Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is there any benefit to a hive stand with landing board?  (Read 17714 times)

Offline paus

• Field Bee
Re: Is there any benefit to a hive stand with landing board?
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2023, 11:52:52 am »
I thought the sloped "mouse ramps" looked cool so I made some DSBB with the ramps.  The bees NEVER used it.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2023, 12:17:00 pm »
They do look cool Plus, I agree! Perhaps a sloped ramp might be handy when introducing a swarm to its new home hive location? But even still, personally I do fine without it in this case too.  I use a piece of plywood laid against the two inch lip that I described earlier, for that purpose. Which by the way, another good advantage for the two inch lip or 'landing area' if you will, in my opinion.
Please do not misunderstand me, I am not advocating 'for, nor against' a sloped entrance. A beekeeper should do waterever works best for them and their program, per their methods of beekeeping. Experience is a wonderful teacher and there is more than one successful way of doing things in beekeeping.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2023, 01:41:08 pm »
I think it  depends a bit on your climate. In early spring  (UK) day time temps vary quite quickly and bees that are out flying and  hit by sudden cold when returning to hives seem to aim at entrance, landing above and below and if no ramp fall to ground and die.. Those that land on the "ramps" at least have a chance to walk into the hive. When I didn't use what we call landing boards I often saw a pile of dead bees below hive in spring.  Less so since I've used them.

In summer I often see bees taking ythe "evening breeze" out walking them.