Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: #6 Aluminum Wire Mesh  (Read 1493 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
#6 Aluminum Wire Mesh
« on: December 09, 2013, 07:51:17 am »
I'm wanting to build me several SHB oil traps using the design from www.greenbeehive.com. One of the problems I'm having is the cost of the mesh wire. It's almost cheaper to buy it from them. Does anyone have an idea where I can buy some at a decent price?
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Moots

Re: #6 Aluminum Wire Mesh
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 11:38:56 am »
I'm wanting to build me several SHB oil traps using the design from www.greenbeehive.com. One of the problems I'm having is the cost of the mesh wire. It's almost cheaper to buy it from them. Does anyone have an idea where I can buy some at a decent price?

GSF,
First, are you sure your link is correct?  It takes me to a site saying that URL is for sale.

Second, are you sure you want #6 and not #8 mesh...Bees will fit through #6.

Third, Why do you need aluminum as opposed to galvanized?

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 07:43:07 pm »
First, my bad. www.greenbeehives.com I was just going by what they used. It really doesn't matter if it's galvanized or aluminum but I'm sure it's #6. My bees don't go through it. Can the SHB go through #8?
They have a DIY portion on their website that shows you how to build one and gives you all the info you need.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Moots

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 08:43:04 pm »
GSF,
As you can imagine, opinions vary greatly on this, and every other beekeeping issue.  :laugh:

I believe SHB can certainly fit through #8 and have been lead to believe that some bees will make it through #7, therefore...certainly through #6.

Here's an earlier thread focused around #7 mesh, but the conversation touches on both #6 and #8.  Maybe reading through it will be helpful.

LINK to previous thread on #7 Mesh!

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 10:22:29 pm »
When I found some bees in my trap I contacted GBH. They told me there was probably a flaw in the wire and sent me a whole new trap with no static. I took the other one out and sure enough a couple of the wires were bent about half way over and the bees went through that. go figure. Good link by the way. thanks.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 10:38:14 pm »
I'm with Moots, all the SBB's I have built have #8 galvanized hardware cloth.

Joe

Offline Leather Jim

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 11:36:16 pm »
Shb get though #8 galvanized just fine, the bees chase them right down through it into the oil pans. : )

Offline bbbthingmaker

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 09:24:26 am »
I get #8 hardware cloth at a local "mom and pop" hardware store. It's an Ace hardware store.  A lot cheaper than the big box stores. I don't know about #6 , but if it's available they could order it for you. 

Offline JPBEEGETTER

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 03:38:29 pm »
What you want to ask for is #8 hardware cloth, all smaller hardware stores have it. There is no reason to want to use alumn. except it will be about 5 times as expensive.  JPP.

anything