Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Watching Idalia  (Read 2410 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Watching Idalia
« on: August 30, 2023, 09:35:19 am »
Judy and I are sitting on the porch watching the trees sway and clouds go flying by. We are now out of the direct path of the storm but we will bee seeing the high winds later this morning until about 3:00.
Originally Idalia was going straight over us but it is going to bee to the west of us. It made landfall as a cat 4.
I feel sorry for Cedar Key and all of the towns in the big bend. Most of them are probably under water due to the storm surge.
Jim Altmiller
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 10:05:24 am by BeeMaster2 »
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Watching Idalia
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 11:30:06 am »
What sort of wind speeds are you expecting, Jim?
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023, 11:50:29 am »
Been watching it too.  Wondered how you and others from FL are doing.  Hope everyone will update.  Glad you are only windy!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2023, 11:52:32 am »
Reagan,
You never know until they are here. Hopefully below 60 MPH. We had a hurricane go straight over us with very little damage but 60 miles to the east, Jacksonville was severely hit. My house in Jacksonville was severely damaged, roof damage on house and workshop, and trees down. Most areas looked like they were hit by tornadoes. Took a year for the county to remove all of the tree debris.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2023, 07:59:25 pm »
Well, Idalia came and went. Almost no damage. A couple of tree branches broke off here and there. A roof panel in the carport popped out and we still don?t have primary power, generator is running.
The generator ran wild for a minute and I think it blew out most of my WIFI controlled switches. They are tripping the circuit breakers. This happened right after Judy used the microwave.
When the power comes back on I will try turning the circuit breakers back on and see if they trip. If so I will have to replace the switches.
We only had about an inch and a half of rain.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2023, 08:11:30 pm »
Good news.
Cheers

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2023, 09:51:21 pm »
Yes good news!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2023, 07:25:26 am »
60mph is just a normal summer storm like we get once a week or so... of course it does blow a shingle off now and again.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2023, 08:04:25 am »
How does your tipis hold up in those regular occuring high winds? Those you pictured in your last bee gathering.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2023, 08:29:57 am »
The generator ran wild for a minute and I think it blew out most of my WIFI controlled switches.
What do you have for a generator?
We got about an inch of rain too.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2023, 11:59:39 am »
>How does your tipis hold up in those regular occuring high winds?

60 mph is rough.  100 mph and they fall over along with the trees.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2023, 12:09:48 pm »
>How does your tipis hold up in those regular occuring high winds?

60 mph is rough.  100 mph and they fall over along with the trees.

And at 120 mph? :wink: 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2023, 12:12:51 pm »
That usually takes out a LOT of trees.  But a blown over tipi is no more blown over at 120 mph...
-------------------

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2023, 12:15:34 pm »
I knew they were a great shelter in all types of weather. A brilliant design....

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2023, 12:51:53 pm »
If you have more solid soil than I have at this location, and you keep the stakes and the ropes tight, it would probably stand up to the 100 mph.  Probably not the 120 mph.
-------------------

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2023, 02:19:15 pm »
Mr Bush, you may know this man? As they say, it?s a small world!

Michael Spears telling the story of the tipi.

https://youtu.be/pH2vmzDusgA?si=aOaMU975nPN5LRae

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2023, 06:27:40 pm »
Ace,
The generator is a Briggs and Stratton 8250/5500 Storm Responder.
I strongly suspect that when my wife turned on the microwave there was probably a AC, maybe the well pump and a stove element. It tripped the circuit breaker on the generator.
I spent today fixing as much as I could. 3 Arc Force circuit breakers totally failed. I replaced two of them with standard breakers and my hardware store will have the third one tomorrow morning. I worked on the battery charger for my sons lift. It is blowing fuses. I?m pretty sure I need a 1 amp slow blow to get it working again. I still need to work on the dishwasher. It probably has a blown fuse. I looked at the instruction manual but it does not show a fuse, nor where the main circuit board is located. So far only one WIFI switch isn?t working. They are $45 each. I will replace this one with a plain switch.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin