Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Legal advice  (Read 15462 times)

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
Re: Legal advice
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2018, 10:14:07 am »
Update:
Guns are gone.  My wife called the sheriff and let the secretary know that we found guns in a storage bin.  She wanted all kinds of information about the guns that my wife didn't know.  About 20 minutes later a Utica cop shows up at the gate and follows a customer through.  Typical stupid Utica cop.  Now what are you going to do buddy?  There is over 500 storage bins all locked.  Mind you we are not open yet.  Of course he comes back and my wife tells him to meet her at bin #...  The first thing the cops says is who would put guns in a storage bin?  I suppose the question should be who would turn them in?  Then he goes off on my wife for not having the keys to take off the trigger locks.  Honest to God how dumb do you have to be to be a cop?  Well anyway he would only take the guns and ammo and nothing else.
I think it was a good idea to call the sheriff because it involved two forms of law enforcement so the cop couldn't just walk off with the guns for himself.
BTW I looked as the Smith and Wesson closer this time it was a .357 magnum not a 45.
My wife said if she had to do it over again she would bury them in the back yard and flip law enforcement the bird.

And these stupid cops are the same militarized cops that you want to be the only armed people in a given area.

Glad you got your situation resolved.  A crying pity such fine firearms ended up with NY's stupidest.

Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2018, 10:24:17 am »
Hops, you are wining about something that is never going to go your way.  There will always be no gun zones and most likely the areas will increase not decrease.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2018, 10:33:01 am »
And there will be more mass killings at those killing zones.  That is what these politicians want so they can take our guns away.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2018, 10:53:59 am »
Ace, I'm not whining about anything.  I was pointing out your stated reliance upon the police to save you in the event of an emergency, yet you were complaining about how stupid they are.  You also advocate for citizens to be dis-armed.
Still posting your feelings instead of thinking?
Over 90% of mass shootings occur in no-weapon zones, while the AVERAGE US POLICE RESPONSE TIME IS 8 MINUTES

A lot of dis-armed citizens can die in the time it takes for a "stupid" (your terminology, not mine) cop to show up.
Winter is coming.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2018, 05:08:48 pm »
You also advocate for citizens to be dis-armed.

I certainly do not.  But I also don't believe there is any liable protection from a citizen based police force or some adaptation of the wild, wild west.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2018, 12:48:11 pm »
You also advocate for citizens to be dis-armed.

I certainly do not.  But I also don't believe there is any liable protection from a citizen based police force or some adaptation of the wild, wild west.

hmmm, you do understand that in the U.S. the police are, in fact, a civilian police force, as per the Constitution, yes?
It is only in recent years that the questionable policy of police militarization has been occurring.
Yet you still insist that these "stupid" police are supposed to come in an average of 8 minutes to protect us in so-called gun-free zones, and that we have no right to carry weapons to protect ourselves from immediate threat to life and limb.  You are flat wrong there.  In fact, the 9th circuit court  (one of the most liberal courts in the country!) just last week handed down the opinion that all law-abiding citizens , have the right to open-carry arms.  No, the militarized police do not need "gun free",  gestapo free-fire zones as you advocate. 
Winter is coming.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2018, 01:07:04 pm »
one more point;
The "the wild, wild West" you're so afraid of is largely myth of dime novels and movie screen.
The modern strict gun-controlled areas like NYC, Chicago, Wash. DC and Detroit are much, much more violent than the Wild West ever was.
Winter is coming.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2018, 06:07:02 pm »
Well Hops you could waltz over to Yellowstone with your six shooter and test out the ruling.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2018, 11:48:43 am »
Did and done.  Just certain buildings the Federalis forbid it.
National Park regulations state that carrying firearms in NPs are subject to the laws of the State in which the park is located.  Simple.  WY is an avidly open carry state.  And concealed carry without permit, for law abiding WY citizens.
Winter is coming.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2018, 01:37:10 pm »
National Park regulations state that carrying firearms in NPs are subject to the laws of the State in which the park is located.  Simple.  WY is an avidly open carry state.  And concealed carry without permit, for law abiding WY citizens.

Good to know.  But, Hops, why does anyone open carry?  I was glad when Texas passed open carry because then I couldn't be penalized if my weapon printed or otherwise was visible, but I kind dislike the idea of being the first one to go down if bad guys decide to rob my neighborhood store where I happen to be shopping just because they can see that I'm armed.  I can see that if you have enough guns showing, there'd be a major deterrent, but I'm just curious about the other  advantages of open carry.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2018, 01:46:20 pm »
Dallas,
People behave so much better when they know other people around them are armed.
In Israel, almost all Israelis carry Uzis. Only the Suicidal ones act badly.

Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2018, 01:52:59 pm »
Dallas,
People behave so much better when they know other people around them are armed.
In Israel, almost all Israelis carry Uzis. Only the Suicidal ones act badly.

Jim

Well, that's what I meant when I wrote that if enough guns are showing, but I don't want to be the one known armed citizen in a place about to be robbed.  Some of these kids are so crazy they'd shoot you for kicks when they didn't really come in planning to use their guns for anything but intimidation.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2018, 05:41:50 pm »
Dallas,
I was in a restaurant with my shooting buddies one hot night. One buddy is a federal marshal. This night he had his weapon exposed and he was on the end of the booth. Three men walked in wearing trench coats. He spotted them as they entered. They walked around the far end of the restaurant and then came past us. They saw his gun and continued walking and left by the emergency exit. I suspect if he wasn?t carrying exposed, we would probably been involved with a mass robbery.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2018, 08:41:46 pm »
Dallas,
I was in a restaurant with my shooting buddies one hot night. One buddy is a federal marshal. This night he had his weapon exposed and he was on the end of the booth. Three men walked in wearing trench coats. He spotted them as they entered. They walked around the far end of the restaurant and then came past us. They saw his gun and continued walking and left by the emergency exit. I suspect if he wasn?t carrying exposed, we would probably been involved with a mass robbery.
Jim

Yes, that probably resulted in you not being involved in a shootout or robbery or something, but those guys didn't give up their lives of crime as a result.  They just found a softer target, don't you think?   I sure don't want to go looking for trouble, but I want to be prepared if trouble finds me.  I have very conflicted feelings about the whole matter as you might imagine.  As a prosecuter,  I used to like talking to criminals I had helped convict.  Not talking about somebody who was maybe a one-time felon, but career criminals.  We nailed one guy for 89 burglaries that we could prove.  He was maybe 35-40 years old and had been a lifelong criminal.  He agreed that it was really strange that he learned locksmithing at San Quentin.  Most of these guys were very likable and easy to talk with about their criminal careers.  The drug dealers were never open to discussions, though. 

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2018, 08:54:25 pm »
Jim, I totally agree about people being better behaved when a lot of them are armed.  That's why there really were not many gunfights at the OK Corral, or most anyplace else in the old west.  Those cowboys all carried guns, but I doubt if many of them really were good shots, or were gunslingers like in the movies.  The "old west" lasted about 10 years around the 1880s.  Most cowboys, if they had a gun at all, carried them to shoot snakes and coyotes.  The gunslingers like Wyatt Earp, the James brothers, the Daltons, Billy the Kid and so on were social misfits who lasted a few years.  The dime novels written for the people back east were mostly fiction.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2018, 09:36:23 pm »
but those guys didn't give up their lives of crime as a result.
Nor are they worried about a farmer with a pistol.  I am certain if they wanted to they could take out Hops in a heartbeat.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2018, 11:04:06 pm »
but those guys didn't give up their lives of crime as a result.
Nor are they worried about a farmer with a pistol.  I am certain if they wanted to they could take out Hops in a heartbeat.

Audie Murphy was a farm boy.  A lot of farm boys have proved to have what it takes when the shtf.  Judge not.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2018, 08:00:35 am »
I am not judging.  We are talking about harden criminals, most likely not by themselves.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2018, 08:21:35 am »
The question is simple, Ace. Being faced with a hardened criminal is not a choice. If it happens, do you want to be armed and well trained, or unarmed and helpless? That's all you get to decide.

I'll take armed and well trained any day, whether the outcome is good or bad.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2018, 10:28:49 am »

Good to know.  But, Hops, why does anyone open carry? 
You would have to ask the 'anybody'.  It's an individual choice.
There is a misconception that "open carry" means blatantly obvious carry, such as a fully- outfitted AR10 or AK74 strapped to the back, which just ain't necessarily true.  But hey, those demonstrations are what make the news, so.....

Most of the times I've seen a person carrying openly, it was a smaller framed handgun, worn well-holstered on the hip.  Hardly news worthy.
Winter is coming.

anything