Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Vanishing Bees  (Read 7848 times)

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Vanishing Bees
« on: November 16, 2007, 10:06:25 pm »
Here's an interesting movie on CCD.

Edited to add:  Thoughts on this film.  I only viewed the trailer, but all I could think was that the bees are trying to tell us something.  One guy on the trailer says we've "pushed the bees into industrial mode" and they can't take it, they're dying.  Doesn't that tell us something?  The message I get is our food supply is moving in the wrong direction, it's killing the bees, and it's killing us, not obviously, so it's easy to hide or hard to trace.

Another person on the film mentioned that there are many beekeepers who can't withstand yet another winter of losses.  I read over on Beesource that signs of CCD are showing up already down in Florida

Will we learn our lesson?  :?

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Re: Vanishing Bees
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 08:18:37 am »
It's too bad that this was moved to this subforum where fewer view.  I hope many of you do take the time to check the movie out  :(

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 10:19:52 am »
I asked the mods to move it to the CCD section because that is where it belongs.

I watched the trailer and thought it was very interesting. But telling commerical beekeepers that the chemicals used in the hives and on the fields, telling them that the bees are stressed because of chemicals and  migratory beekeeping. Is akin to insulting them. Telling them the current practices of beekeeping aren't working and they will get all worked up. There was a quote in either Bee Culture or Bee Journal when CCD was starting to become the big issue. And the scientist said that if you are looking to blame this on beekeeping management get out this lecture. People wonder why I am pulling my hair out.

The virus that is being discussed as the cause of CCD is getting a foothold because of the bees weakened immune systems. What is weaking them? Chemicals and stress.

The movie is made by a group called Empowerment Works. It refers to itself as a think tank in action.
http://www.empowermentworks.org/

I sent an email to them to ask for more information.

I didn't mean to offend by asking that it be moved. I thought it would do better if it stayed with the topic it belongs to.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 11:40:14 am »
The link to this topic is still in t6he general posting area!

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 12:12:16 pm »
Well, I saw it as a whole bee issue, not just focusing on colony collapse, but on the whole way we handle the bees.  And the way we think of food.  Colony Collapse is a symptom of the illness, the illness is the way we think we can 'manhandle' nature and still be healthy.  I had also sent them an e-mail asking for more information and will post it when I receive it.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 10:23:04 am »
Here is the reply I got from the film maker:

Hello Ann,

First off, how did you hear about the film? The entire movie will only be shown once I have the funds to finish filming it. In the film industry, you need a trailer to prove your commitment and story telling capabilities. And so I hope that answers your questions. I have been working on this for the past seven months and truth is I am in debt and my partner is no longer willing to pour in money. So this is why we need to raise money quickly so we can finish. If you know anyone who would be interested in donating please tell me (I have a letter I have been circulating). We've paired up with a non-profit so that we can accept tax deductible donations.

Also, if you get a chance, please watch this small clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXircJ_eJ1Y

thank you... and please write back and share with me your thoughts.
Blessed Bee!

Maryam Henein
Writer/Producer/All-around Raconteur
http://www.vanishingbees.com

http://ossmedicinejewelry.etsy.com
(place link in browser)[/quote]

So, basically, the trailer is a fundraiser.  It's compelling, I'd like to see the film finished, but I'm a poor self-employed person, I don't know how much I could give her.

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 03:19:54 pm »

Absolutely not, the tradition of life is people do not change.

As for the little clip up there, I'm confused as to what's going on. It's just a bunch of bees hovering a foot or so off the ground.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 03:34:11 pm »
I got my response yesterday.

HI Brendhan,
It will hopefully come out next year. I cannot afford filming until I raise money. I have been putting in my own money and so has my partner and we now need to stop.
If you know anyone who is willing to give a donation, we have joined with a non profit so gifts are tax deductible.
and every little helps.
How did you hear about my film? Do you read my blog too?

thank you...
Maryam Henein
Writer/Producer/All-around Raconteur
www.vanishingbees.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXircJ_eJ1Y
http://ossmedicinejewelry.etsy.com
(place link in browser)

----- Original Message -----
    To: maryam@vanishingbees.com
    Sent: Monday, November 19, 2007 5:08 PM
    Subject: The Vanishing of the Bees

Hi,

I saw your website for the film, The Vanishing of the bees.
    When does this come out?

Sincerely,
    Brendhan

As you mentioned this is not yet complete film it is in a planning stage. I guess we will have to see what happens.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 05:35:31 pm »
All I can think of is all those bees with little paintbrushes, looking happy. :-D  They haven't heard of polyerathane yet....
Rick

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 10:13:31 pm »

Absolutely not, the tradition of life is people do not change.

As for the little clip up there, I'm confused as to what's going on. It's just a bunch of bees hovering a foot or so off the ground.
  kind of looks like they dumped out some pollen sub on the ground and the bees are in a frenzy over it -what will they think of next?  :) RDY-B

Offline BeeQuest

• Brood
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 06:37:25 pm »
I am searching for pictures or film of inspected beehive(s) that was hit by CDD.

Where could I find that :?

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 09:05:12 pm »
This Gal lives in Santa Monica california I've talked to her before and she filmed me at my hives in China town.She has also talked to Dee Lusby in Arizona a small cell commercial beekeeper.De hasn't treated her bees with anything since the 80's.
This Gal Maryhem is in Oracle Arizona this week end filming the Organic beekeepers Convention.I have talked to her often she has good intentions.I'm sure the movie will turn out.

I suggested she go to the convention and to go interview Dee Lusby and to make sure she meets Michael Bush.

I have talke at the enpowermentworks net work once about beekeeping.This was done with a Gal from Maine who had bees and a organic farm she shared her views abot chemicals.

It will be very good if we could purchase a copy of what she films at the convention.
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 08:14:25 pm »
>I suggested she go to the convention and to go interview Dee Lusby and to make sure she meets Michael Bush.

She interviewed several people at the convention including me.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin