Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Arrowheads  (Read 2589 times)

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
  • Christian, father, outdoorsman
Arrowheads
« on: January 30, 2023, 02:25:49 pm »
Surely we have some arrowhead hunters in here. One of the things the boys and I love to do during the warm months in between hunting and fishing, is walking the turned up fields looking for arrowheads. When I was young I was enamored by all things Native American. I had leather items my mother helped me to make, made my own bow, fletched my own arrows and loomed a lot of beads. One thing I always wanted to do was find a real arrowhead. My dad didn't have a lot of time to take me during his early career years when I was young, so I never was able to find one. It wasn't until my boys took an interest and we started searching, that I found my first one, and so did they. Since then it has been a real joy and allowed us to build some great memories, and learn about the lifestyle and culture of our Native American brothers.
The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.
Proverbs 20:7

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proberbs 16:24

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Arrowheads
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 02:34:08 pm »
Down here in Florida the best time to find them is after a heavy rainstorm and in the forest after the forestry firefighters have plowed up a fire break around a fire. After a heavy rainfall the rain washes away the sand and leaves the arrowheads Perched above a pile of sand. The guy that did the framing of our house had a large collection of them an walking the fire breaks.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 02:48:17 pm »
Down here in Florida the best time to find them is after a heavy rainstorm and in the forest after the forestry firefighters have plowed up a fire break around a fire. After a heavy rainfall the rain washes away the sand and leaves the arrowheads Perched above a pile of sand. The guy that did the framing of our house had a large collection of them an walking the fire breaks.
Jim Altmiller
Very similar to here after the farmers would run the discs through the fields, it was always best to go after a good mollywopper. Anymore with the no plough seeding done around here there is very little topsoil being turned over, but we still find them. I would love to make a trip to Florida and walk some of those fire breaks, there are some really beautiful artifacts that come from Florida. My best friend lives in Tampa so maybe that will be a good excuse to get me and the boys down there.

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proberbs 16:24

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 02:58:24 pm »
That's really neat!  :happy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 07:12:19 am »
We looked for them all the time when I was a kid.  Often you find a spot where they were knapping flints and you find the rejects laying around along with flakes.  Most of those that are greenish in color literally came from my back yard where the Indians had been quarrying Nehawka flint for millennia.  They asked a Shoshone chief in the late 1800s when the last time he saw someone knap a flint.  He had never seen anyone knap a flnit and said neither his father nor his grandfather had ever seen anyone knap a flint.  From the 1700s all the Indians in North America had steel arrowheads even if they had never seen a white man.  Some were purpose made for trade and many were made from barrel bands.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 08:41:13 am »
We looked for them all the time when I was a kid.  Often you find a spot where they were knapping flints and you find the rejects laying around along with flakes.  Most of those that are greenish in color literally came from my back yard where the Indians had been quarrying Nehawka flint for millennia.  They asked a Shoshone chief in the late 1800s when the last time he saw someone knap a flint.  He had never seen anyone knap a flnit and said neither his father nor his grandfather had ever seen anyone knap a flint.  From the 1700s all the Indians in North America had steel arrowheads even if they had never seen a white man.  Some were purpose made for trade and many were made from barrel bands.
We just found a spot yesterday that was a knapping site with lots of debitage, chert and flint looked like to me. My son found a really beautiful banded flake a little larger than a quarter, really cool stuff.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 08:51:28 am »
My Uncle, on my Mothers side of the family, while chopping cotton as a kid, had found numerous Arrowheads in the Mississippi Delta. He told me he had accumulated almost a cigar box full. Took them to school for show and tell and never seen them again. Bummer... But as y'all have mentioned the plowed fields are good places to find Arrowheads...

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 08:53:03 am »
Stone arrowheads don't rust and they basically last forever.  Several hundred thousand years of accumulated arrow and spear heads are all basically still out there.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2023, 09:06:02 am »
Stone arrowheads don't rust and they basically last forever.  Several hundred thousand years of accumulated arrow and spear heads are all basically still out there.

We, (my family and I), visited a museum in Northwest Tennessee a few years ago. There were numerous displays of arrowheads dating back many years. The museum had them organized in groups per time period. The designs of size and shape were a variety, depending of the basic time period. We found this, among other things interesting.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2023, 04:23:25 pm »
My Uncle, on my Mothers side of the family, while chopping cotton as a kid, had found numerous Arrowheads in the Mississippi Delta. He told me he had accumulated almost a cigar box full. Took them to school for show and tell and never seen them again. Bummer... But as y'all have mentioned the plowed fields are good places to find Arrowheads...

Phillip

A lot of really great pieces come out of Mississippi, that's on our list of places to visit and search.