Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Varroa detected in Australia  (Read 45686 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Varroa detected in Australia
« Reply #101 on: July 14, 2022, 10:42:52 am »
This is beyond belief. If you have enough money you can do anything you want. The whole country is worried about these mites spreading, burning hives in large numbers and then they allow bees from an infected area mix with 2/3s of the country?s bees. On top of that, we already know from experience here that every disease that goes to our almonds gets spread all across the US.
Insanity.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Skeggley

• House Bee
« Reply #102 on: July 15, 2022, 01:38:26 am »
Yeah watching from the other side of the country it does make me scratch my head, typical short term thinking. Here on the West Coast raw honey and used equipment has been banned for years, 2 roads in has its benefits.
Due to the floods over East veggie prices have shot through the roof with lettuce heads selling for such a high price cabbage is being mixed in, even substituted. No such problem here in the West however our fast foods chains are under instructions from their management to do the same even though lettuce is cheaper than cabbage in the supermarket
 :cheesy: Sigh, it'd be sad if it wasn't so ridiculous.
There's now foot and mouth disease in one of most popular holiday destination, Indonesia's Bali, and the advice is to leave your thongs there. :cheesy: (That's flip flop footwear btw.) Once again, sigh.
Oh my was that a rant? Sorry about that.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #103 on: July 15, 2022, 01:51:09 am »
"Oh my was that a rant? Sorry about that."

We understand Skaggley. No sorry necessary. We all have to let the steam off every now and then, let it blow even as Old Faithful!!!  :cheesy:

Phillip

"Old Faithful"

« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 06:54:04 am by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #104 on: July 15, 2022, 07:38:39 am »
Qld Beekeepers allowed to Almonds

This has just come in: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?hl=en#inbox/FMfcgzGpGwmbclpRwdmRCNhpFMdwxqjz

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #105 on: July 16, 2022, 03:27:16 am »
Some NSW Beekeepersallowed to move hives.

This looks high risk and premature to me

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-16/nsw-beekeepers-be-able-to-move-their-hives-varroa-mite/101244458

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2022, 04:11:42 am »
The number of sites are increasing but they have not spread far past the original site ( with the one, related site)

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?hl=en#inbox/FMfcgzGpGwptvQJQRBSVTJVdkBwFNpMS

What worried me is that soon beekeepers will start to move hives for pollination...

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #107 on: July 18, 2022, 06:44:26 am »
Max,
All I get is a link to gmail advertisement and the only thing that I can do is login or sign up for gmail.
Does anyone else get anything else. If not, we need to remove this and put in a proper link.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #108 on: July 18, 2022, 06:46:29 am »
Max,
All I get is a link to gmail advertisement and the only thing that I can do is login or sign up for gmail.
Does anyone else get anything else. If not, we need to remove this and put in a proper link.
Jim Altmiller

Yes Jim I am getting the same results.

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #109 on: July 18, 2022, 07:21:13 am »
Me too.

Offline Garigal

• House Bee
« Reply #111 on: July 18, 2022, 09:42:46 am »
The NSW DPI site is the best way to keep track of what's happening:

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/emergencies/biosecurity/current-situation/varroa-mite-emergency-response

Last update was Sunday evening 17/7.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #112 on: July 18, 2022, 03:07:04 pm »
Max,
Jim Altmiller

Sorry about this.
I have no idea why the links don't work..

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #113 on: July 18, 2022, 09:11:20 pm »
Max,
Jim Altmiller

Sorry about this.
I have no idea why the links don't work..

I sent a PM to you Max.

Thanks,
Phillip

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #114 on: July 20, 2022, 01:51:16 am »
" No new dedections for a few days" - this is positive.

Also:

- Applications will open tomorrow for registered commercial beekeepers to request to move hives within the low risk general biosecurity zones in NSW.

- You can start alcohol washes now, for more information view the DPI website at www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/varroa.

- 🐝 There have been no new infected premises for a couple of days. Number of infested premises remains at 40.

- 🐝Activity in eradication zones
Our effort and people are currently working on surveillance activities around the edges of red eradication zones, to help us define the outer limits of where Varroa mite is.
This information then feeds in to our response activities, where our aim remains to eradicate Varroa mite.
We'll update beekeepers and the community on our response activities ongoing.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 06:32:57 am by Ben Framed »

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #115 on: July 20, 2022, 05:28:23 am »
"Ag minister is confident Varroa can be eliminated"..

New South Wales Agriculture Minister Dugald Saunders is confident that authorities can eliminate the varroa mite from the state, despite relaxing a lockdown on the movement of beehives in low-risk areas.

Key points:

- Nearly 2,000 beehives have been destroyed by state authorities since the detection of Varroa destructor
New South Wales Agriculture Minister Dugald Saunders says the elimination strategy is ongoing. Currently, hives outside of varroa mite biosecurity zones can be moved with a permit

- Varroa destructor was first detected in surveillance hives in the port of Newcastle late last month and has now been found at  40 properties across New South Wales, including near Narrabri, 400 kilometres from the original site.

- The mite weakens and kills European honey bee colonies, which are vital to the honey and farming industries.

- Speaking to ABC's 7.30, Mr Saunders said the government was embarking on an elimination strategy.
  "We believe we can eradicate the mite and, if we can do that then that's a big tick," he said. "Ongoing, that's going to continue                              to be the plan, but you never say never."

- Varroa destructor has never taken hold in Australia until now, but was intercepted at a Victorian port in 2018.

- A different type of mite, Varroa jacobsoni, was found in Townsville three separate times previously but was eradicated each time.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 06:29:30 am by Ben Framed »

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #116 on: July 20, 2022, 10:08:11 am »
>we already know from experience here that every disease that goes to our almonds gets spread all across the US.

Like in a matter of days as opposed to years.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #117 on: July 20, 2022, 11:12:42 am »

- Nearly 2,000 beehives have been destroyed by state authorities since the detection of Varroa destructor
New South Wales Agriculture Minister Dugald Saunders says the elimination strategy is ongoing. Currently, hives outside of varroa mite biosecurity zones can be moved with a permit

Any news to report concerning the success, or 'percentage' of success, in the efforts of eradicating feral hives in the infected areas? I still believe the pendulum of 'success or failure' may hinge or swing, by the results of 'this' critical 'factor' in this exasperating, yet noble endeavor.

Phillip

« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 11:29:06 am by Ben Framed »

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #118 on: July 20, 2022, 05:14:04 pm »
"If they find mites in the hives at the almond farms"

Good point Jim. Lets hope they don't find any varroa in the Almonds. If they do not, such a report will be a wonderful sign! The well informed officials making these decisions must be loosing a lot of seep, while sweating bullets, trying to weight and juggle the facts of the situation while seeking an outcome that will turn out positive for the good of all. What a stressful time of tribulation for these folks... 

Our friend OldBeaveo and Karen may be in the Almonds. The good news is he is not located in NSW if I remember correctly. I feel for him and the other good pollinators who are probably sitting on pins and needles at this point, not knowing what the fate and future will be concerning Varroa Destructor. That goes for all of Australias" Beekeepers. They need our prayers and moral support..

Phillip

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #119 on: July 20, 2022, 05:23:01 pm »
Thanks Phillip.