Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Armadillos  (Read 2526 times)

Offline Blacksheep

• House Bee
  • william e smith
Armadillos
« on: June 18, 2017, 08:16:27 pm »
Well I am sure everyone is staying very busy wit t he bees this time of the season!
We are beginning to have problems with the critters(Armadillos) eating our bees!
My friend had several hives  and they eat the bees and deposited them at the same location!Piles of Poop full of bees.They got some of mine also and tried vainlyy to get into them but I did have reducers on the entrances which helped. Those pesky critters are going to be a problem.We never had any until about 5 years ago and we began to see a few now they are every where!UGH
Anyone else have these critters raiding the hives?

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
Re: Armadillos
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 08:48:35 pm »
Skunk.  I put some carpet tack strips on a 2 foot square piece of plywood and placed that in front of the hives.  Seemed to help.
You are what you think.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 08:01:41 am »
Not sure this would work as well with armadillos as it does with skunks but raise your hives up high enough that they have to expose their underbelly when they are at the front of the hive. The bees will take care of them if there is any soft tissue exposed.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 08:20:40 am »
Do armadillos actually eat bees?
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 08:32:00 am »
Do armadillos actually eat bees?
Most animals will eat insects for protein.  The more protection they have against the bees the more they eat.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 06:25:10 pm »
Are your hives on ground? Trap them

anything