Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: One piece suit or jacket?  (Read 3306 times)

Offline rgennaro

• House Bee
One piece suit or jacket?
« on: July 26, 2020, 07:43:44 am »
The other post on bee stings, comforted me a little, as I read that many  experienced beekeepers still getting stung and running away from the hive. Well that?s exactly what happened to me yesterday, I didn?t even finish the inspection. I blame the heat and humidity.

One recurring problem I have is that bees find a way inside my veil. I am wondering if there is a one piece jacket where the veil is attached to the jacket? Can?t seem to find one online.

Thanks

Offline beesonhay465

• House Bee
Re: One piece suit or jacket?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 08:27:40 am »
first pick your time. then smoke yourself not the bees so much. i dont own a smoker. been stung 4 times in over a year. two times were my fault .  :smile: :smile:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 09:28:27 am »
Mann Lake has really nice vented suits and the shipping is free. I have 2 of them. One is at least 8 years old and I still use it when the bees are aggressive.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 10:00:14 am »
There are many choices and designs.
This is the veil I have and do not recommend. The back neck net protection is to short and leaves the neck exposed with the head tilted down. I have not tried any other. I have posted on this before along with pictures with a side and back view. Since I have it, I use it. When a bee gets in, and they do, I just ignore them. They, at that point just want back out. They will sting when mashed, o well. I prefer a veil over a jacket except coming out of winter before a flow. Then I use a vented jacket if necessary. Really I prefer nothing but protective glasses during a flow. Wouldn't want to take one in the eyeball.

https://www.mannlakeltd.com/Clear-Vue-Hat-&-Veil-wString

There are many choices for jackets. Jim has offered a good one. I like and have the one below. The added chest pockets are handy.  A good place for a queen making paint pen, a queen clip etc.  One chest pocket has a zipper and the other Velcro.

https://www.mannlakeltd.com/vented-jacket-with-veil-large

« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 11:41:22 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 10:01:25 am »
If I were In Arizona where the Killer bees are inevitable, it would be a full vented suit.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
One piece suit or jacket?
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 12:52:58 pm »
Look up -   The Original Bug Shirt
That is what I use for everyday stuff. Lightweight, cool, one piece, pouch pocket.
When getting serious (all day long grinds of heavy honey harvest work) it is white coveralls, alexander veil, and leather gauntlets.

When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2020, 03:27:22 pm »
I use a good quality ventilated jacket with fencing style veil. Worth the money to invest in a good quality one.  They last longer, standup to cleaning and have better hardware (durable zippers, not cheap ones) and strong elastic that last the lifetime of the jacket. Not to mention they do a very good job preventing stings. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2020, 03:44:57 pm »
I use a good quality ventilated jacket with fencing style veil. Worth the money to invest in a good quality one.  They last longer, standup to cleaning and have better hardware (durable zippers, not cheap ones) and strong elastic that last the lifetime of the jacket. Not to mention they do a very good job preventing stings. 

Totally agree. Love mine. (When needed).   lol

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2020, 03:46:50 pm »
I have a betterbee jacket with zip on veil. The only stung I got through it was on the day I was giving packages and a bee was in my elbow crook when I bent my arm and she was squished. It?s a round veil so the men?s is never very close to your face.   With all the heat this summer though I think I?m going to be looking for a ventilated jacket.

Offline BurleyBee

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2020, 10:44:52 pm »
Ben.  Take an old key ring and attach to back of the veil.  Run the string through it and that will cover your neck.
@burleybeeyard

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2020, 11:25:39 pm »
This is a side view of my veil. If you notice the brim is level just as when in use. Notice the front. (Left side) plenty of coverage. Now notice the back (right side) pitiful. Apparently the QC. Folks was on a Pepsi break when this one rolled down the assembly line lol

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2020, 11:30:35 pm »
Quote from an older post

Re: My reaction to bee stings is changing?
? Reply #37 on: June 09, 2020, 12:04:57 pm ?
Here you will see the side view. Again the bill is level just as it is and should be in use.  No wonder the Lower neck is exposed when looking down, even when the string is properly secured as instructed. As I said earlier, had it not been for this flaw, I would have loved it. Bummer lol

Report to moderator   
For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2020, 11:34:02 pm »
Looking closely, it would seem the design is a good one, I think the problem is the lack of quality control there in the factory where assembled. It seems the face screen is sewn in upside down, flip flopped if you will?  If so, no telling how many was improperly constructed, assembled and distributed all over the world. This is just my opinion. I do not have facts to back this up as I have not seen the patent blueprints.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2020, 11:52:59 pm »
https://www.kelleybees.com/bee-natural-canvas-jacket.html
This is what I got. It works well. Probably last a long time. It?s just hot as heck. My next will be something more vented.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2020, 09:13:36 am »
One recurring problem I have is that bees find a way inside my veil. I am wondering if there is a one piece jacket where the veil is attached to the jacket? Can?t seem to find one online.
Most veils are sipped onto the jacket so you can wash the jacket without the veil.
I bought a new ventilated jacket for down here from Pierco.  I like the jacket and veil but hate the way it sips on.  Sippers get stuck in the fabric and criss cross at the throat.  My old jacket just butted together and like this new one had a velcro flap that covered the sippers.  Never got a bee in the veil even at times when I forgot to sip it closed.
I think if bees are dead set on finding a way into your veil it is time to close her up.  Bees should be calm.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2020, 10:12:09 am »
The vented jacket that I have and posted the link to in my reply number 4 is equipped with a removable veil by a zipper system. It also has Velcro flaps at the zipper intersections.  No need to remove except when washing.

Offline crmauch

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2020, 10:59:32 pm »
This is my veil.  Don't love it, but it works and the price was right: https://www.ebay.com/itm/292071993518
Chris

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2020, 12:58:05 am »
Ben.  Take an old key ring and attach to back of the veil.  Run the string through it and that will cover your neck.

Burley, this veil is so aggravating that it has come to a head, a showdown!!  LOL.  I am going to give your suggestion a try! It might tilt the brim (front) up each time that I look down but at least what you suggested will force it to keep my neck covered!
Thanks

anything