Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: FLIR pictures of a Trapout and hive in house.  (Read 2652 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
FLIR pictures of a Trapout and hive in house.
« on: May 22, 2019, 09:49:34 pm »
I setup a Trapout for a hive that is inside of a block wall of an ancillary air conditioning building. I just bought a new FLIR and wanted to try it out and see what the hive looks like.
Here are the pictures:

This one is where I have the hive setup with only one way in or out. There was another hole just below where they are coming and going. There were lots of gaps all around the pipes going into the building, both inside and out. I sealed them up real good as well as 2 holes on the inside of the building.
You can see the location of the hive in the wall as well as the clump of confused bees that could not figure out where the entrance is.

This picture is one that I took of a bee hive inside the second floor of a house that I will Bee removing these bees from. At first when I saw the first picture I thought that I had another section of the hive on the other side of a barrier. Then I looked down and realized that the second hot spot is the heat absorbed by the rug that I pulled back to see the hive location.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: FLIR pictures of a Trapout and hive in house.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 09:56:34 pm »
That is nice! Glad to see you took the plunge and went ahead and bought one. Jim did it also show the gaps and such with your set up? I am thinking there may have been a temperature variance at such places?  I really like what I see! Thanks for posting.
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 06:15:18 am »
Ben,
Not sure what gaps you are referring to. If there is a gap in the brood, it does show up. It also sees where something was. I took a picture of our cat sleeping and then he got up and walked away. I took another picture and you could see  exactly where he had been laying on the rug, even where his tail had been, and where he was when I snapped the picture.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 07:50:09 am »
Ben,
Not sure what gaps you are referring to. If there is a gap in the brood, it does show up. It also sees where something was. I took a picture of our cat sleeping and then he got up and walked away. I took another picture and you could see  exactly where he had been laying on the rug, even where his tail had been, and where he was when I snapped the picture.
Jim Altmiller

There were lots of gaps all around the pipes going into the building, both inside and out. I sealed them up real good as well as 2 holes on the inside of the building.

Those gaps, I am wondering if they showed up before you sealed them? I am thinking there is a pretty good chance they did as there might have been a temperature variance in such places?   The pictures are really vivid! Which model did you settle on Jim?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 08:10:24 am by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 08:29:40 am »
Ben,
I would have to go back and look at the original pictures. They are on my iPad mini. The case on my iPhone is too deep to plug it in even though it has an adjustable depth. It does show the slightest temp changes.
I have the FLIR One Pro.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 08:44:53 am »
Ben,
I would have to go back and look at the original pictures. They are on my iPad mini. The case on my iPhone is too deep to plug it in even though it has an adjustable depth. It does show the slightest temp changes.
I have the FLIR One Pro.
Jim Altmiller

I bet it will show the gaps Jim. If so, that makes it even the more, a valuable tool for you, especially in a trap-out situation. I watched a trap out series on YouTube where a fellow worked really hard at it and there was one gap after another. He like to have have never got those bees tied down. That video series is what dissuaded me from wanting to do trap outs. But lately, I am becoming interested!