Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: problems already  (Read 2870 times)

Offline crispy

• House Bee
problems already
« on: September 08, 2020, 07:57:11 pm »
Hi all had a peak at the hive /nuc this morning and i have a number f dead bees outside the entrance not a great deal only about 4 or so now i know bees dont live forever anyone have this happen ? ive had these bees for 4 days only what im thinking is maybe  1 the smash of heat on monday may have caused this ,2 someone has sprayed them if they have noticed them on plants or have sprayed pesticide over there plants ,3 its just old bees dying or 4 ive got a problem i cant find an answer to in any of my reference books , 5 its just normal .
The way my luck is going if i went in a raffel being bald i would win a comb any help greatly appreciated cheers   

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: problems already
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 08:47:37 pm »
3 and 5.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 08:48:36 pm »
crispy - 4 dead bees don't maked a problem.
Let them bee for a while.
Check in a week or so. Bee happy!

Offline crispy

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 09:22:46 pm »
Hi guys on observing the hive i believe they are under attack ,my reasoning for this is larger bees coming at the hive and noticed them what looked like fighting on the ground being is it is a new nuc i dont know how they will fair against an establshed colony  as i say only my observations at present i have to go out ill see wht is happening in a few hours time .

Offline crispy

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 12:21:44 am »
Well im back after 3 hours just went and had a quick peak and they have either been victorius or been over run , all dead bees are gone from the front of the hive and there is a lot of activity at the entrance with bees coming and going . I was going to transfer them to the real hive tomorrow can anyone advise the best time to do the transfer .

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 03:42:21 am »
Hi Crispy

Anytime through the middle of the day when the suns up and the bees are flying...1000-1400 you cant go wrong.

Move the nuc to the side and put the hive in its place.

Remove 6 frames from the centre of the new hive and place your 5 nuc frames in the middle: in the same order and orientation they were in the nuc.

Centre the frames and pop the 6th empty frame back at the end. Push the frames gently up to gather with any excess space/gaps left at the ends.

Have fun and let us know if you spot your queen! It's good to get eyes on her to keep her safe...also now is the time to start getting an eye for spotting her, its harder once you hive gets packed!

Offline crispy

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 05:10:04 am »
Thanks beenorth i looked through my books but they dont really say when to do this once the sun goes down a bit it starts to get cold here at the moment same as in the morning as it is in a sheltered area where the sun doesnt hit till about 9.00 ,mixed up my bee juice today so im ready to go tomorrow  ,  was watching some bees on a rosemary bush today two had the normal bee colouring on the thorax but the third was a real gold color to small for a queen just normal size ,would that be a juvenile bee or a different type ? and not to be left out was a yellow banded native bee darting about get his bit as well .   

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 08:32:20 am »
There should be a few thousand bees in the hive.  Don't worry about 4 to 100 on a new hive.  By now they should be acclimated and working.  If so you are good to go.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2020, 02:04:49 pm »
I prefer to do nuc transfers into the receiving hive body in the evening, at dusk, just as the sun is going down. This minimizes flightiness and disorientation. The bees spend the night checking out their new space. The next morning they do some orientation flights, and then just get busy being bees doing bee stuff.
Mid-day transfers, in my experience, usually ends up with a lot of flying around, crawly bees, lost bees, clusters on the outside of the hive or on the ground, sometimes even a grand marching out of the entrance almost as quickly as they are being put in the top. Those are the extremes.  By contrast evening transfers are always calm and smooth going, always all in and they stick to the box.

As for bees seen on the ground out front. Per iddee, 3 and 5.

IMHO, hope that helps.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline crispy

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2020, 09:32:56 pm »
Hi all well noticed about 30 bees on the ground outside the hive today dead although it may be normal i am thinking someone is using pesticide on there plants its like a line out the front of the hive maybe im wrong (probably) but its another thought i live in the suburbs so i rekon it is a possibility .

anything