Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fall Flow?  (Read 1905 times)

Offline spafmagic

• House Bee
Fall Flow?
« on: October 03, 2020, 07:19:19 pm »
The Asters and Goldenrod are blooming, so where is the flow? My supers are not filling up!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Fall Flow?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 04:37:01 pm »
My goldenrod and smart weed is blooming and there seems to be a total dearth.  Robbing is rampant.  I'm having to feed because a lot of the hives are light.  I think it rained too little in the summer and the flowers are being stingy with their nectar.  I see pollen coming in... but I'm feeding right now.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 10:52:41 am »
Michael,
Golden rod is blooming here and we had the wettest summer ever, over 4 feet of rain. Bees are barely making it. I?m having to feed my observation hive a pint every other day and they are still light on stores.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Leoj900

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 02:17:09 pm »
I am glad to read this! I am in my first year and was feeling pretty stupid when I started feeding my bees this week when there is goldenrod everywhere. They just looked like they were eating through what they had and not getting any more.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 04:23:37 pm »
I am glad to read this! I am in my first year and was feeling pretty stupid when I started feeding my bees this week when there is goldenrod everywhere. They just looked like they were eating through what they had and not getting any more.

Not stupid at all, you used good common sense.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 04:30:43 pm »
I'm having a mild nectar flow over here, but not significant compared to the number of blooms.  Pollen's coming in like crazy though. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 09:50:00 pm »
 I am 15-20 miles north of brazillion pepper, no flow here. Seldom see them on the Chapmans golden rod. Due to the color the golden rod is covered with love bugs anyway. I am feeding.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 09:55:50 pm »
Same thing here as well. Not as heavy as I would?ve thought.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2020, 11:43:42 pm »
Same thing here as well. Not as heavy as I would?ve thought.

Here as well, lots of pollen, little nectar.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2020, 02:25:38 am »
I haven't had a good fall flow in over 5 years.  This year is the same.  Have had a hive or two lost due to robbing.  Will need to feed soon.  Most of my hives are lighter than I would like.