Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mason Bees During Cold Snap  (Read 1395 times)

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Mason Bees During Cold Snap
« on: March 12, 2022, 12:00:36 pm »
We are having extremely cold temperatures today, and I prepared my honey bees for the cold snap, but I forgot to think about my mason bees, who are starting to hatch.  I know over the winter the hibernating masons don't have any trouble with below freezing temperatures, but now that they are waking up, should I bring them in the house to continue hatching and then release them when it's warm again in a day or two?  It's going to be in the 20's F most of today and the low teens tonight. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
Re: Mason Bees During Cold Snap
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2022, 07:40:06 pm »
In the absence of any opinions, I decided to hedge my bets, and I brought half of them in the house and put half of them in the garage.  So I guess we'll find out which was the right decision or if it makes any difference at all.  :happy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2022, 08:05:14 pm »
Member I know absolutely nothing about mason bees. Your choice seems like a good reasonable decision to me. I am rooting for you. I hope they all make it.. How or where do they live in the wild of nature? Are those choices more in an insulated type circumstance than that of prepared, provided, mason bee homes?

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2022, 08:15:54 pm »
We have had that happen and I'm sure we lost some, but they seem to adjust OK in the long run.  Ours don't tend to start hatching until we have a number of 60ish degree days and nights that are at least in the 40s.  When they have started early in a false spring, they seem to stop when they realize the temps are dropping again.

You'll probably lose a few with the weather change, but you can refrigerate the cocoons until it warms up as long as you remove them from the tubes so that they don't end up stuck behind dead ones.  YouTube it. 

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2022, 08:29:17 pm »
We have had that happen and I'm sure we lost some, but they seem to adjust OK in the long run.  Ours don't tend to start hatching until we have a number of 60ish degree days and nights that are at least in the 40s. When they have started early in a false spring, they seem to stop when they realize the temps are dropping again.

You'll probably lose a few with the weather change, but you can refrigerate the cocoons until it warms up as long as you remove them from the tubes so that they don't end up stuck behind dead ones.  YouTube it. 

This is particularly what I wanted know, thanks so much Kathy. 

Member I know absolutely nothing about mason bees. Your choice seems like a good reasonable decision to me. I am rooting for you. I hope they all make it.. How or where do they live in the wild of nature? Are those choices more in an insulated type circumstance than that of prepared, provided, mason bee homes?

Phillip
They normally nest in standing stalks of dead plants or holes drilled by other insects in trees.  I see them in beetle snags in the woods pretty frequently.  I just have a can full of paper straws out for them to provide additional habitat and because I like to see them in the garden.  I normally leave them in the can over the winter without any issues.  Like I said, it was the sudden reversion to the cold that had me worried, as the males have already started hatching.       

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2022, 08:36:06 pm »
Thanks Member. I like the idea. This may be something that I should take a second look into as well.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything