Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Selling a nuc.  (Read 4824 times)

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
Re: Selling a nuc.
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2021, 09:28:18 am »
I use the Pro Nuc that Betterbee sells, easier and more versatile to use than the EZ nuc and you can add a bottle feeder.  They sell most of their nucs in the Pro Nuc.  Of course the price of the box is included with the nuc.

Thanks for the tip beesnweeds....I will check these out..

beesnweeds the picture at betterbee did not show the inside of the pro nuc but the outside of the nuc looked very impressive. Thanks

This is a good video.

https://youtu.be/Qj4fT2M0kXg
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2021, 10:04:07 am »
I do not see how these can be improved!  Very impressive! Again thanks beesnweeds... (bee totes)!  😊
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2021, 12:04:23 pm »
I do not see how these can be improved!  Very impressive! Again thanks beesnweeds... (bee totes)!  😊
It would be great if you could supper them, my current wooden nucs I can and add suppers on top
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2021, 12:19:47 pm »
I?ve thought about trying some of the pro nucs. I like the way you feed with them. Once you pull the top insert out of a EZ there?s no going back. I guess you could keep them and try taping back in.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2021, 01:33:44 pm »
It would be great if you could supper them, my current wooden nucs I can and add suppers on top

I agree it would. I am thinking these are primarily for selling nucs for transport but these look to be so well made a person might use these for mating nucs? Especially since they come in a variety of colored tops. Perhaps this duel purpose is what the inventor had in mind?  I do like what I have seen so far.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2021, 02:03:05 pm »
I assume you include the cost of the EZ nuc box in the price of the nuc. Who knows if they house some of their own bees in it before bringing it back?

On this question. The price of the nucleus colony is based on what the whole set is. For the box, the buyer pays the add-on cost of the nuc box - whatever type of box that is. They can supply their own box, and a reduced price will reflect that. Customer supplied boxes must be new or clean and sterile:  wood boxes torched out, plastic boxes acid washed and rinsed. You know the health and condition of your bees before they are transferred into the box. It is important to do what you can to protect them and yourself from picking up pathogens from the transport box that shows up in your beeyard.

The EZnuc is designed as a transport-transfer box. Not intended for bees to live in for any extended period of time, though the bees can be in it for awhile if necessary. I offer a cash-back on the box if it is returned in clean and sound reusable condition within 4 days after pickup. If it is returned within the 4 days I can be fairly comfortable that only my bees and equipment had been in it, and will accept it. Beyond 4 days I do not want it back for reasons of scheduling/logistics of other nuc pickups and biosecurity screening. Being of coreplast material, it is very easy to sterilize by unfolding and cleaning with acid wash should there be concerns. The onus is on the customer to clean it and rinse it out before returning.

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 02:16:47 pm by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2021, 02:14:39 pm »
I have questions on the pro-nuc for those who have used them. If I were to try them, it would be an investment expecting to get multiple years use out of them.
What type of plastic are they made of?
How do they hold up over time? I am thinking about specific things like UV lifespan. How long sitting out in the field until the plastic become brittle and cracking/shattering from basic handling. What about cool/cold weather handling? Does the plastic become brittle at temperatures in the low 30s F? Which is when we would be putting them away or taking them out of storage in tall stacks and pallets at a time.
I like the looks of how they are designed for compact storage.
These questions may belong in a different/new thread, but since we are looking at the pro-nuc a bit here, figured I would ask.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2021, 10:14:10 pm »
I like the Pro Nuc idea better than the EZ nuc, but it seems to me that if the bees are given any time to build, there will be burr comb all in it. With the beveled sides (so they can stack), and the high top, it seems bee space must be badly sacrificed. Is that not an issue?
Not to mention, it seems might drafty compared to a wooden nuc for early spring cold snaps.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2021, 10:36:58 pm »
I like the Pro Nuc idea better than the EZ nuc, but it seems to me that if the bees are given any time to build, there will be burr comb all in it. With the beveled sides (so they can stack), and the high top, it seems bee space must be badly sacrificed. Is that not an issue?
Not to mention, it seems might drafty compared to a wooden nuc for early spring cold snaps.

Your questions are good questions. Maybe  beesnweeds will tell us more.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 11:26:05 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2021, 02:39:36 pm »
Let me ressurect this thread to add a few questions.
When you beeks sell a nuc, do you always have the queen already marked?
Do you show the customer the marked queen before they drive off your property with the nuc?

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
Selling a nuc.
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2021, 03:00:26 pm »
I mark for the novice.  I may or may not mark for the experienced buyer.  I put my own eyes on her before and as the nuc made.  Nucs are not opened at pickup, lid may be lifted for a peek, but there is no dive-in at pickup merely because of time limits.  If I have lots of time available I may do so but it is rare.  The Queen is always guaranteed there and laying at pickup.  Buyer choice is to take the word or leave the nuc here for someone else.  I deal with solid buyers only.  Anyone shifty at the beginning is going to be a problem later.  Just send those folks away.  I like alot of questions.  There is a difference between questions and looking for out clauses and stiffing phishers.  Recognize the difference and know what to do with them.
The underlying principle is that you need to be fully confident in your bees and the nucs that you are making available.  So confident that you are prepared to immediately on the spot send away any customer that attempts to give you any feelings otherwise. There is nothing elitist about doing so.  It is merely protection and expression of your integrity and elimination of those ankle biter liability risks.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 03:14:13 pm by TheHoneyPump »

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2021, 05:19:57 pm »
Let me ressurect this thread to add a few questions.
When you beeks sell a nuc, do you always have the queen already marked?
Do you show the customer the marked queen before they drive off your property with the nuc?

Only mark the queen if requested, sometimes I will pop open the lid for a quick peek but never pull and frames.
My nucs are always strong and have a good laying queen.
I explain to newbies that the bees are livestock and they are responsible for them.
Seasoned beekeepers normally drive in load up and go.
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2021, 09:49:08 pm »
Thanks for the advice, guys. Points taken.
I will mark the queens if I see them through the fall or spring.

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2021, 09:08:48 pm »
You have good instincts about the burr comb. Don't leave bees in that box for long it will be slap full of wax everywhere, a big old mess.  In all other respects brilliant design and easy to use and reuse.

anything