Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Vacaville California!  (Read 2515 times)

Offline Konaexpress

• New Bee
Hello from Vacaville California!
« on: April 09, 2017, 07:48:56 pm »
Hello,

I am new to the idea of bee keeping though I have thought about it more and more over last few years. I have noticed a rapid decline in honey bees in my garden and that many of my plants are no longer getting pollinated and this year I will have to hand pollinate some plants. Not sure what to do but put on my big boy pants and try and become part of the solution.

Thanks for any kind of support and ideas along the way.

John "Konaexpress" Michalek
There is no such thing as a stupid question and I'm full of them!

Online cao

• Super Bee
Re: Hello from Vacaville California!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 10:15:37 pm »
Welcome.  :happy:

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 10:36:14 am »
Welcome
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 10:59:38 am »
Welcome.

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 02:20:05 pm »
Welcome to the forum! 
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline Konaexpress

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 09:24:43 pm »
A big thank you to all of you!

John

Offline erbs honey

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 11:02:12 pm »
Welcome!
"My name is Cheryl and I'm a beekeeper."  I haven't seen any interventions here, just lots of enabling!  :)
So, tell us your plans!  Will you start with two or more hives? 
Read everything you can get your hands on, watch lots of Youtube videos (Michael Bush, Michael Palmer, and the FatBeeMan come to mind), beekeeping classes, and a good mentor are super important!  Join your local beekeeping club.  Ohhh, I could go on.....
When you come to a fork in the road.....take it.

Offline Konaexpress

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 12:57:19 am »
Welcome!
"My name is Cheryl and I'm a beekeeper."  I haven't seen any interventions here, just lots of enabling!  :)
Read everything you can get your hands on, watch lots of Youtube videos (Michael Bush, Michael Palmer, and the FatBeeMan come to mind), beekeeping classes, and a good mentor are super important!  Join your local beekeeping club.  Ohhh, I could go on.....

Thanks for the information!

Not sure what my plans for bees are as I live in the city. Plan on moving to Oregon in a few years so will hopefully have a lot more room to build and learn about bees. If I was going to do it here, I would have to build a mini Warre or a micro TBH that could be bolted to a fence or the side of the house about the size of a long planter box. I found someone doing the micro thing on YouTube so I know it can be done. Not looking to harvest honey for now but want bees for my garden.

I found M. Bush videos on YouTube and loved them! That's one cool cat that has probably forgotten more about bees then I will ever be able to learn. Wish he was my neighbor.

Thanks again,
John

Offline erbs honey

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 11:43:15 pm »
Welcome!

Thanks for the information!

Not sure what my plans for bees are as I live in the city. Plan on moving to Oregon in a few years so will hopefully have a lot more room to build and learn about bees. If I was going to do it here, I would have to build a mini Warre or a micro TBH that could be bolted to a fence or the side of the house about the size of a long planter box. I found someone doing the micro thing on YouTube so I know it can be done. Not looking to harvest honey for now but want bees for my garden.

I found M. Bush videos on YouTube and loved them! That's one cool cat that has probably forgotten more about bees then I will ever be able to learn. Wish he was my neighbor.

Thanks again,
John

Good!  You don't need to harvest honey!  We only harvest about once every third year or so and not a lot from each hive.  We have them mostly to pollinate our garden and orchard.  Of course, I do love honey in my tea!!!  I've read where people keep their bees on their roof or microhives like you were talking about.  Or a balcony, or someone else's property (with their permission, of course)!  Did you find a local bee club?  Look on Facebook.  Ours is the Humboldt County Beekeepers Assn.  We meet once a month.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 09:41:58 am »
Welcome to Beemaster.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline erbs honey

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 11:47:28 pm »
Hello,

I am new to the idea of bee keeping though I have thought about it more and more over last few years. I have noticed a rapid decline in honey bees in my garden and that many of my plants are no longer getting pollinated and this year I will have to hand pollinate some plants. Not sure what to do but put on my big boy pants and try and become part of the solution.

Thanks for any kind of support and ideas along the way.

John "Konaexpress" Michalek
https://www.facebook.com/ocbees/
http://www.ocbeekeepers.org/

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 12:58:32 am »
Welcome!  I too am relatively new to beekeeping. I hope you will find joining this forum to be as rewarding as I have found it to be.

anything