Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First time pulling honey!  (Read 8021 times)

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Re: First time pulling honey!
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 12:01:45 am »
My younger brother and I went together this year and bought a new 18-9 radial extractor from Mann Lake.  

You can drool now.

uuuughhhhh yes I can. If motorized it deserves a double drool :-D
John 3:16

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
  • When all else fails go to PLAN-BEE
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2013, 01:09:21 am »
Congrats moots... Didn't think you would wait to long to try out that new extractor...  :)
Marshall

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2013, 01:12:12 am »
bud three weeks in a hospital,you know I want to get with them bees.talking to moots was good for me.it was like being in the yard with him.i know you will slow me down and make sure I don't do anything that will hurt my knee. thanks buddy   by the way ,I tried to get jp to bring a nuc to the hospital nd keep it in my room.that didn't fly with the hospital.lol             schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Moots

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2013, 11:50:52 am »
Update....

Got my bottles in and my labels done...Bottled up the first batch yesterday.   :)

Offline bhaktibees

• New Bee
Re: Re: First time pulling honey!
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2013, 12:11:52 pm »
awesome idea! I'm all about DIY :-)  "If you can't open it you don't own it" ~ Makers Credo.
"If you didn't learn anything today, you just weren't paying attention" ~ My Dad. :-)

Offline bhaktibees

• New Bee
Re: Re: First time pulling honey!
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2013, 12:11:53 pm »
awesome idea! I'm all about DIY :-)  "If you can't open it you don't own it" ~ Makers Credo.
"If you didn't learn anything today, you just weren't paying attention" ~ My Dad. :-)

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2013, 06:08:02 pm »
Strange color Moots.   Its almost got a red tint. 

Moots

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2013, 07:19:56 pm »
Strange color Moots.   Its almost got a red tint. 

Danno,
Interesting....Pretty much just looked like honey to me.   :-D

But now that you say it, I can kind of see a slight reddish tint.  :?

Being a newbie, I'm not sure exactly what the girls foraged on predominantly.  But supposedly, Chinese Tallow is the big flow around here....maybe that's it.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2013, 07:28:40 pm »
you will find it changes from year to year.   We normally get very light honey.  Some years its more on the amber side.  This it more on the water white side

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2013, 08:04:02 pm »
It could be picking up the color of the tile behind it . That looks sort of pinkish

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2013, 10:19:48 pm »
My very first batch of honey from my farm, 4 years ago, was real dark. My mentor said that it was probably Chinese tallow because it was so dark. It tasted very floral. I found 2 pint jars, in the back of the pantry, of this honey. It now tastes like licorice. I like it but it totally different tasting than when we bottled it and the last time we used it 2 years ago and darker.
If you can try saving a pint or to for about 4 years and see what happens.
Has anyone else had this happen. Is it normal for that much of a change?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Nico

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2013, 10:26:00 pm »
Love the labels, real eye catchers.
Nico

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2013, 10:56:15 pm »
Ok I'm gonna ask EFF & E's. I presume eff a part of j-eff. and E?

Moots

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2013, 11:09:58 pm »
Nico,
Thanks for the complement on the labels, I was quite pleased with how they turned out.  :)

sc-bee,
My nephew Easton, who's my right hand man on this whole bee adventure, has always been known to the family simply as "E" for short.  He's now 14, but when he was little, he couldn't pronounce the "J" in Jeff for the longest...so for many years, I was simple known as "Eff" to him. 

Hence "Eff & E's Bees"!  :)

Offline gov1623

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2013, 12:17:11 pm »
Moots,
congratulations on the honey. Looks like Chinese Tallow to me. Its usually an amber color. Very good honey.
When I started extracting my honey this year I noticed it was on the thin side. 100% capped frames tested 21% moisture. I had to dry out the suppers before extracting. Just wondering if you noticed the same.
Who Dat!!!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2013, 12:30:37 pm »
Gov,
Saw the same thing when I helped a New bee, that I am mentoring, extract his first honey. 10-100% capped frames.  I tested it, it was 20.5% and then figured that I needed to re calibrate the instrument. It turned out the oil had gone bad. When I put the oil on it everything was Blurry. I then extracted my honey and it tested at 18.5%. I loaned him my bucket heater to dry it out.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Moots

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2013, 12:48:31 pm »
Gov & Jim,
I tested it with my newly acquired refractormeter and it tested right over 20%, which I thought was a little high. 

However, I then tested some store bought honey which tested out at the same level....Based on that and the fact that I had pulled NOTHING that wasn't 100% capped, I "assumed" I was in a acceptable range.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2013, 03:11:36 pm »
My nephew Easton, who's my right hand man on this whole bee adventure, has always been known to the family simply as "E" for short.  He's now 14, but when he was little, he couldn't pronounce the "J" in Jeff for the longest...so for many years, I was simple known as "Eff" to him.  
Hence "Eff & E's Bees"!  :)

Great deal with E. My son started with me, actually he was one of the driving factors of why I started. It was a short stint since I made some real rookie mistakes that cost us in the pain dept  :( And he found girls that didn't help any. Actually he got heavily involved in NJROTC drill team and lost interest.

We had come up with the name "Bee Beaus"

Oh yea on the honey moisture content, I think the bees checked it and capped it for you when it was ready  :-D

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2013, 03:13:03 pm »
As a new Beek, I took another step on the long Journey of new experiences this weekend when I pulled and extracted my first honey.  :)
Most importantly, I wanted to make sure I wasn't too aggressive in how much Honey I decided to take.  I had ten hives...The only downer of the day was I discovered that wax moths had overrun one of my hives and it was a total loss.   Of the remaining six, I ended up with 264.2 pounds of honey. 

Great first year crop. That's about what I'm getting in my second year. Sorry to hear about the wax moths, I feel your pain. 
Later,
Ray

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2013, 02:54:07 am »
There are several sources of red honey one of which, for the PNW is red potatoes, that honey has a musty earthy taste that is distinctive.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything