Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lightning Bugs  (Read 8073 times)

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Lightning Bugs
« on: July 22, 2014, 06:41:54 am »
Are fire flies moving north with global warming? 

As a kid we never had any around here, now they’re everywhere.

Just wondering what other people have observed?

Offline kingd

• New Bee
Re: Lightning Bugs
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 10:17:52 am »
I remember seeing them as a kid but never in the amounts or as early as I do now.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 12:11:40 pm »
My kids caught them in the early 70's in western Illinois.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 12:17:01 pm »
I cought them in Iowa as a kid

Offline nella

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 12:29:42 pm »
I have been on my farm for the last seventy yrs., as a child there were a lot of lighting bugs and in the late 50ies early 60ies they disappeared untill about 6 years ago they started to appear again and are as plenty full as when I was a child.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 01:15:07 pm »
I saw them growing up in PA from the 50's to the 80"s. I am told they hardly ever see them there any more.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 04:32:44 pm »
The earth runs on cycles and everything on it does also pretty much. When I was a kid we had lots of them, then they disappeared and now they are back here also. We had a cabin up north on lake erie when I was a kid, and they were there no problem. we of course did the whole catching them in jars things constantly.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 10:01:50 pm »
The earth runs on cycles and everything on it does also pretty much. When I was a kid we had lots of them, then they disappeared and now they are back here also. We had a cabin up north on lake Erie when I was a kid, and they were there no problem. we of course did the whole catching them in jars things constantly.

We were on vacation, last month, in the Smokey Mountains. They have warnings in the park now that it is illegal to collect lightning bugs. There are thousands and thousands up there and the kids cannot do what we did for years.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 04:15:55 am »

We were on vacation, last month, in the Smokey Mountains. They have warnings in the park now that it is illegal to collect lightning bugs. There are thousands and thousands up there and the kids cannot do what we did for years.
Jim

It's only illegal if you get caught  ;)

Seriously, ever hear of Civil Disobedience?  Good lesson for the kids right there.
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline msgoldielocks

• New Bee
Lightning Bugs
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 10:33:21 am »
The earth runs on cycles and everything on it does also pretty much. When I was a kid we had lots of them, then they disappeared and now they are back here also. We had a cabin up north on lake Erie when I was a kid, and they were there no problem. we of course did the whole catching them in jars things constantly.

Jim

It's illegal to pick plants or bother any wildlife in the national park. Not so in your backyard :)

I moved to lower Alabama about 5 years ago and there weren't any fireflies, last year we saw a few and this year a few more.

Offline itsme

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 08:46:19 am »
Part of my childhood was spent just east of Ypsilanti, Michigan.  We had a LOT of lightening bugs then.  Used to catch them in jars, make rings, etc.  They do seem to come and go, wax and wane.  I guess most things do.  Some years I see more of them here in Missouri than other years.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 10:49:59 pm »
You must not be paying attention to the weather.  It's global cooling...

http://www.tpnn.com/2014/03/17/weather-channel-founder-explains-the-history-of-the-global-warming-hoax/
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 04:27:34 am »
ha ha.   :laugh:

We did have a BRUTAL winter this year.  Actually set new cold and snow records here.  However it sure didn't phase the fire flies.  The fire flies are almost as abundant as the mosquitoes.

It's interesting that so many people have reported dramatic changes in the populations of the fire flies.

Offline kingd

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 11:02:25 am »
I was hoping that last winter was going to put a dent in the mosquito population.
 Nope it didn't. :-\

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 06:47:55 pm »
I was hoping that last winter was going to put a dent in the mosquito population.
 Nope it didn't. :-\

Why would you expect a cold winter to get rid of them? Alaska has mosquito's so bad that the caribou loose a couple of quarts of blood a day to these pests. This in the land where soil never fully defrosts.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 02:38:55 am »
Because it was colder in Michigan last winter than it was in Alaska.

I was sitting in the the kitchen this evening and had two lightening bugs crawling up my legs.  They are everywhere!  Glad they don't bite.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 09:30:20 am »
Glorified Love bugs

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2014, 01:21:31 am »
Reviving this thread : I've joked for years that we have one or two neighborhood fireflies in my area of Dallas.  We see one in our yard and it flats to our neighbor's yard, and so on.  Recall them thick as could be in South Texas when I was a child.  Good to hear they're returning in some areas.  Global warming must not be all bad.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2015, 04:57:20 pm »
Now we got love bugs here driving is dangerous

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 06:14:56 pm »
Be glad you don't ride a motorcycle, Jay.  A mouthful of those critters?  Whoooee.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2015, 12:35:25 am »

I've driven the roads of the Sunshine State many times.  It's NOT the love bugs that's making the roads dangerous.  It's the drivers who are too blind to even see a love bug!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2015, 06:41:42 am »

I've driven the roads of the Sunshine State many times.  It's NOT the love bugs that's making the roads dangerous.  It's the drivers who are too blind to even see a love bug!

That is because all they can see is love bug guts (on the windshield)  :grin:
Ben Franklin