Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Assassin bugs  (Read 3233 times)

Offline Occam

• House Bee
Assassin bugs
« on: July 16, 2023, 08:10:29 pm »
Here in my area (Oklahoma, USA) we have a few species of assassin bugs which is great around the garden for keeping different pests under control. This year however I've noticed every time I go out to visit the bees I'll find at least one or two crawling around the hives, as many as 4 one time. Many times I've found them with a bee clutched having snagged it to snack on. I also happened to find one inside the lid when I removed the telescoping lid (between the inner cover and telescoping lid). The bees generally seem to keep their distance but they definitely get caught and killed, and I'm sure more than I'm aware of as well. Have any of you ever had problems with these guys, and if so what do you do? I have been knocking them down and killing them with my boot or cutting them in half with my knife when I find them, unsure of what else to do. Or should I even bother and just let nature take its course?
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Assassin bugs
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2023, 08:47:24 pm »
Friend Wheel Bug!  I love wheel bugs, so personally, if it was me, I'd just let them eat the bees.  :embarassed:  They probably don't catch more than a few a day anyway.  Or better yet, just pick them up and move them to your garden.  My mom found one in her garden last week, caught a Mexican bean beetle, set it in front of him, and he nailed it immediately!  They are usually quite docile, but their bites are very painful (although not highly venomous or dangerous), so do wear gloves or be careful not to antagonize them if you pick them up.  They put their first pair of legs in the air and do a little ninja dance when they feel threatened.  :grin:  I found a final instar nymph on our sidewalk the other day, coaxed him onto a stick and then onto my sweatshirted arm, and he was cool just hitching a ride to the garden.  As you say, they are phenomenal for garden pest control, as they are an apex predator of the insect world.  If you put them near another food source, I doubt they'll move back to the bees.         
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2023, 10:29:29 pm »
Unfortunately the garden is only 25 feet from the bees so it's too tempting for them to stay at the garden, ive watched them fly from the garden to the beehive. I'll probably just leave them be from now on, I do like them around the garden just wish they'd leave the bees alone.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2023, 12:38:52 am »
Unfortunately the garden is only 25 feet from the bees so it's too tempting for them to stay at the garden, ive watched them fly from the garden to the beehive. I'll probably just leave them be from now on, I do like them around the garden just wish they'd leave the bees alone.
My hives are closer than that to our garden, and I never have any trouble with them.  Are there lots of other insects in your garden? 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2023, 01:36:21 am »
I've never had any problem with this species of bug Occam, I am sorry that I am not any help on this one..

Phillip
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 06:36:01 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2023, 02:00:02 am »
My hives are closer than that to our garden, and I never have any trouble with them.  Are there lots of other insects in your garden?

There are plenty of insects, caterpillars, and other food for them. I'll just let them do what they do

No worries Phillip, I appreciate the thought

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2023, 06:38:17 am »
I never worry about them, but you could brush them off and see if they go elsewhere.  But my guess is they now have a free lunch, so they will probably just come back.  They don't eat much.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2023, 09:21:29 am »
Right on, I appreciate it Michael