Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: PESTICIDES RESPONSIBLE FOR CCD - Sterling University conducted field study  (Read 17564 times)

Offline czman11

• House Bee
  • Mmmmm honney
I just received this email from bee forum in England:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
With today's news from Stirling University that neonicotinoid pesticides are heavily implicated in the death of honeybees - contrary to what Bayer and the BBKA have told us for the last ten years - we now need some action from the government to improve the regulation of these highly toxic chemicals.

Sterling University has just published the first ever FIELD STUDY that shows neonicotinoids really are killing bees - as some of us have been saying for years. This undermines Bayer's lame attempts to defend their toxic products - they can no longer say that the earlier lab studies are not supported by field research.

Now, will the British Bee Keepers Association finally cut their ties with pesticide manufacturers, get off the fence and actually start to defend our bees?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-17556307

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/9173586/Pesticides-harming-bee-populations-researchers-suggest.html

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/03/neonicotinoids-bee-collapse

- PLEASE LOBBY YOUR LOCAL MP to put pressure on the government to massively improve pesticide regulation

- PLEASE WRITE TO THE BBKA and ask them to support organic agriculture and totally disassociate themselves from pesticide manufacturers once and for all.

Learn from the bees: by working together, we can get results!

Best wishes
" It ain't over 'til it's over "........ Yogi Berra

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
hmmmm pesticides kill bugs  bees are bugs hmmm  really takes a scientist to figure out whats killing the bees.  So what is it all doing to us in the long run ??? Chris

Offline czman11

• House Bee
  • Mmmmm honney
Unfortunately it does not take the scientist to know that pesticides kill the bug. The problem here is that Bayer corporation which was conducting the study and makes these pesticides stated that from their studies, the level of the neonicotines is low enough not to affect the bee. Nothing can be done to stop this toxic chemical to be a part of the pesticides without the study Sterling just conducted. There may be other factors contributing for CCD but now we know who is partially responsible. I sure would hope that based on this study something may be done to stop using these pesticides.

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
Sure not going to admit that its killing the bee when they are making millions upon millions off the stuff its the job of the federal gov to police these idiots but no the gov is letting the fox guard the hen house enuff said.  Chris

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
Follow the money!  Its simple.  If beekeeping dominated agriculture pesticides would bow down to beekeepers and regulations would have to please beekeepers or they would never see the light of day.  Now if apiculture represented a very small part of agriculture (which it does) then the majority of agriculture and products designed around it will dominate the field (which it does).  Unfortunately the corporate world does not care about wild life, particularly bugs that are not readily noticed or seen.  If the pesticides affected bears, deer, beavers, geese, ducks, elk etc. and there was a dramatic reduction in their ability to reproduce or survive winter ect due to weak immune systems or whatnot, there would be a huge public outcry and big laws would be created, and big government oversight programs would be funded.........

BUT FOLKS, WE ARE TALKING ABOUT bugs

You dont notice bugs unless you are actually looking for them or unless they invade your home.  And 99% of the time when bugs are noticed, its time to KILL THE BUGS.   BUGS are BAD.

This study does not suprise me at all.  It is actually what I have already suspected.  What I find really funny it that long term studies on bugs would actually be very cheap in comparison to mammals or crops, etc.  The reason real competent long term studies studies on non target bugs have not been done is because the manufactures dont want to see the results because they know with out a doubt there will be zero data in their favor.

The only way to solve this is competent politicians. The problem with that is all the politicians minds have been compromised the corporations they serve.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline czman11

• House Bee
  • Mmmmm honney
This is very true and our politicians give a rats a$$ about the bees. However, several crops depend on pollination and that is the only argument that may play role in regulating pesticide production. EPA has finally gained some hard data to support their argument so I sure hope something will change. I guess I am one of those people who see the glass half full.   ;)

Offline jredburn

• House Bee
    • Poorboybees
Harvard Univ
Alan Harman
"Imidacloprid, one of the most widely used pesticides, has been named as the likely culprit in the sharp worldwide decline in honey bee colonies since 2006."  End of quote.
The facts are coming in.
That pesticides kill bees.
That pesticide Companies lie about it.
That the EPA hides behind protocol.
Farmers will continue to use pesticides.
Households will continue to use pesticides.
More bees will die.
Crops will begin to fail as  bees die.  Local gardens in my subdivision are failing now.
30% of our food crops will disappear due to lack of pollination.
Our economy will take a severe hit as farm income bottoms out.  Calif and Fl will take horrible hits.
The EPA will fund more studies.
These are not just my predictions folks.  We are standing in the middle of the train tunnel and the light we see is a train. 
Have a nice day.
Regards
Joe

Offline czman11

• House Bee
  • Mmmmm honney
Those are some dark words Joe. Unfortunately, as of right now, nothing is happening to make the situation better. We all know that money walks and bull$hit walks and that is how our government works. Farmers are the ones that need to be educated in these matter since they are the ones to suffer the losses. So, if the government does nothing, farmers may curb their use of pesticides or switch to different kind of insect control. To me, it is not just the EPA but also FDA and USDA should be dealing with this matter. After all, farmers' products will end up on our plates. These pesticides are toxic to bugs as they are toxic to humans. I was in the army and when I was in Fort Campbell during my PLDC (Primary Leadership Development Course), we were conducting land navigation course which led us through corn fields covered in pesticide. You could not escape to be covered in this stuff. A number of people became sick during and after the course and had to be admitted to the hospital for treatment. Symptoms were dizziness, vomiting, mild confusion and headache among others. Of course one could say dehydration but the doctor in the hospital did not see it that way.

Unfortunately everything comes down to money and the economy. So once the hit, which farmers take first, will show dip in the economy. Maybe than the government will do something. Will it be to late? I don't know. I will take a look at the government site to see if a petition was written in this matter and go ahead and sign it. If not, perhaps one should be drawn and enough signatures should be collected in order for the congress to take it up for consideration and hopefully for favorable action.

Paul

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
Farmers growing corn and soybean dont need bees and dont care if they die. 
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jonat

• New Bee
Those are some dark words Joe. Unfortunately, as of right now, nothing is happening to make the situation better.

Well, yes and no. One of the possibilities raised by the study was that the corn syrup used by many beeks to feed bees for winter may have enough of the neonic pesticide in it to have an effect ... in that case, moving away from corn syrup to something else (like cane sugar) might lead to a reduced risk of CCD. 20 parts per billion seems to be a concentration high enough to induce CCD-like losses.

Of course, many bees could be picking up the pesticide by foraging on corn or sunflower plants that that were treated with the pesticide, that is still a risk, will be for a while. But again, beeks can sometimes act accordingly - for example, moving the hives to rest and recover in forests instead of agricultural areas.

And even though the manufacturers will fight it and the regulators seem to be asleep at the wheel and there will not be dramatic action soon, if these research results are replicated, they may lead to responses that mean that fewer people are spraying the pesticides that are causing problems.

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
The EPA doesn't give a darn either. The pesticide companies control them and write their rules to benefit themselves. For example; "emergency" provisional release of new pesticides without testing. Those pesticides never get tested, and never get pulled off the shelves either. Who decides when there is an "emergency" need? Why, the pesticide company of course! The EPA is just as corrupt as the rest of the politicians. It's all about the money, not what is best for the people.

Offline mrchevy3

• New Bee
I just received this email from bee forum in England:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
With today's news from Stirling University that neonicotinoid pesticides are heavily implicated in the death of honeybees - contrary to what Bayer and the BBKA have told us for the last ten years - we now need some action from the government to improve the regulation of these highly toxic chemicals.

Sterling University has just published the first ever FIELD STUDY that shows neonicotinoids really are killing bees - as some of us have been saying for years. This undermines Bayer's lame attempts to defend their toxic products - they can no longer say that the earlier lab studies are not supported by field research.

Now, will the British Bee Keepers Association finally cut their ties with pesticide manufacturers, get off the fence and actually start to defend our bees?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-17556307

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/9173586/Pesticides-harming-bee-populations-researchers-suggest.html

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/03/neonicotinoids-bee-collapse

- PLEASE LOBBY YOUR LOCAL MP to put pressure on the government to massively improve pesticide regulation

- PLEASE WRITE TO THE BBKA and ask them to support organic agriculture and totally disassociate themselves from pesticide manufacturers once and for all.

Learn from the bees: by working together, we can get results!

Best wishes

http://www.naturalnews.com/035920_beekeeper_Illinois_raid.html

Must read !

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
On the other side of that coin,if he did have AFB and was doing nothing about,he was as irresponsible as the chemical company he was researching.
Hopefully he was smart enough to keep more comb samples.

From the Illinois bee law:
  Sec. 2-1. Nuisances. All bees, colonies, or items of bee equipment, where bee diseases, bee parasites or exotic strains of bees exist; or hives that cannot be readily inspected; or colonies that are not registered, are declared to be nuisances to be regulated as prescribed by the Department.
    If the Department finds by inspection that any person is maintaining a nuisance as described in this Section, it shall proceed to regulate the nuisance by methods or procedures deemed necessary for control in accordance with rules and regulations of the Department.
    If the owner or beekeeper cannot be found or will not consent to the terms for regulation of the nuisance, the Department shall notify in writing the owner or beekeeper, disclose the fact that nuisance exits and prescribe the method by which the nuisance may be abated. The notice declaring that a nuisance exists and ordering its abatement shall include:
        (1) a statement of conditions constituting the

nuisance;
        (2) establishment of the time period within which the

nuisance is to be abated;
        (3) directions, written or printed, pointing out the

methods that shall be employed to abate the nuisance;
        (4) a statement of the consequences should the owner

or beekeeper fail to comply.
    The notice may be served personally or by certified mail with a return receipt requested. The directions for abatement of a nuisance may consist of a printed circular, bulletin or report of the Department, the United States Department of Agriculture or others, or an extract from such document.
    If the person so notified refuses or fails to abate the nuisance in the manner and in the time prescribed in the notice, the Department may cause the nuisance to be abated. The Department shall certify, to the owner or beekeeper, the cost of the abatement. The owner or beekeeper shall pay to the Department any costs of that action, within 60 days after certification that the nuisance has been abated. If the costs of abatement are not remitted, the Department may recover the costs before any court in the State having competent jurisdiction.

Every sword has two edges. be careful of the other side.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
AFB is the most hyped crap I have ever seen.

Yes, 100 years ago, when there were no package industry, and honey was the main source for sugar on most kitchen tables, AFB rates were a bit higher. That was because getting a new hive after you lost yours, usually meant getting a few frames of brood from the neighbor. And AFB was spread in this manner. So to protect the honey industry, which was vital then, states started inspection programs. Hard to suggest that it carries the same importance when better than 70% of honey is imported today.

There is no significant difference between AFB in states with, and states without inspection programs. The whole "We need inspectors due to AFB" has been used for years to fund a few more state employees.

Bees from package producers and nuc producers that have their reputations on the line, cause almost NO AFB. AFB is mainly found in repeat offenders hives. Meaning the spread of AFB is very low.

Now CCD has been the source for funding. And some are hoping for AHB problems to continue funding down the road. They have been waiting for AHB for years now.

If a beekeeper has AFB, it is a self correcting problem. Bees die, the beekeeper either take care of it, or he gets out of the bee industry. If a producer spreads AFB, every knows about, and they buy elsewhere.

This man lost his livelyhood cause of concerns of overblown hype of AFB. It would even be hard to think that others could of gotten AFB even if his hives got robbed out. It just does not happen.

If we had no more inspectors in this state, I don't think you would have a spike in AFB. Making the whole inspection program mainly useless since this is the primary reasoning for state inspection programs.

You want to inspect hives going across the country, I could see that. Stealth inspections in the winter, burning his hives, and making him prove he did not have AFB, did what? Did he need saved from himself?

Should not have happened the way it did.

BTW....this is from a former state bee inspector.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
However,If he did have AFB and did nothing about he was in the wrong too.This is once again only one side of the story being told. I wonder if there was more to the story than the end result.
See his video on this thread.
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,37711.0.html

Some of the statements here do not help his scientific cause.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
IMHO We are not getting the whole story and we may not.

BEEY HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
I am not a proponent of big government.I question the inspection programs. I also question if he had disease and possibly was trying to pin it as something else,caused by someone else. Did I mention that two edged sword?
If he had AFB ,was warned to do something about it and ignored the warnings would someone with a nearby apiary have any reason to be concerned if the DOA did not act in the prescribed manner. That is the only reason I pasted that section of the Illinois bee law.Would lack of enforcement be as big of a crime as ignoring the bee laws in the state. If his hives were clean,he has a case for reimbursement and compensation. If he has been doing an extended study he should have all his documentation if he were blowing the whistle.Perhaps there is no documentation,it was never  mentioned.
Do you think theres a reason it never hit the big news circuit or ACLU(ugh) is not all over it?
11 hives also does not create a livelihood. Again I would like to see the other side.