Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Careful Hunters and Beekeepers in Bear Country!  (Read 6455 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Careful Hunters and Beekeepers in Bear Country!
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2021, 10:16:52 pm »
I think you are right Jim 134. For many years there were no longer bear in my Home State of Mississippi, but I understand that has changed in recent years and they are slowly making a comeback.. They are not alone. There has been reports of Cougar also; Well; 'PUMA' lol.....
:wink:

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2021, 10:27:53 pm »
... Why do you say grizzlies are moving back to California soon?

To make a very long winded conversation short(er) 15th ... they've been breeding/spreading from Montana since the 70's. Down into idaho, over into eastern oregon, etc. They should be in (north-eastern) california within 10 yrs, if not already there ...
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2021, 10:30:20 pm »
Alan is this in part of your hunting area?
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2021, 10:31:49 pm »
Allen,
The forest ranger called it a brown bear, saying it was not a grisly. Hence I called it a brown bear. 😊
Jim Altmiller

No worries Jim. I never met a Forest Ranger (or any other gov wildlife "type") in california that knew what they were talking about. Your totally off the hook - in my book. ... I just felt the need to clarify for the-world-at-large. I hope you don't mind Sir.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2021, 10:33:55 pm »
Alan is this in part of your hunting area?

Montana? Idaho? Wyoming? Nevada? Oregon? California? ... yup.

I've hunted in Grizzly country for ... a lot of years ... (hate to date myself here) [grin!]. I make it a point, having successfully survived 5 charging bears, to know what I'm up against. In 2020 elk hunting camp, we had 6 different Griz going thru our camp [griz every day - different Griz some days] every night. ... I moved to a new location (150 miles away) to hunt in 2021. [Cheesy]

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2021, 10:35:24 pm »
Beautiful country!!

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2021, 10:44:15 pm »
In 2020 elk hunting camp, we had 6 different Griz going thru our camp every night. ... I moved to a new location (150 miles away) to hunt in 2021. [Cheesy]

I don't blame you!! It was time to go!  :cheesy:

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2021, 11:12:45 pm »
In 2020 elk hunting camp, we had 6 different Griz going thru our camp every night. ... I moved to a new location (150 miles away) to hunt in 2021. [Cheesy]

I don't blame you!! It was time to go!  :cheesy:

A friend of mine was hunting elk in the #1 Grizzly attack area in the world (Beattie gulch, mt) a few years ago. He was charged by a blond bear. He drew his revolver and shot the bear thru the top of the head at a final distance of 3 feet. The bear drooped dead and slid into him, as a result of its momentum. My friend called in a Grizzly killing - as required. When FWP and Law Enforcement showed up, he was still quite shaken. They asked "do you have a black bear tag?". "Yes" he answered. "Then you can keep the bear". ... he has that bear on his front entrance today. It's the spitting image of a Grizzly in color. I can't imagine how scared he was that day. If you go into Beattie Gulch without knowing the risk, the joke is on you. I quit hunting there in 2014 - and I go in "prepared" (as best you can prepare). Beattie Gulch is the place where Grizzlies were first "documented" to be 'pack hunting' in 2013 ... and I was there that day (but not the victim) ... yeehaw!!

... yes, I've got more than a few bear stories. ...

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2021, 11:35:36 pm »
Alan I am learning more from you on this thread than I have learned by watching some videos. One take I am getting loud and clear is the black bear, no matter the color he comes in, can be VERY DANGEROUS! Thank you for sharing you experiences. I am enjoying your post here immensely. I feel it is safe to say others are as well. Thanks for posting. You have my full attention...

Phillip

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2021, 11:50:21 pm »
A friend of mine was hunting elk in the #1 Grizzly attack area in the world (Beattie gulch, mt) a few years ago. He was charged by a blond bear. He drew his revolver and shot the bear thru the top of the head at a final distance of 3 feet. The bear drooped dead and slid into him, as a result of its momentum. My friend called in a Grizzly killing - as required. When FWP and Law Enforcement showed up, he was still quite shaken. They asked "do you have a black bear tag?". "Yes" he answered. "Then you can keep the bear". ... he has that bear on his front entrance today. It's the spitting image of a Grizzly in color. I can't imagine how scared he was that day. If you go into Beattie Gulch without knowing the risk, the joke is on you. I quit hunting there in 2014 - and I go in "prepared" (as best you can prepare). Beattie Gulch is the place where Grizzlies were first "documented" to be 'pack hunting' in 2013 ... and I was there that day (but not the victim) ... yeehaw!!

... yes, I've got more than a few bear stories. ...
I also didn't know that black bears could come in other colors.  I wonder if we have any around here that aren't black. . . .  What's this thing about bears pack hunting?? 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2021, 12:42:40 am »
I knew they come in different shades of color but I did not realize how aggressive they can be (Black Bear Species). Alan has lived the experience.

Member did you see the video that I posted on the other bear topic of the charging bear and the guy with the shotgun, running backward losing his shoe! I should have placed that video here... From now on everytime I watch video of a charging bear I will think of Coolbees... Nerves of Steel....

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2021, 12:57:46 am »
I had placed this video on another topic which is more bee related than hunting related, but I am thinking it is relative here as well! Notice the guy was shuffling backward and lost his shoe! Almost falling! The bear was so mad it grabbed the guys shoe for a split second, which might have given him just enough time to make it to safety???
Coolbees I can only imaging what you and your friends have experienced.... Maybe this little bit of insight will give a 'slight kinship'...
This one is a Grizzly...

To play this video simply touch the bottom >Watch on YouTube< on the designated screen below,  and it should play for you..

https://youtu.be/WdyjUxOaBSc

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2021, 01:22:14 am »
.... One take I am getting loud and clear is the black bear, ..., can be VERY DANGEROUS! ...

Not really. Most black bear charges are "false charges" - meaning they will stop short of actually attacking - something I didn't know when I was young - so I shot first , and didn't miss. ...

Until recently, there was only 1 recorded instance of a black bear killing a human in Montana - and that bear turned out to have been previously wounded, suffering, and crazy with pain. Only a few in the history of California. Mostly they are very shy and gentle. I don't feel any fear around Black Bears - just an awareness. ... but, I'm better trained and prepared than most - and experienced - so of course I'm not "worried" ...

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2021, 01:27:39 am »
. . . .  What's this thing about bears pack hunting??

It's something widely known - locally - by biologists, law enforcement, and hunters, in an area infested with Grizzlies. It's been caused by the introduction of the (wrong) wolves. (Long story). ... I can't imagine why they haven't wanted to make it national news ...  :shocked: :wink: :cool: :cool:

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2021, 01:32:21 am »
... From now on everytime I watch video of a charging bear I will think of Coolbees... Nerves of Steel....

... HAHAHAHA!! I wish! ... years of practice (with the proper tools) helped me to win the first bear charge - but I couldn't walk (legs didn't work) for 45 mins afterwards. ... it's a funny(ish) story. I'll tell it someday.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 01:43:05 am by CoolBees »

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2021, 01:41:04 am »
This one is a Grizzly...

To play this video simply touch the bottom >Watch on YouTube< on the designated screen below,  and it should play for you..

https://youtu.be/WdyjUxOaBSc

Yup - that's a Griz. Don't mess with them. Definitely don't wound one. You just leave them wounded, hurting, and they attack someone else later. ... if you don't go into Griz country prepared, then don't go there.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2021, 01:46:14 am »
... From now on everytime I watch video of a charging bear I will think of Coolbees... Nerves of Steel....

... HAHAHAHA!! I wish! ... years of practice (with the proper tools) helped me to win the first bear charge - but I couldn't walk (legs didn't work) for 45 mins afterwards. ... it's a funny(ish) story. I'll tell it someday.

Looking forward to it 😊 👍🏻

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2021, 10:59:11 am »
It's something widely known - locally - by biologists, law enforcement, and hunters, in an area infested with Grizzlies. It's been caused by the introduction of the (wrong) wolves. (Long story). ... I can't imagine why they haven't wanted to make it national news ...  :shocked: :wink: :cool: :cool:
Oh, is this that thing about how the wolves that were reintroduced onto National Park lands, from Canada if I remember correctly, are more robust and larger than the wolves which were originally here?  So the bears have had to learn to pack hunt to complete?  That's incredible!   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2021, 11:53:27 am »
Oh, is this that thing about how the wolves that were reintroduced onto National Park lands, from Canada if I remember correctly, are more robust and larger than the wolves which were originally here?  So the bears have had to learn to pack hunt to complete?  That's incredible!

Yes.

Phillip - I have to politely disagree with the conclusion of firearm/caliber choice in the original video. My personal experience - has seen what a 9mm and 45 acp won't do to a bear. I consider the 44 mag, with factory premium rounds, to be a "bear minimum pea-shooter" against Griz.

When a bear charges, your only target is the top of their rolling head. Their skull is so thick that bullets tend to "bounce off", or be deflected. It takes a lot of power to puncture the skull from that angle. A slow moving, very heavy bullet has the best chance of success.

Of course - people have successfully killed large Grizzlies with 22 LR's fired into the side of their head ...https://www.ammoland.com/2017/06/bella-twin-the-22-used-to-take-the-1953-world-record-grizzly-and-more/

However - in today's climate, shooting a Griz in the side of the head negates your self defense argument - and therefore gets you (up to) a federal felony, 10 yrs prison, and/or $25k+ in fines - or some such. Ask the guy in Idaho that shot a Griz in his backyard that was about to attack his daughter - how that worked out for him.

So, when a bear charges - drop down to 1 knee (while drawing) to change your target angle - and shoot under their chin - with a really big ... something-or-other ... imho.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2021, 12:07:40 pm »
Makes for perfect reasoning Alan.   :grin: You probably remember from our previous conversations that one of my desires of priorities is to >someday< backpack horse style in the Rockies.

I use to read those Outdoor Life, Field & Stream, and Sports Afield magazines when younger, while growing up on horses. I have always wished to take that plunge. I suppose with the regulations and rules concerning self defense protection, a person had better be well versed in the law part of protection as well.
Thanks again for pointing out the gun caliber concerns as well as the legal aspects.

Phillip