Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Repairing warping supers  (Read 2313 times)

Offline SouthAussieBeekeeper

• House Bee
Repairing warping supers
« on: October 14, 2018, 04:09:51 am »
I built my own supers. Many of them are suffering from the same problem as shown in these photos:

https://imgur.com/a/d7rekAC

I've noticed that the joint is the weakest part of the super. It's probable that water is able to seap in through here. That, added with all the weight from the honey, seems like it's causing my supers to split apart slowly over time.

I used glue and nails initially to fix the sides together. It seems like I used a poor quality glue as over time it's appeared to shrivel up and not actually help the sides stick together. I tried to redeem this by adding screws, which has helped but regardless over time they're still bending apart as seen in the photos.

I'm not sure what to do at this point in time. I could tear apart the supers, take off all the sides and then put them back together with fresh glue, nails and screws. I'm not sure if it's going to be possible to straighten out the bends much. I could also try using a clamp to apply pressure for it to push back into itself, then use a screw to hold it in place.

I figure though that if I was to do this, in a few years time I'll have the same problem. I've been thinking about getting scrap pieces of metal, to put around these corners to not only apply some physical structure to hold it in place, but to act as a physical barrier to mitigate water ruining the corners.

I'm pretty unsure and inexperienced when it comes to this stuff so any feedback is appreciated.

Offline blackforest beekeeper

• Field Bee
Re: Repairing warping supers
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 04:23:40 am »
the supers don`t look as if they have seen a lot of rain? you got good covers?

first: the heart of the tree goes to the outside. can`t tell from the pictures.

second: if you got a moisture problem, use glue that is really water-resistant. D4 in Germany. two components.

third: nails are pretty useless unless large enough. you need to clamp down on that fresh glue. nails too little or not hammered in enough wont do that. I do that by using screws. 4 x 60 or 5 x 60 depending on how thick the side-board is. I use a relatively dense pattern, some use less. On a deep, maybe four screws 5x60.

for now: I would add glue where you can, clamp it together, screw well. keep rain from getting on them as well as feasible.

Offline SouthAussieBeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 04:56:08 am »
I don't have good covers. I do live in the driest state of Australia, which is the driest continent in the world. Furthermore there's been a drought going on for years here. It just doesn't rain that much.

I did make sure to get the heart correct when building these.

I wonder if my nails are long enough, maybe that's part of the problem.

So you would suggest not to tear it apart and put it back together, but rather to put some glue down where it's peeling, and then clamp and screw it in place?

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 11:55:29 am »
On a joint like that the nails are mainly there to hold it in place until the glue drys.  If you don't use a good quality glue that joint will almost always fail when exposed to the weather even with long nails.  To repair them I would spread the apart and squeeze some good glue in the gap.  Then clamp them tight and insert some screws. 

Offline blackforest beekeeper

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 11:56:42 am »
probably would. would have to hold it in hands to decide. if you think you cann take apart without breaking, you can try that, too. I recommen drilling holes into the outer wood so as not to splinter the wood.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 04:47:39 pm »
I put mine together with wood screws and glue.  When I have a choice I get box joints which are screwed from both directions...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything