gap. If they do fill it, those boxes might be hard to get off and stick down tight as soon as you put it back on.

I also would think, is it 2 deeps that have the gaps between them? If so pick the configuration that has the smallest between the two and put the biggest gap at the bottom between it and the bottom board, because most likely, you wont have to pick the bottom box up, pretty much ever, if you don't want. And they can fill it and leave it filled. And you can always change the boxes out anytime if you don't like it, so, it really don't matter. People use scraps that float to shore, so I'm sure you'll be O.K. :grin:

Offline halexaron

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 10:18:43 pm »
Perfect---I can place the gaps on the bottom board and even custom shim those since I should rarely have to separate them.   Didn't think of that option.  :embarassed:   I will be more careful this weekend as I build hive 2.  Shouldn't have a issue now that I am paying attention.  Thanks for the advice.

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 10:27:52 pm »
How deep is the box now?
You could set your fence on 9 5/8 and try to remove the high spots.
Are you sure the boxes are completely squared? You can correct for most errors by checking/adjusting before the glue sets.
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 11:08:57 pm »
Or you can cut them to mediums and make more deeps?
  I dont usually worry about 1/16th, when it gets close to 1/8th I will tweak the boxes.. set them on something on the high corners and stand on the low corners to twist the box..   this, before the glue sets.. 
   Squaring your table or miter saw will usually eliminate twisted boxes. Assemble them on a FLAT surface, and do not rack them to make the edges flush. By doing this you will usually end up with nicely flat boxes.  I will also set a heavy weight on top of the stack..   I have a lumber yard metal bin of nails that weighs about 90 lbs.. I stack the boxes, and then set this bin on top of them.. it has no problem making them flat.. then the glue dries, and I can remove the weight and have flat boxes.
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline halexaron

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 08:50:27 pm »
Thanks OldMech--OCD would not let me get away with a quick fix. I trimmed my problem boxes down to mediums, remade the deeps set aside a medium for a top feeder.  Everything is drying now with first coat of finish on it.  They look great BTW.  I appreciate the advice from all.  Still not sure what went wrong.  I don't think I made any major corrections this weekend, other than paying more attention to squaring everything as I milled to lumber to 4S.  Anyway--problem solved thanks and this site is great.....Hopefully I will be asking bee related questions very soon.   

Offline loumaro

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 12:09:37 pm »
What is OCD?
Louie

Offline halexaron

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 07:48:29 pm »
obsessive compulsive disorder.  Just a joke--however I do get a bit meticulous about some projects

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 11:39:35 pm »
   I don't know if I'm the only one that notices this 9 5/8 " deeps boxes are the industry standard
9 1/8" frames at the industry standard which leaves a 1/2 inch of bee space IMHO is too big.
The only bee supplier that I have seen make 9 1/2"  boxes is Humble Abode.

http://www.humbleabodesinc.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 02:24:55 am »
I really liked one vidio that I saw where the guy made and assembled the boxes long and after the glue dried, fit the top on level ground and then he cut the bottom to the proper lenth on the table saw.  I used all differrent size reclaimed wood for mine and that is how I did it.  About what you did when you cut yours down to mediums.
gww

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 05:21:40 am »
   I don't know if I'm the only one that notices this 9 5/8 " deeps boxes are the industry standard
9 1/8" frames at the industry standard which leaves a 1/2 inch of bee space IMHO is too big.
The only bee supplier that I have seen make 9 1/2"  boxes is Humble Abode.

http://www.humbleabodesinc.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

I thought it was 3/8" , i will measure one of mine later and see.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 08:55:08 am »
I thought it was 3/8" , i will measure one of mine later and see.

Bee space is 5/16" to 3/8" please don't assume anything
 3/8" Is the industry standard.

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 09:08:59 am »
Beespace is between 1/4" and 3/8".  Anything over under 1/4" gets propolized.  Anything over 3/8" gets filled with comb.
-------------------

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 09:31:22 am »
Jim, you say 1/2" is standard in one thread then say 3/8" is standard in three next. I don't assume anything, as I build my own. I just haven't been out in the shop lately and am thinking that I have 1/4" on top of frames and 1/8" below.

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 10:19:16 am »
When cutting the boards (1x12's) cut the boards to length. Make sure you cut the boards square 90 degrees.
When you rip the boards to the width (deeps 9 5/8 and mediums 6 5/8) measure the fence on your table saw to the tracks in the saw table. Those tracks never move. Measure each end of the fence to the track in the table, the measurements should be the same. Now you can rip your board and it will be square. If you use Rabbet Joints cut your long boards 19 1/8 inches long, if you use box joints cut your long board 19 7/8 inches long. When you put the box together use clamps or a jig. The box should sit flat and not rock any. Making square cuts and rips are the key to a box that sits flat.
For a 10 frame box the short board is cut 16 1/4 inches long, for a 8 frame it depends on what part of the country you're in for there is no set standard length of the short board it is either 13 3/4 inches or 14 inches long.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2015, 01:28:38 pm »
Jim, you say 1/2" is standard in one thread then say 3/8" is standard in three next. I don't assume anything, as I build my own. I just haven't been out in the shop lately and am thinking that I have 1/4" on top of frames and 1/8" below.

3/8" is the standard bee space.Just measure boxes and then measure frames.Thank your teacher if you can do this simple math.Never said that 1/2 was standard beespace  I did say if you buy standard deep boxes and standard  deep frames
everyone is half inch 1/2" space except for Humble Abode the only one I know of..

Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2015, 03:09:53 pm »

3/8" is the standard bee space.Just measure boxes and then measure frames.Thank your teacher if you can do this simple math.Never said that 1/2 was standard beespace  I did say if you buy standard deep boxes and standard  deep frames
everyone is half inch 1/2" space except for Humble Abode the only one I know of..

I see, you were talking two different types of standards. manufacturing standards and bee space standards. I get it know.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2015, 03:29:40 pm »
jayj200
      My guess is I have work too long in the tool and die industry where the standards was plus or minus

BEE  HAPPY Jim 134  :smile:
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 04:25:11 pm by Jim 134 »
        Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2015, 08:05:12 pm »
Well, looks like I have to do some research as to where I got my measurements for my frames. Seems I made them 9 1/4" and not 9 1/8". So My memory was right as I do have 1/4" above and 1/8" below, but now where are those drawings?

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2015, 10:14:35 pm »
So now you have non standard frames :shocked: Which may not fit in an extractor just a word of caution. 

http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yourself/
http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yourself/dadant-type-frames/

« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 04:26:17 am by Jim 134 »
        Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2015, 04:43:30 am »
That's ok, i plan on building my own extractor too.  :smile: i

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2015, 05:18:23 am »
 Do you plan on making your own wax mill to ?

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :smile:
        Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2015, 09:28:27 am »
Not on my plans list, but you never know. The deeps will be alright as I don't plan on extracting them. Going to try to keep them as brood anyway. I am going to buy some and throw foundation in the bought ones and the homemade ones will be foundation less. Time will tell how they work together.

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2015, 11:53:47 pm »
I buy my wooden frames cheaper than I can make them.
Takes too much time changing saw blades for the amount of cuts made.
I give $83.00 a hundred for them.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2015, 09:52:48 pm »
It does take time. Took me all day to make 220 frames from scratch in fact.. Tedious and boring, but not unbearably so.   Made from 1" barn boards I got for hauling them away.. so, minus a couple dollars for gas, I made close to 180 dollars today..   I figure any day I can make more than a hundred dollars doing something I enjoy is a good day.
   BTW, the tool shop carbide blades work pretty well for making frames. One blade so far, 220 frames, 22 boxes, 5 bottom boards, 5 reversible inner covers, and 5 tele covers, PLUS 5 double medium nucs, bottom boards, migratory covers. Still need to make the frames for those. Thats tomorrow.  I got those blades on sale for 6 dollars, buy one, get one free, limit 5 per purchase, so I went back in three times...   :tongue:

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2015, 11:56:44 pm »
OldMech

Did you drill 4 holes in the end bars ??
Also did you cut wedge tops ??

I get deep frames for $69.00 hundred

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :smile:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 12:11:16 am by Jim 134 »
        Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2015, 01:12:49 am »
I only use mediums. saves time and effort.. when i make them for other people i do drill the holes, when i make them for me I dont, because I dont need to cross wire them. if i ever start blowing them out in the extractor maybe I will start, but as of this point, they have extracted very nicely.
   No on the wedge tops either.. i am really hoping the bees dont notice and reject the frames    :grin:

this is how I do it!   http://www.outyard.net/frames.html

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2015, 09:48:05 am »
Old
Thanks for taking the time to document and explain.
gww