Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: It's Hard To Do Without a Good Cow Dog For a One Man Operation  (Read 2781 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
It's Hard To Do Without a Good Cow Dog For a One Man Operation
« on: November 30, 2022, 12:21:41 am »
https://youtu.be/ZH45drfY6lo

This particular breed of dog is know as a Hangin' Tree Cowdog. They are a precise breed of a mixture of 4 breeds...
3/8 - Border Collie for herding instinct and intelligence
1/8 - Catahoula for the ability to trail and find cattle, also for the slick hair coat and toughness.
1/4 -  Kelpie for endurance and also herding instinct and short hair.
1/4  - Australian Shepherd, only a dog called Black Bear went into this breed. Black Bear was an extremely tough dog   with   
         enormous ability
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 12:52:11 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: It's Hard To Do Without a Good Cow Dog For a One Man Operation
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 08:55:41 pm »
Bull out on the Highway.. Annie to the rescue!!

https://youtu.be/ETUX0DR0Nbw
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2022, 11:19:28 pm »

A little more training..

https://youtu.be/poCsQn_vHJY

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 09:58:13 am »
That is an amazing dog.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2023, 02:33:48 am »
When I was a kid I heard a fellow from a neighboring ranch say of my grandaddy, "That old man, with his horse and dog can do the work of six men".

The fellow in the video below is the same fellow from previous videos I placed here on this topic. Here he explains how he got into cow dogs while featuring his dog Annie from back in 2018 (it seems that he and dog were 'perhaps' learning together below). I suppose he had just been pleasantly awakened to the value of a 'good' cow dog. He uses a particular breed that has 'similar' lineage to what my grandaddy used back in the mid to late 1900s' the Catahoula and Catahoula crosses.  Tough, loyal, hardy, quick, smart and loving.... always 'eager' to get the job done...

"Bringing Cattle Across a Flooding Creek with Annie"

https://youtu.be/uBkOqhjTb74

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2023, 06:00:37 am »
My buddy Benny Joe has been doing this for 60 years. As a matter of fact last week he brought four of his dogs here so that I could castrate one young bull that refused to go in my Shute area. The dogs job is to keep the cows in a circle and Cheyenne and I moved the cows in the direction we wanted them to go. This was the first time my cows were worked by dogs. My matriarch broke out of the heard and ran into a swamp. It took some doing to get them out. Once out of the swamp, we were able to walk them to the Shute pen and separate out that bull and get the job done.

Many times ranchers have called Benny Joe to come and get their cows out of the forest or other peoples land after trying for an entire year to get them out with 5 cowboys. He goes in with just his horse and dogs and gets everyone of them out in just a few hours. It is fun to watch the them work.
I?ve seen him get all but one yearling in the Shute pen and then spend a couple of hours getting that one young bull in the pen. It was a really hot evening and eventually the dogs got yearling in a pond and they would bite the bulls nose and hold on. That young bull came running back to the pen with a bloody nose and went straight in without any dogs anywhere near it. They were trying to cool off before coming back.
The funny thing was that we didn?t really need that bull in the pen. He told me if he let that one bull go, the next time more cows would run out of the heard.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2024, 03:40:14 pm »
Cows not use to dogs working them will usually react this way the first time or two they are worked by dogs. Cows in a swamp are all but impossible to round up without the help of good cow dogs.. I don't know how I missed your post Jim, but thanks for sharing the experience.

Phillip