Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Movement of capped honey?  (Read 1535 times)

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
Movement of capped honey?
« on: October 22, 2018, 06:55:49 pm »
Is it a no no to move capped honey in apiary for winter?  If one hive is strong but late in the yr. But hasn't capped but half a super.?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Movement of capped honey?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 07:01:48 pm »
If it all comes from your hives, or known disease free hives, you can move it any way you want to.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 07:15:38 pm »
Feral hive 2 yrs. old stacked 3 med. supers capped , didn't take any, thought I'd move some over on hives i established  this yr. that are strong but don't have enough.  All hives have miller feeders with 2:1 .Created robbing frenzy.

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 07:24:45 pm »
And the only thing that i can think of , there not my bees. It's a possibility.  Going hunting tomorrow across the woods to find.

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 07:30:07 pm »
We are in dearth , bringing in lots of pollen.  Might have left hives open to long swaping honey supers. Had to cover with bed sheets.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 08:17:19 pm »
+1 to iddee reply above.

IF, and that is a categorically mandatory IF - the condition and health of the source hive(s) is known.  For assurance that transferring frames will not transfer brood disease or pests (mites) into the receiving hive.   IF that condition is satisfied, move frames, boxes, bees, to wherever they are needed, whenever they are needed, as you see fit.  No problem, not a no-no.

When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 11:06:17 pm »
Honeypump,
This hive is 3 ten deeps ,with 3 med. supers fully capped.  Feral bees. 2 yrs. Old not treated with any chemicals.  The Georgia bees i have are this yrs. Started around. May,but they don't have enough flow to fill an cap , even with drawn comb. Hope that helps

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 11:52:53 pm »
OK.  Answer is the same.  It does not matter how old the hive is, feral or own stock, treated or not treated.   
What matters is are they healthy? What does your inspections tell you?
 - What is the mite load?
 - What is the brood pattern?  Is it nice, is it dense, ...
 - Is the brood glistening pearly whites?
 - Are the bees happy fuzzy buzzy busy bees

Go for it IF all above are yes-checks.  True you want to move honey to the other hives.  Some diseases and pathogens are passed in the honey - which is like mouth to mouth for bees.  If a hive is unhealthy or a dead out do not use the honey in other hives until you are sure what the underlying cause is an whether it is a cause that transmits in honey or not.

It is a no-no to move honey around from afflicted hives.

It is not a no-no to move honey around from healthy hives.

..... PS:  as strong productive hives does not necessarily mean it is healthy.  Inspection of combs, bees, and brood tells you that.

Hope that helps.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline blackforest beekeeper

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 02:46:32 am »
And the only thing that i can think of , there not my bees. It's a possibility.  Going hunting tomorrow across the woods to find.
In my as yet limited experience at beekeeping I always found something wrong with the queen if robbing happened. If she keeps the colony "together", they will fight for it.
My entrance holes are wide open all year long (a slit 7-8 mm high), no matter how big the colony. It poses no problem.

Offline blackforest beekeeper

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 02:55:05 am »
In my as yet limited experience at beekeeping I always found something wrong with the queen if robbing happened. If she keeps the colony "together", they will fight for it.
My entrance holes are wide open all year long (a slit 7-8 mm high), no matter how big the colony. It poses no problem.
IF they are healthy bees!
Sick bees get robbed sooner or later.
It is never the robbers. They just do what they have to do. Can`t blame a wolf for eating meat.

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 08:49:04 pm »
Thanks for all replies everyone.
Honeypump i misspoke yesterday,  it was a 3, 10 deep and a 2, 10 deep with 2 supers on these hives. Girls are all happy today .
We here in Harnett County N.C.  2 weeks ago were sprayed with Dibrom(Naled) cor mosquitoes covered hives at night . Asked county co-op agent , how do i know if bees are bringing back.  Oh EPA said it safe. We'll see.

anything