Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What does a deep frame of capped honey weigh?  (Read 9866 times)

Offline paus

• Field Bee
What does a deep frame of capped honey weigh?
« on: June 14, 2019, 04:26:06 pm »
Probably an old  topic but new to me.  What does a deep frame with fully capped honey, weigh? I weighed one that weighed 11 pounds + an ounce or two, I have seen frames I think were more uniformly filled out that would weigh more but this is the first one I ever weighed.  Extrapolating this would make a ten frame weigh about 120 pounds.  That is way more than an old codger should lift so that is why I removed the frames one at a time, which is no big deal since I am a hobbyist now.  Is this the norm?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: What does a deep frame of capped honey weigh?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 04:59:43 pm »
Paus,
I normally run mediums but at last months Nassau meeting, we extract 2 deep frames and got 20 pounds. So 10 pounds per frame sounds correct.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 06:13:59 pm »
What kind of honey are you people getting?  A medium averages 3 lb. per frame of honey, or 10 quarts per super. A deep is only 50% more than a medium, or 4 1/2 to 5 lbs. of honey. I have never extracted a deep that wouldn't go in a 5 gallon bucket.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 10:01:33 pm »
Generally speaking .... as we run the frames to 3/4 full - never completely packed and capped.
CPnC = lost production. Approximates:

DEEPS:   75 - 85 lbs a box.  Any box over 85 lbs is overfull and you have missed out on some production.

The box alone weighs: 9.5 lbs
8 frames in a 10 frame box.  9 - 10 lbs per frame
9 frames in a 10 frame box.   7.5 - 8.5 lbs per frame
10 frames in a 10 frame box.  7 - 8 lbs per frame

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 10:52:26 pm by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 11:28:36 pm »
Generally speaking .... as we run the frames to 3/4 full - never completely packed and capped.
CPnC = lost production. Approximates:

DEEPS:   75 - 85 lbs a box.  Any box over 85 lbs is overfull and you have missed out on some production.

The box alone weighs: 9.5 lbs
8 frames in a 10 frame box.  9 - 10 lbs per frame
9 frames in a 10 frame box.   7.5 - 8.5 lbs per frame
10 frames in a 10 frame box.  7 - 8 lbs per frame

Hope that helps!

This is very interesting Mr Claude, especially the 8 frames in a 10 frame box. So as usual, I have a question.
Do you have some sort of frame spacing tool used in order to quickly and efficiently space these frames to the proper width, or simply wing it by eye sight? The reason I ask is I like the idea of producing more honey in a same size box with less equipment. Seems like good common sense to me.
Thanks, Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 01:51:32 am »
Probably an old  topic but new to me.  What does a deep frame with fully capped honey, weigh? I weighed one that weighed 11 pounds + an ounce or two, I have seen frames I think were more uniformly filled out that would weigh more but this is the first one I ever weighed.  Extrapolating this would make a ten frame weigh about 120 pounds.  That is way more than an old codger should lift so that is why I removed the frames one at a time, which is no big deal since I am a hobbyist now.  Is this the norm?

I saw my super had some honey for me 2 weeks ago. I finally got the energy to tackle it 90 degrees today and yes I did them one frame at a time as well. I was soaked but smiling
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 02:07:17 am »

I saw my super had some honey for me 2 weeks ago. I finally got the energy to tackle it 90 degrees today and yes I did them one frame at a time as well. I was soaked but smiling

:grin: pretty awesome isn't it Salty.  :grin:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 07:53:52 am »
Congratulations Salty,
I bet it is the best honey you have ever tasted.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 12:03:32 pm »
When I helped space frames for commercial keepers they gave me a spacer but I soon learned that propolis would not let the frames slide on the rest very easily  so I did like every one else I "eyeballed" them.  They always put 9 frames in a 10 frame deep super.  This is where I saw frames that were bigger than the one I weighed, referred to in my  first post.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 12:30:32 pm »
When I helped space frames for commercial keepers they gave me a spacer but I soon learned that propolis would not let the frames slide on the rest very easily  so I did like every one else I "eyeballed" them.  They always put 9 frames in a 10 frame deep super.  This is where I saw frames that were bigger than the one I weighed, referred to in my  first post.

Thanks Paus I like the idea.
Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 01:09:16 pm »

I was told not to expect honey my first year. I set my expectations accordingly. What?s amazing is this is a cutout and my nucs that were purchased around the same time are no where near this haul.

Thanks Alan and Him
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2019, 01:44:52 pm »

I was told not to expect honey my first year. I set my expectations accordingly. What?s amazing is this is a cutout and my nucs that were purchased around the same time are no where near this haul.

Thanks Alan and Him

Good deal salty! Congratulations! I have yet to extract my first honey! Being it?s the next day, how much honey did you wind up with?  When you did the cutout, was you able to save the brood comb? Was there a lot of caped brood that you were able to save? If so that would be a big advantage. Apparently you did a good job on your cutout!!
Phillip

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2019, 01:19:15 am »
I space eight frames and I have long ago calibrated my fingers to space them out very quickly.  It is only quick if you keep your frame rests scraped after last extraction.  Bees supposedly measure cell size by the length of their legs, So I guess I learned to use my front legs like them.  Weighing frames is a curiosity.  What counts is whats in the bucket and barrel.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2019, 01:22:41 am »
I space eight frames and I have long ago calibrated my fingers to space them out very quickly.  It is only quick if you keep your frame rests scraped after last extraction.  Bees supposedly measure cell size by the length of their legs, So I guess I learned to use my front legs like them.  Weighing frames is a curiosity.  What counts is whats in the bucket and barrel.

Thanks Vance, I appreciate your answer and tips. I will incorporate this knowledge in my program!!
Again thanks, Phillip

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2019, 10:55:14 am »
I am just now getting my very first honey frames, where the bees are capping large areas. And I gotta say... It is very exciting to lift them during inspection and feel the weight of them. Amazing! I am hooked on beekeeping!

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2022, 02:01:57 am »
This was interesting....

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2023, 11:20:23 pm »
Anyone else use 9, or even 8 frames in a 10 frame super box?

Phillip

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2023, 07:01:06 am »
In my experience a ten frame deep totally packed with honey weighs 90 pounds.  Most are a little less.  I haven't seen them above that.  But if you space them eight frames in a ten frame box, one frame may weigh 11 pounds or so.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2023, 12:45:47 am »
We have ran 7 frames in an 8 frame box. The bees blow out the frames to fill the gap. There is more honey because there are only 8 spaces in the 7 frame box compared with 9 spaces in the 8/8 system.
In a commercial situation  with a automatic uncapper you end up with more honey in the cappings in a 7/8 system.
The 7/8 or 9/10 system is economic as you need less frames to run your apiary and when extracting you handle less frames. But you have more cappings honey to deal with.
We have gone back to 8/8 the reduce the pressure on the cappings press.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2023, 04:10:46 pm »
Oldbeaco I have seen a honey/capping separator that looks to simplify the honey in the capping problem.  It works similar to the spin cycle on a washing machine.. When the cycle is done, the capping appear to be dry to the touch, and it doesn't take long for the cycle to process.

Phillip

« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 06:15:46 pm by Ben Framed »