Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What is everyone doing outside today Spinoff from same title in GB. about bees  (Read 5612 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
BeeMaster2 
Reply #49 on: December 07, 2021, 04:12:57 pm

I have been planting/over seeding rye grass in a lot of my fields. I have also been plowing the field behind my house and today I harrowed it to start smoothing it out. The first picture is after it was plowed, the second picture is after the first run with the harrow and the third is after the second harrow run. I am going to get more fuel so that I can run the harrow one more time and then I will run my brillian  grass seeder with no seed in it first to really smooth it out and then do it again with rye seeds.

Jim Altmiller
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 04:25:16 pm by BeeMaster2 »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
30WFC
Reply #50 on: December 07, 2021, 05:35:41 pm

I like my coffee black with two sugars. It goes real nice with a piece of pie for breakfast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Acebird
Reply #51 on: December 08, 2021, 08:49:04 am

Jim, how was the field plowed?  I don't see defined rows and I do see tuffs of grass which should be buried when the plow turns over the soil.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Beemaster2
Reply #52 on: December 08, 2021, 03:10:14 pm

Acebird link=topic=54997.msg500579#msg500579 date=1638967744]
Jim, how was the field plowed?  I don't see defined rows and I do see tuffs of grass which should be buried when the plow turns over the soil.

This field, as are most of my fields, is filled with old stumps. I had to use my new ground plow/disc plow. On the first row I hit a sunken log and the castle nut that holds the first disk in place stripped out. I cleaned it all up and put it back together with 5/16?bolts replacing the cotter pin. I thought for sure that would hold but it didn?t. I took the disc to a machinist and he made a smaller castle nut and cut new threads.
That did the job.
It seemed like every ten feet I was cutting a stump. All of the stumps are now at least 10? below the surface which enabled me to harrow it properly.
Jim Altmiller

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Ben Framed
Reply #54 on: December 08, 2021, 03:49:55 pm

Beautiful place Jim..

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
BeeMaster2
Reply #55 on: December 08, 2021, 04:56:31 pm

I was just joking about the randomness. Hope you didn?t take offense. It looks like a good food plot for the deer too.
I had no idea of where you were coming from.
Still don?t. 😊
Jim Altmiller

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Ben Framed
Reply #57 on: December 08, 2021, 05:03:28

I think was 30 kidding Jim about his till work? I suppose Ace was too?

randomness |ˈrandəmnəs|
noun
1 the quality or state of lacking a pattern or principle of organization; unpredictability: we accept randomness in our own lives but we crave logic in art.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Beemaster2
Reply #58 on: December 08, 2021, 05:11:07 pm

Here is a final picture with the field fully planted.

https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=54997.0;attach=7875;image

I was supposed to rain today so I was rushing to get the seed in the ground. It is now raining pretty hard. I?m hoping it doesn?t rain so hard that it washes the seed away. I?m glad that I didn?t use my broadcast spreader. It would all wash away.
With a brilliant seeder, most of the seed is covered with a little dirt.
Jim Altmiller

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
30 WCF
Reply #59 on: December 08, 2021, 05:12:25 pm

Not so much the till work, it looks nice. I think Ace made a solid compliment. I was just amused.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Ben Framed
Reply #60 on: December 08, 2021, 05:14:21 pm

Beemaster2
I was supposed to rain today so I was rushing to get the seed in the ground. It is now raining pretty hard. I?m hoping it doesn?t rain so hard that it washes the seed away. I?m glad that I didn?t use my broadcast spreader. It would all wash away.

It should be fine Jim.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Nice job, Phillip.  :smile: 

Yesterday, my family and I went to get a Christmas tree.  It was a really nice day, and we sat and talked with the grower for a while.  He asked me about my bees, since he knows someone else with bees, and he wanted to know how my sourwood flow was this year.  His trees were really nice; we're planning on going back there for a tree again next year.     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Thank you Reagan, The Christmas tree trip sounds like fun. Did the tree grower say if the other beekeeper had a good harvest? You know, the tree farm might be a good place to display some if your excess honey if office space allows and he is willing?

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Thank you Reagan, The Christmas tree trip sounds like fun. Did the tree grower say if the other beekeeper had a good harvest? You know, the tree farm might be a good place to display some if your excess honey if office space allows and he is willing?
He didn't say about the other beekeeper.  He didn't really have an office actually, just a barn.  It was a pretty low tech operation, but his prices were good as a result and like I said, his trees were really nice.  He claimed to have the prettiest trees in the whole county, and that's saying something around here, as North Carolina is the 2nd largest Christmas tree growing state in the nation. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
Split a pile of wood today. Gonna split another pile tomorrow.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Don't split so much wood that the boat is out in the elements.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
That boats probably going up for sale in the spring.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Here is a final picture with the field fully planted.

Jim Altmiller

Jim has the seeds had time to start sprouting?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 11:36:49 am by Ben Framed »

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
I checked it this morning and the seeds are just starting to grow. They are about two inches tall but it is brown. The over seed rye grass starts out green. This rye seed needs to bee planted in a tilled field. It?s funny, the over seed, thrown out over an existing grass field, is about the same size as the planted seed but it is very light as compared to the planted. You would think a heavier seed would find its way to the dirt than lighter one.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
That boats probably going up for sale in the spring.
Getting a bigger and better one?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
No. Just don?t use it much anymore. About once a year for the last 3-4 years. That usually has me going through the fuel system even with non ethanol and stabilizer.

anything