Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wax Dipping Woodenware  (Read 34383 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Wax Dipping Woodenware
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2023, 03:41:07 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster, Shelton!  :happy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2023, 08:15:05 pm »
Shelton,
Welcome to Beemaster
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2023, 09:27:46 pm »
Just wondering how this has worked out for you, I?m considering doing the same thing. I also considered using a couple of  drum band heaters to avoid the open flame but I have a feeling it would be terribly slow and may not work. Some of them get up to around 400 degrees F. Any thoughts on that?

Still a work in progress, very slow progress... Lot of mandatory overtime at my work and even though it ended last year, so far behind on every thing else have not got back on my tank. Want it running for my own equipment, but having it for a retirement 'side hustle' is also important. Did get the trailer I'm going to mount it on put together!

Skeptical about drum heaters (BTW we have discussed this, um, 'elsewhere') but the heavy duty ones do say they are rated for continuous use. The cheaper ones do not. Kind of an expensive risk to find out you need to add a second or third one. Or worse, they do not work at all.

Offline Shelton

• Brood
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2023, 10:23:44 pm »
Thanks for the reply! I think you?re probably right about the drum heaters. I?ve been pricing wax today. wow! That?s not cheap!

Thanks for all the welcomes!!

Edit: not sure why I get ? Instead of apostrophes.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 07:16:19 am by Shelton »

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2023, 12:17:32 pm »
Thanks for the reply! I think you?re probably right about the drum heaters. I?ve been pricing wax today. wow! That?s not cheap!
Edit: not sure why I get ? Instead of apostrophes.
Was not cheap two years ago, plus shipping has gone up as well. Your only about two hours from Dalton so be sure and check RE Caroll's prices. They were just a few cents per pound higher than on line then so saving shipping made them cheaper over all.

The most common reason is your on a smart phone which does not use a proper apostrophe.

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2023, 01:18:19 pm »
Not sure if this is relevant but are you guys looking for something like this?

Web link https://www.abelo.co.uk/shop/frames/steam-boiler/

I have an older version sold as a Polish potato boiler....the start of homemade vodka making..... :cheesy:
I like the fire and grate heating and they certainly do a good job of cleaning frames, queen excluders etc. Of course as you pull things out they seem to get a thin layer of wax coating.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2023, 06:27:55 am »
Even if the band is 400 F I'm sure the wax wouldn't make it to that temperature.  Would it get hot enough?  Maybe.  It takes a long time to heat it on a gas stove with all four burners running...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything