Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lotion Making Day  (Read 2286 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Lotion Making Day
« on: January 11, 2023, 10:06:03 pm »
My artist sister and I got a bunch of new lotion making supplies for Christmas, and on Saturday we spent the whole day making different lotions.  It was a blast!  We made 3 batches of lotion bars, all the same basic recipe, just different molds, colors, and fragrances.

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
Re: Lotion Making Day
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 10:13:02 pm »
My sister made a new lotion with jojoba oil and her goat tallow from our last butchering day.  It's also the first time we've made a lotion with preservatives so it's shelf stable.  It's wonderful!  I'm planning on using it as a face lotion because it's very light.  She also couldn't resist making pretty labels for the jars even though we aren't selling it or anything.  :happy:

I made a batch of my go-to body lotion that I always have on hand.  It doesn't have any preservatives, so it needs to be refrigerated.  Not being an artist, I went for some masking tape and colored markers for my label.   :cheesy:

This isn't lotion, but I also made some propolis toothpaste.  I've had the ingredients for this recipe on hand, and I've been wanting to try it.  It's not a total success.  I used peppermint essential oil, so it smells minty, but it doesn't really taste minty, and since there isn't any other strong tasting ingredient in it, it just kind of tastes like salt since the main ingredient is baking soda.  I'm going to try adding something like cinnamon and/or cloves next time to help overpower the salt.  It's not gross, but as my sister said, it's kind of mildly unpleasant the way it is. 

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 06:51:05 pm »
Had a play last night myself. Made up a small batch of lip balm for the markets this weekend to see how it goes.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 12:08:36 am »
Had a play last night myself. Made up a small batch of lip balm for the markets this weekend to see how it goes.

Nice!  I've been thinking of making a batch of those soon myself.  I'm getting a little bit low on them. 

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 02:26:25 am »
You may not need many in your warm climate.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 11:53:13 am »
You may not need many in your warm climate.
Funny, I might have said something similar about where you live.  I guess we're not too familiar with each other's regions.  :cheesy:

Although some of my more northern colleagues might not agree :wink: we definitely experience winter here.  As I'm typing this, it's 10:45 AM and it's barely grazing freezing.  Our highs in the winter are usually in the 30-50F/single digits C range, with lows regularly below freezing.  On top of that, we heat our house with wood, which makes it very dry inside.  Hence the need for 1 dozen lotion bars.  :grin:     

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023, 03:53:58 pm »
My subtle Aussie sense of humour generated a reaction. Good to see. Your temps aren?t too bad Reagan. Better than a lot of members on here. Our overnight temps in the cold part of winter normally hover around 40 F and day time temps average about 63 F in our coldest month. We normally get a few frosts which means that we can get down to about 32 but not much lower than that.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 04:50:19 pm »
My subtle Aussie sense of humour generated a reaction. Good to see. Your temps aren?t too bad Reagan. Better than a lot of members on here. Our overnight temps in the cold part of winter normally hover around 40 F and day time temps average about 63 F in our coldest month. We normally get a few frosts which means that we can get down to about 32 but not much lower than that.
:cheesy:  It's true, it's nothing compared to the folks in Canada, New England, or even the northern prairie states.  Just cold enough to legitimately complain about.  :grin:     

anything