Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Can I put the brad nails in later / wax foundation ?  (Read 2185 times)

Offline Simondsrach

• New Bee
Can I put the brad nails in later / wax foundation ?
« on: March 19, 2017, 02:47:40 pm »
So I was going to start putting some of my wax foundation into the frames today ... watching the videos I see that I need some brad nails and a finishing hammer.  I wasn't really planning a trip to the hardware store today.  Would it be okay to install the foundation, return the wedge bar, put in the support pins and then hammer the brad nails in at a later time before I set the hive out

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Can I put the brad nails in later / wax foundation ?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 03:48:16 pm »
The wedge will fall out and the wax will fall. It would be best to wait until you get nails unless you crosswire and embed.

PS. I use 18 gauge nails with heads rather than brads. They work much better.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Simondsrach

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 05:15:03 pm »
Ok thanks. I will wait until I adventure out tomorrow and pick up supplies than ...   There is literally a hardware store less than a mile away.  I just really wanted to do bee stuff today without a shopping trip lol .. winters are long in upstate ny and anything outdoorsy I can do inside is a relief

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 09:04:42 am »
If you have a stapler just staple the wedge to hold it until you get the nails.  You can also use a hot glue gun if you have one.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 04:27:19 pm »
I use a slip jaw pliers. Push in the 3 or four nails, expand the jaws, push the wedge against the wax and the pliers (top jaw on top of frame bottom on nail head)crushes  the nails in faster than you can pick up a hammer (and you will not crush wax).
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 12:53:39 pm »
I sometimes use a picture frame nail pusher. You put the nail where you want it and squeeze the handle and it pushes the nail into the wood. it works pretty well for those frames.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin