Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: varroa control choices?  (Read 2537 times)

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
varroa control choices?
« on: August 15, 2014, 08:12:19 am »
I read about api-life, guard, hopguard and a few others and then I see OA fumigation. Why do you think there hasn't been a dominate choice? I would think if they all work about the same, wouldn't the cheaper prevail? Or is there a dominant choice? I guess Im no different than many others, thinking they wouldn't have to worry about mites there first year, but here I am, and I am leaning towards AO, just because it seems cheaper. Any thoughts?

Offline danno

• Super Bee
Re: varroa control choices?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 09:11:08 am »
first off using the same treatment year after year will cause resistance.  Second they all have drawbacks.  OA is not legal in the states.   Formic acid is hard on queens/bee's and is very temp sensitive.   Hopguard  just stinks.  Thymol requires extra trips for second application.   Some are just to expensive

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 10:22:07 am »
i like apiguard (thymol).  it has it's drawbacks.  it's temp dependent and the treatment takes a brood cycle, but i have never noticed any adverse effects in the hive and it does the trick on the mites.

i don't treat every year, so i have not had a resistance issue.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 09:00:57 pm »
Maybe something we may like to from read form Michael Bush
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesvarroatreatments.htm

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 03:48:20 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 09:42:07 am »
Even showing that chart, Michael has not treated his hives since I think it 2008 or before.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 02:43:49 pm »
Last time I treated any of them was 2003.  Last time I treated some of them was 2001.  But if you want to treat, keep in mind the effectiveness with and without brood...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 05:00:49 pm »
It is interesting to hear that some do not treat. I was under the impression that since the mite invasion, everyone had to. The chart is also interesting. I guess I should have done some treatments during the split/rearing. The queens are laying now, learning as I go :-)

Online Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 03:58:05 am »
 Kirk Webster.....
   Is one of the largest treatment-free bee keepers I know in New England you may enjoy some of these articles.

http://www.kirkwebster.com/index.php/collapse-and-recovery-the-gateway-to-treatment-free-beekeeping

Kirk.....
    Does Not Have Email.  If You Want To Communicate With Him, You Will Have To Call Or Send Snail Mail!

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 04:43:45 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/