Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Issues raising bees near fields???  (Read 17886 times)

Offline dunedain05

• Brood
Issues raising bees near fields???
« on: December 24, 2013, 02:07:15 pm »
I live in a rural part of Indiana.  My house has a decent sized yard, though we are surrounded by fields.  Every year the farmer switches back and fourth from bean to corn.  Recently there was an article posted locally about a local bee keeper having many bees killed and was said to be from the pesticide on the corn fields.  Im looking to dive into my first bee hive hopefully this spring but now am thinking I shouldn't, given my close proximity to the corn/bean fields.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

Offline acbs

• House Bee
Re: Issues raising bees near fields???
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 04:39:55 pm »
Dunedain05,
I've kept treatment free bees here in central Illinois for 11 years. We have big farmers that plant the same crops. The nearby farmers cooperate and apply their pestcides early morning or late evening on their soybeans. All of my hives are within foraging range of all the chemicals used. For a couple of years I had 9 hives within 6 feet of a field planted one year with beans the next year corn. The pesticides caused the bees to quit foraging on the beans, but that was the only noticeable negative effect. An air planter was used on the corn. Never lost any of those 9 hives. Have always had acceptable losses. Lost only 2 of 58 of my production hives last year. I can only say from my experience, if used properly the chemicals won't kill you're hives. I'm not saying they won't affect them. I hate chemical use as much as anyone, but don't let that stop you from keeping bees!
Arvin
www.acbees.org
If I know how many hives I've got, I haven't got enough.
Unknown

Offline acbs

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 10:37:14 pm »
Darned auto correct!  You're=your
If I know how many hives I've got, I haven't got enough.
Unknown

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 12:28:07 pm »
None what so ever, I've been doing it for years.  It's easier for some folks to blame others for their hive failures than themselves and that makes for better "news" articles.  Take those with a grain of salt.

Welcome to Beemaster and enjoy your new hobby (addiction ;))!
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline LizardKing

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 07:55:51 pm »
None what so ever, I've been doing it for years.  It's easier for some folks to blame others for their hive failures than themselves and that makes for better "news" articles.  Take those with a grain of salt.

I find this very surprising yet good news for me.
I live within one mile of a large plant nursery that I am sure uses chemical, they have
hundreds of acres of plants.
The rest of my surrounding area is rural houses and woods but the nursery had me worried about
setting up a couple of hives.
Across the street from me is a series of ponds but I am at the top of the hill from the ponds but
most of my land is a large grassy (sort of grass/dandelion/weed) field with a few nice places for hives.

How do bees do in Southern pine forests?
My local bee club is not all that friendly or I'd have more answers.....

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 11:12:11 am »
I'm sorry, I've got no knowledge of how they do near pine forests.  No pine forests where I live.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 10:03:28 pm »
I'm glad to hear that as well. My uncle's fields weren't planted last year because he was dying of bone cancer. Now they are being planted in soybeans, cotton, and corn. That had me concerned because I heard different things.

I can't say much about the pine trees either. They are around mine but I have much more hardwood than pine.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 10:47:48 pm »
your best bet is to talk to the nursery, or farmers.  find out what they use and when.  let them know that you are keeping bees and you want to work with them.  most folks are happy to have bees around even if the benefit is to the family veggie patch and not the large field. 

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.