Welcome, Guest

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Welcome to Beemaster, Frank!  :happy:
Franks Pic

Hi all, I am Frank Cooper. User name flcooper1954. It is my first initial, middle initial of wife, last name, and year we were born. I have (hopefully) added a pic of my first hive (DEFINITELY A NEWBEE HERE!), and plan to train the grape vines from each side to make a shade top. It will also help "direct the bees flight path" 180 degrees away from my neighbors yard. Thanks for all the great info.

Years ago I had two cotton farmers in my church, Jim and David.  Jim planted and spent no more money on his crops.  David said. "I apply every horticultural advantage I can to produce the highest possible yield."
This is a perfect example of how "natural" doesn't always work for everyone, depending on your situation and your goals.  The other problem is that everyone definition of "natural" is different, especially in beekeeping.  I would consider myself a natural beekeeper, but I wouldn't fit many people's definition because I inspect my bees, or because I don't have horizontal hives, or because I do sometimes treat.  It's more about finding what works for you than fitting anyone else's arbitrary standards.

I had that exact thought - finding what works for me here.
Years ago I had two cotton farmers in my church, Jim and David.  Jim planted and spent no more money on his crops.  David said. "I apply every horticultural advantage I can to produce the highest possible yield."
This is a perfect example of how "natural" doesn't always work for everyone, depending on your situation and your goals.  The other problem is that everyone definition of "natural" is different, especially in beekeeping.  I would consider myself a natural beekeeper, but I wouldn't fit many people's definition because I inspect my bees, or because I don't have horizontal hives, or because I do sometimes treat.  It's more about finding what works for you than fitting anyone else's arbitrary standards. 
Hi Folks,

I bought two 25 pound bags of sugar today, for the house, the bees and the hummingbirds.

Walmart. $19.97 each bag.

Last time I remember getting it I was looking for forty-seven cents a pound. My, how time flys.

Well, everyone in the chain got a raise.

Sal
Aaaah, ok, thanks for that explanation.
Sounds like a humbling experience and everyone's nightmare. Hope your next round goes much better.

Thanks, Terri.

We have problems here with Fire Ants and Africanized bees, not to mention the mites.

Long gone, I guess, are the days of easy management of bee hives.

Loose debris in a cell, including loose eggs, get removed (possibly consumed).  When the queen lays an egg it's glued to the bottom standing upright.  I don't know how to glue it in such a way as to not damage it.  Even one that is still glued to the bottom (i.e. in queen cells or in cells turned sideways as in the Hopkins method) just get removed if they are not needed for queens and not already larvae.  With a Jenter system I have "grafted" (removed the plug in the bottom and put it into a plastic cell cup) larvae and they remove them.  With the Hopkins method you turn a comb flatways.  Again, when attempting to use eggs, they just remove them.
You could possibly cut out a small section of comb with eggs for him, which won't have a major impact on your new hive. I do this quite frequently when requeening and it seems to work well.
I was wondering about something like that. Thanks, I'll look into that. Could a few eggs possible be picked out with a dental pic and placed into his comb?

Not quite like NigelP method; I learned this from a Fellow in another country a few years ago.

Here is the original post.

A unique way to develop queens.

<<on: April 24, 2020, 02:06:10 pm >>

With the recent talk of queen rearing and grafting, I have decided to share the following. I am learning form a fellow in the middle east, (Turkey), that raises queens differently from anyone that I have studied anywhere in the world. Translation of languages on google sure helps! What he does is place the queen in a queen excluder cage that holds an empty brood frame. placing this right back in the hive. When the larva is the right age, and all will be the same age in each area, he removes this frame, cuts a long strip of this comb with the contained larva, shaves off a small portion of the comb face, leaving the larva automatically in a shallower cup than was original. Then, cuts these into one pieces cups separating them , placing them in a Nicot holding holder, (The pale yellow cell cup block), (the one that you would normally place the little hard pale brown cell cups in), securing these on the bar lined up as a normal nicot go round. Then he places a drop of wet wax to make sure the cups are bonded in place, then adding this set up to his cell builder, and the results are astonishing! The larva are never disturbed.

Phillip

https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=53547.msg483414#msg483414
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
anything