Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Converting slides to TV-DVD's  (Read 2577 times)

Offline ooptec

• House Bee
    • Beginners foray into TBH's in Canada
Converting slides to TV-DVD's
« on: November 30, 2007, 01:23:56 pm »
Hey,

Well the boredom of winter, -20°C and colder last week or so, combined w/the upcoming c'mas present season on a limited budget has gotten me to grab the old slides from the parental house and transferring them to a TV-DVD w/soundtrack. I figure will give for pressies as no-one has ever looked at them and so far is mostly baby/early years of my oldest sister when she enjoyed only child status. As well were the only early images of her which no-one in the last 45 yrs. has viewed.

Wonder if so many people have slides from the late 40's-50's because they were the first color format?? Was surprised at the quality and how well they aged altho the light sensitivity would have been hard to work w/as a photographer as seems white and sun on skin is bleached and best are ones taken in shade.

After fooling around on pc for awhile (not my machine of choice) but to cater to the 97% who would poss. view as well as the slide scanner is XP specific. (my bro. and I are long term mac-addicts) I gave up on trying to do a powerpoint slideshow as couldn't get music to play thru whole show, either it would play entirely for each slide, or start over each slide. Tho 'help' sounded like it was easy, but after many tries gave up on it.

So transferred files (networked) to the good 'ol girl, my G5 iMac, and was looking around as mac OSX comes w/gobs of software incl. and noticed one called iDVD. What a blast, and an easy prg. to learn, drag and drop, select and load, add audio tracks, any way you can think of to add stuff, it will do it. Nice titles w/many choices of effects and also effects for the slides themselves, tho I pretty  much stuck to the 'Ken Burns' effect and fade out to next slide as too much is kinda overload IMHO.

Then burnt to DVD that plays on any TV-DVD player as is still portions of family luddite like, as well as usually the TV has the biggest screen.

What a fun project, no wonder macs are the choice of pro's who do any kind of visual work.

cheers

peter

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Converting slides to TV-DVD's
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 04:51:58 pm »
I love MACs. We just need to get the rest of the people off windoze.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline ooptec

• House Bee
    • Beginners foray into TBH's in Canada
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 05:08:31 pm »
I think  VISTA  is doing it for us

ha ha ha ha

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 09:32:13 pm »
Peter, I get an impression from your post that you had a family tragedy many years ago, that is a sad thing.  You are doing a wonderful thing to take these old slides, ones that have been so long left behind and give them as presents -- and I admire this.  They will be welcomed and I take my hat off to you. Have a wonderful and beautiful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything