Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Careful Hunters and Beekeepers in Bear Country!  (Read 6458 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Careful Hunters and Beekeepers in Bear Country!
« on: November 27, 2021, 01:22:59 pm »

I ran across this and am thinking some of you might be interested.... Especially you hunters....

Phillip

https://youtu.be/FDGM7QgxuWw
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
Re: Careful Hunters and Beekeepers in Bear Country!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 11:08:34 pm »
I like a lot of the MEATEATER shows and podcasts. They are a pretty interesting and entertaining group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 12:14:32 am »
I watched some of his videos before we did our goat butchering.  It was very helpful.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 11:26:56 am »
I ran across this by accident. I was searching for the bear attack video which I found and posted under another heading. This one seemed like it might be of value to you folks in bear country. It?s amazing how fast a bear is.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 01:04:11 pm »
When I was small a group of us went to the Smokey Mountains. We kids were desperate to see a wild bear! We do not have bear in my area and this would be the highlight of the trip for we Kids. Bear was the main topic of our conversations.

We were camping. My uncle and his family chose a pop-up camper. We simply had a camper top on our pick-up. After a couple days roaming through the mountains, we still had not seen a bear; Bummer. Each night we would stay at a different location.

Along the trip, I do not think we missed anything. We hiked trails. Went to waterfalls. Stopped and read the historical signs etc. But the main attraction we kids wanted to see was Mr Bear.

On the third night we kids conspired!! At each campsite the posted rules said: Do not leave food out, along with the rest of instructions of 'what not to do in bear country' WELL....   

After supper, we kids conspired to save our chicken bones..  We 'strategically' placed them in a place which we thought would be a good ideal location to see 'the bear' if 'one' happened to show up around our camp.

Little did we country kids know!  There was no need for chicken bones that night!!! A bit after we were in for the night we heard noises, shouting, fussing, garbage cans rattling etc. It was only a half moon lit night and the camp ground had no street lights. We could see flash lights, hear people shouting, fussing, see bears running. There seemed to be bear every where! We kids thought we did it! lol. We were only around seven or eight years old and the oldest of us was around 12. We dared not tell our parents of what we did. We really thought it was our fault that the bears came and toted off some to the campers cooler chest, and ransacked the campground.... lol

We still look back and have a smile of that time.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 01:14:43 pm by Ben Framed »

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 02:10:57 pm »
We went on a cruise to Alaska several years ago. When we pulled into Juneau we heard that bears frequent the town dump that was on top of the mountain overlooking the town. Judy and I took our movie camera and walked up the really steep road to get to the dump. It took more than an hour to get there, maybe 2 hours. We walk into the dump, camera in hand, went to the back of the dump and saw a large black bear. I started filming and turned to whisper something to Judy, and she was gone, after looking around I saw her heading to the entrance. Here we walked for almost 2 hours, straight up, to see a bear and as soon as we do, she takes off running.
I continued filming this bear eating until a small plane flew over our head and scared it.
I have the video to prove it including Judy running away. 😂
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 09:50:53 am »
Haha!  Both of those stories are very funny.  Despite living in bear country, I have never yet seen a bear in the wild.  The closest I came was last month when we were on a hike.  Back through the trees I saw a big shaggy black hunched shape, and I gasped and stopped short, only to realize in the next moment that it was a blackened burned tree snag!  We had a good laugh about it!  :cheesy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2021, 12:32:57 pm »
Great memories for you two Jim..  :grin:

Member, at least you was observant! You wasn't going to be caught flat footed...  :cheesy: :grin:

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2021, 04:32:06 pm »
About 40 years ago we were camping in a Lake Tahoe camp ground. We had just come back from a drive around the area and my 2 year old daughter, Jamie, get out of the car and walks into our campsite. Judy heard a noise in the tree and calls Jamie to come immediately. Jamie asks why mommy, Judy very sternly says come here. About this time a brown bear comes climbing down the tree right above Jamie. No one got hurt but it did give us a good scare.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2021, 05:18:02 pm »
... About this time a brown bear comes climbing down ...
Jim Altmiller

Sorry to be picky Jim - should read "brown phase black bear".

(Black bears come in many color phases. Brown bears are in the Grizzly family. Califonia, thankfully, hasn't had grizzlies since 1920ish - although they will be moving back soon.) Sorry - its a peave of mine.  :grin:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2021, 05:23:56 pm »
Haha!  Both of those stories are very funny.  Despite living in bear country, I have never yet seen a bear in the wild.  The closest I came was last month when we were on a hike.  Back through the trees I saw a big shaggy black hunched shape, and I gasped and stopped short, only to realize in the next moment that it was a blackened burned tree snag!  We had a good laugh about it!  :cheesy:

Ah yes, the ever omni-present Stump Bear. Every bit as dangerous as Australia's Drop Bears. Most common attack symptoms are Paralysis, Heart Attack, & Stroke. I've had several attack me thru the years. I barely survived a couple of these attacks. I've got one that lives near my cabin. He attacks me at least once a month. Many people don't realize they are closely related to the Rock Elk and the Bush Deer. ... you're lucky to have survived!  :cool:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2021, 05:38:28 pm »
😂

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2021, 05:38:49 pm »
In Yellowstone a few years ago we ran across a slow down in traffic, (semi-road block). It was tourist eyeing a brown (colored) bear. This bear was not a grizzly but a bear as you described Alan. Distinctly light brown in color.  His shoulders did not have the distinctive hump.  He was big but definitely a brown colored black bear yet a bear just the same! 😊 Let me assure you, we did not get out of the Vehicle to take pictures! No Sir! No doubt in my mind I could've come down with any of the dangerous symptoms that you mentioned before when describing the type of bear that member spotted!  I took no chance!

A day or so later we saw two real deal grizzlies. I might be mistaken but in the lower 48 they are called grizzly?  In Canada and Alaska they are defined as Brown Bear. Is that correct?

Regardless I bet Jim and Judy had to take a few minutes to recoup on that one!
No wonder Jim turned around to find Judy had bugged out during the Alaska sighting!! Hats off to Judy though, she is game, she made the hike anyway, knowing she would probably see bear! 

« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 06:30:48 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2021, 05:42:58 pm »
Alan I had hoped you would chime in. I bet there is a good chance you have had bear encounters on your outdoor adventures? 

Maybe some of you other folks as well?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 06:29:31 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2021, 07:46:23 pm »
Alan I had hoped you would chime in. I bet there is a good chance you have had bear encounters on your outdoor adventures? 

Maybe some of you other folks as well?

Bear encounters? Well, yes, I've had a few. I've killed 5 that were charging me - each with a single shot - that's all the time you get/they give you, if your lucky. All were Black bears.

I met a guy in Livingstone MT a few yrs ago. Nice kid. He was archery hunting elk - and was charged twice in 1 week. He killed both bears - 1 shot each. I asked him "how's your shorts?" ... "soiled" he said. I don't blame him.

I love bears. I love watching them. But I "watch out" for them too. I could talk bears for months. ... if I knew how to post utube videos, I'd post lots of bear vids. (But I don't care to learn how).

I don't actively hunt them - most years. (Although i did this year - and got mine). I just spend enough time outdoors that I get to see them sometimes.

#1 rule of wisdom for any aspiring woodsman: What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Except Grizzlies - Grizzlies will definitely kill you! :cool:

I've watched 100's of black bears in my life - and dozens of Grizzlies. I don't mess around with Griz. When I say "Bear", and you want to know where the Griz is, just look in the opposite direction I'm heading.  :shocked:

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2021, 07:51:05 pm »
And yes Phillip - the "Brown Bear" is a large, generally coastal, version of a Grizzly that's found in Alaska and northern Canada. They are not nearly as pretty and the Inland Grizzly imho.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2021, 08:03:26 pm »
Ah yes, the ever omni-present Stump Bear. Every bit as dangerous as Australia's Drop Bears. Most common attack symptoms are Paralysis, Heart Attack, & Stroke. I've had several attack me thru the years. I barely survived a couple of these attacks. I've got one that lives near my cabin. He attacks me at least once a month. Many people don't realize they are closely related to the Rock Elk and the Bush Deer. ... you're lucky to have survived!  :cool:
Hahahaha!  Oh I am dying laughing, and so is anyone within earshot of me (I read this post out loud)!  :cheesy: :cheesy:  One of the Aussies was telling us about those drop bears on the kangaroo thread.  Sounds like they'll kill you as dead as a grizzlie!  :wink: :cheesy:

(Black bears come in many color phases. Brown bears are in the Grizzly family. Califonia, thankfully, hasn't had grizzlies since 1920ish - although they will be moving back soon.) Sorry - its a peave of mine.  :grin:
Thank you for being particular; if more people called things what they really are, everyone would be less confused.  (No offense, Jim.  :embarassed:)  Why do you say grizzlies are moving back to California soon?

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2021, 08:24:44 pm »
... About this time a brown bear comes climbing down ...
Jim Altmiller

Allen,
The forest ranger called it a brown bear, saying it was not a grisly. Hence I called it a brown bear. 😊
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2021, 09:49:28 pm »
I do not take you scientific minded members lightly. It is good that y'all are strict on description. Member this reminds me of the Buffalo/Bison conversation we had a while back.😊I would not want to be hooked no matter the name of the critter.   
:grin:

Alan you are a true outdoorsman! but if I was being charged by Mr Bear; (And four times is amazing!) I would have probably been in the same condition as the young guy you told us about.  :shocked: :cheesy:  :wink:

I would not be particularly concerned with the scientific name of the bears that charged me. Until he was dead, dead, dead. And I was safe, safe, safe!   :shocked: lol

Thanks for your patience with us Bear and Buffalo folks  :wink: :grin: 

Friends, one thing is for sure.
Thankfully all four of us, along with the others involved, survived to tell about it!  :happy:

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2021, 10:11:11 pm »
The last time I went deer hunting... It was in the state of New Hampshire... Where I was living at the time..  bear season and dear season . Are at the same time..  I was using a rifle.. .300 Winchester magnum...Most beers are taken. During deer season in New Hampshire.. New England only has black bears..
 I believe the only bears. East of Mississippi  River are black bears

BEE HAPPY  :smile: Jim 134
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 07:28:51 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/