Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hands off our Vegemite  (Read 76587 times)

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
Re: Hands off our Vegemite
« Reply #200 on: April 06, 2016, 09:41:38 am »
No mate, my girls are excellent housekeepers and I only ever find one or two and sometimes none when I opened the hive. I have even seen them pick up SHB and carry them off.

By the way this is 200 th post on this thread. Amazing!! After all this time.

Mick

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #201 on: April 06, 2016, 10:22:49 am »
Just teasing, Mick. Just teasing.. This is the 201st, and I've read every one. Lots of fun along the way.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #202 on: April 06, 2016, 07:59:26 pm »
That's cool Iddee

It has been a ton of fun and we got to know a lot of different people over time

Mick

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #203 on: April 30, 2016, 09:51:52 am »
Righto. Mention vegemite and you have us swarming to it like bees to honey. 
Honeycomb king, it seems like you are wondering what vegemite has to do with beekeeping.  Quite a bit.  I had heard it said many times, "Honey is the only food to never go off, it was found in Tutankhamun's tomb" etc.  So of course I thought about vegemite and realised I have never seen vegemite go stale.  I have seen old jars well past the use by date that contain black gold that is still as scrumptious and delicious as the day its yeast waste product was bottled.  I cleaned a jackaroo's humpy one time and found about 8 half-full catering tubs of vegemite and a dead rat.  So three years ago I decided to test the theory that honey is the only food to last forever, and sent an enquiry to Kraft.  Below is the response I received. 

"Thank you for contacting Kraft Foods with your inquiry.

Vegemite may mould given the right conditions (eg the amount of moisture in the product due to supply chain temperatures).   Interestingly, consumers from QLD and northern NSW sometimes report to us that their Vegemite has started to mould whereas we rarely receive complaints from consumers in other States.

If we can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact our Consumer Advisory Team on freecall 1800 033 275."

So then we need to find out if honey in QLD or Northern NSW ever develops mould on top for a comparison.  If anyone in these areas has had this experience, please reply with full details such as location, time of year, your honey's refractive index, and whether there have been any water pistol fights in the extraction shed.

On another bee-related theme, Honeycomb king, Kinglake was where my father kept his hives when I was young before the neighbours complained.

Hey - I've just thought of vegemite-infused honey - wow, I'll have sweet dreams tonight.  My two favourite things.

Any rain down there this year, Slicko?

Lone
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 10:12:46 am by Lone »

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #204 on: April 30, 2016, 10:18:46 am »
""Righto. Mention vegemite and you have us swarming to it like bees to honey.""

I've never had the opportunity to try vegemite, but it sounds like it may be right up there with buttermilk. Loved by the initiated, despised by the newcomer.   :cool:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #205 on: April 30, 2016, 09:34:17 pm »
Hey lone. When your neighbours complain about your bees you didn't have to move them all the way to Queensland.
It's a great base here for beekeeping, too cold for keeping hives here most of the year, but the low humidity and temperature keeps shb and wax moth under control in stored boxes, honey, stickies etc. And it's central to most victorian bee sites. We got our first crop of messmate honey this year too since the fires (2009)
In my camp box I've got a jar of Vegemite and a reserve back up tube. The tube is that "in case of emergency" spare, you know if I'm stuck out bush or its been a bumpy road and the jar smashed. The used by date on the tube is, no change that the best before date is nov13. It's fine, a bit hard to squeeze out of the tube but taste fine. Yep this bushman will never die outback, living on Vegemite and whichygrubs.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #206 on: May 08, 2016, 03:22:45 am »
G'day Idee, I'm surprised Geoff didn't take orders for vegemite and lemon scented pink flowering gum while he was over there at Bud's.  I guess we all like it because it was cheap and all our parents could afford.

Honeycomb King, there weren't any SHB when my father had bees.  There was a lot of broom on the block, bracken and pine trees. 

Lone

Offline amun-ra

• House Bee
« Reply #207 on: May 08, 2016, 08:36:16 am »
Hey lone where ya been hiding miss you at the meetings we have 212 members in our club now not bad for a little Town sville
Every day the sun shines and gravity sucks= free energy

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #208 on: May 10, 2022, 11:48:20 pm »
Interesting.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Skeggley

• House Bee
« Reply #209 on: May 13, 2022, 09:53:27 pm »
I should have known you?d be responsible for digging out this old thread Phil. :) It?s given me a chuckle to start the day, thanks. :)
Now time for breakfast and for some reason I feel like hot toast on this cold rainy morning but what to put on it?
;)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #210 on: May 14, 2022, 04:11:01 am »
Thanks Skeggley, I enjoyed this Topic too!  :grin: 
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.