ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES FORUM

Deer and my hive suit

(1/4) > >>

jalentour:
Every year about this time I'll be working the hives and deer will walk thru the bee yard or nearby and act as if I were part of the landscape.  I wear my cowboy hat veil I purchased at Beez Needz or my white bee jacket.  Either way, they show little concern, a little curiosity.  Anyone else experienced the same?  I'm almost tempted to hunt in my bee suit.

jtcmedic:
Fellow I knew had his tree  stand by his hives , he swore it was great cover sent.

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: jvalentour on October 16, 2019, 03:50:40 pm ---Every year about this time I'll be working the hives and deer will walk thru the bee yard or nearby and act as if I were part of the landscape.  I wear my cowboy hat veil I purchased at Beez Needz or my white bee jacket.  Either way, they show little concern, a little curiosity.  Anyone else experienced the same?  I'm almost tempted to hunt in my bee suit.

--- End quote ---

I am going to take a guess, one thing is you are probably using smoke and you human scent is most likely muted?  This is a real plus. Another thing could be that the veil may have something to do with it?  Perhaps breaking you silhouette to some degree?  One thing for sure they are not as cautious.. This is interesting Jvalentour.

CoolBees:
I would hazard a guess that it because your Bee Suit is blocking your body's electrical signal - which the deer can see ... (unless you learn to turn it off).

With that said, I may well be wrong - it might be something that "science" has yet to figure out. The deer at my house will let me walk near, and talk to them, near the beehives, without a suit, veil, or jacket ... maybe the bees communicate a sense of calm (knowing thier beek) and the deer can read it ... I dunno ...

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: CoolBees on October 16, 2019, 10:15:04 pm ---I would hazard a guess that it because your Bee Suit is blocking your body's electrical signal - which the deer can see ... (unless you learn to turn it off).

With that said, I may well be wrong - it might be something that "science" has yet to figure out. The deer at my house will let me walk near, and talk to them, near the beehives, without a suit, veil, or jacket ... maybe the bees communicate a sense of calm (knowing thier beek) and the deer can read it ... I dunno ...

--- End quote ---

You might be right, I have heard of the bodies electrical signal talked about among my hunter friends. If I was still hunting, I would check into this further. Good answer Alan. Good to see your posting, its been a while.
Phillip

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version