Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Does cornmeal have any nutritional value for honeybees ?  (Read 3536 times)

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Does cornmeal have any nutritional value for honeybees ?
« on: September 05, 2017, 01:10:33 pm »
Is there such a thing as a pollen dearth ?
Does cornmeal have any nutritional value for honeybees ??

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :-)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Does cornmeal have any nutritional value for honeybees ?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 05:16:20 pm »
You live in New Hampshire ... how much pollen do you think there is in Dec, Jan, and Feb?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 05:31:57 pm »
"Does cornmeal have any nutritional value for honeybees ??"
Corn meal is almost all complex carbohydrates and a little of neonicitinoids.
The bees need protein. Not much protein in it.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 05:37:11 pm »
As a homemade pollen sub I think brewer's yeast would be a better choice. Even better, a prepared pollen sub. I use Mann Lake and it seems to work well at times the bees need it. If they have other options they will either ignore it and SHB move into it, or they will haul it all outside and dump it.
Neill

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 09:43:45 pm »
You live in New Hampshire ... how much pollen do you think there is in Dec, Jan, and Feb?
Maybe he keeps his bees in a heated greenhouse with flowers and grow lights all winter. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 06:17:29 am »

Sure - that's why they store it.  But, luckily pollen doesn't only come from seasonal flowers - pollen can be sourced from trees, hedges, and even from grass - ask any hay-fever sufferer !

There was a rather interesting 2010 Hungarian study in which the mineral content of pollen from sunflowers and willow was compared with pollen collected by honey-bees within that immediate area - which may be of some interest:

The following are figures given for mineral content (determined by atomic absorption spectroscopy), flower-pollen first, honeybee-collected pollen second (mg/kg):

Potassium: 7294.70 vs 4334.17
Calcium:   5492.78 vs 2020.23
Magnesium: 1764.86 vs 692.61
Zinc: 75.01 vs 35.83

Iron is a special case, with an unexceptional 325.29 vs 122.87 for willow, but a huge dilution of 2872.89 vs 27.42 for sunflowers. From studies conducted in other countries there appears to be little consensus regarding the normal range of honeybee pollen iron content - it varies wildly.

So it seems that honeybees are diluting mineral-rich pollens with (lower-grade ?) pollen from other sources.  Make of that what you will.
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 10:16:14 am »
Is there info on cotton seed meal?  The analysis seem very favorable, but I am concerned about the bad man made stuff.

Online gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 10:22:22 am »
The first few flying days of spring the bees are all over my cracked corn that I give my chickens.  I guess when they are desperate, they will get what they get.  I would not feed it but the bees don't mind stealing from the chickens.
Cheers
gww

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 08:36:44 am »
Paus
With all the stuff they use on cotton to grow it I would be more worried about cotton seed meal.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 01:52:05 pm »
Jim

Thank you. I have my bees located.. it is about 50 yards to the ground cornmeal bin... lots of bees go in there this time of year. As well as in the springtime.. every at any given time there is probably at least three ton in the ground cornmeal in the cornmeal bin..

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 01:56:08 pm »

Yes I do live in New Hampshire. The thing is my bees are in Vermont. The closest road for me to get there is through Massachusetts..LOL

Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 02:30:05 pm »
Jim

Thank you. I have my bees located.. it is about 50 yards to the ground cornmeal bin... lots of bees go in there this time of year. As well as in the springtime.. every at any given time there is probably at least three ton in the ground cornmeal in the cornmeal bin..

I have had bees collect black powder, probably from a forest fire, and store it in the comb. Not much nutritional value.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 10:34:30 am »
     I have had bees collect black powder, probably from a forest fire, and store it in the comb. Not much nutritional value.
Jim

I'm glad the bees are not in the Sawdust  bin LOL..At about any given time there is about least 10 to 12  yards of sawdust in it ..This is perhaps 75 yd from my bee hives.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 09:02:19 pm by Jim 134 »
        Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

anything