Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Any body jumping to Windows 10?  (Read 14247 times)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Any body jumping to Windows 10?
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2016, 09:54:22 pm »
Linux Mint has been my system of choice for now. I have windows 10 on a separate hard drive.,but  use very limited personal info on it. Just basic web browsing. Typically I don't even log into websites I visit.
 After Microsofts statements on encryption with the government, I surely won't  tend personal business with their products.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2016, 05:09:29 pm »
Every time I get an reminder from Microsoft to upgrade I'm more determined to never go to windows 10...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2016, 12:58:07 pm »
There is a free program called "Never 10" out there that will stop windows from forcing the 10 upgrade. Often microsoft will bug you only so long and install 10 whether you want it or not. And sometimes thing go wrong during the"aoto" install, losing data and corrupting programs.
 The Never10 is available from Gibson Research,and free of charge.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2016, 06:56:56 pm »
I found a couple of other solutions.  One is to uninstall the update that caused the problem (KB3035583) and then never allowing it to be installed again.  The other is to rename the directory (which it will not let you delete and it will not let you remove from the registry because they are owned by "trusted installer") that the update is in so it won't be found.  It is named GWX.  It may be a hidden folder so you may have to turn on seeing hidden files.  I renamed it something angry... but you can name it anything you like unless they blocked that now too...  If so see if you can rename GWX.exe in that folder.   I renamed it back after I found the update and it went away when I uninstalled the update.  Then I turned auto updates off (which I shouldn't but, I admit, I was angry) and I have never turned them back on.  The right thing is to hide that particular update in the Windows update section of the control panel.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2016, 07:49:02 pm »
I would be happy to change if they let me control the updates.  I can't schedule them or see what they are putting on there.  For that reason, I won't update the PC.  I did the laptop that I only use for travel just to see what it was like.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2016, 09:24:59 am »
I remember back when Walmart was taking over and all the KMart's were going under.  KMart decided to paint all of their stores the same colors as Walmart.  They seemed to think that would help.  I fell like Microsoft is doing the same thing.  Back when Coke was losing all the taste tests they decided to make it taste like Pepsi.   What they did not take into account is that people who preferred Pepsi were not their customers and they weren't going to get them to leave Pepsi.  Coke's customers were people who preferred Coke.  People who liked a less sweet, less smooth, slightly bitter taste.  So Coke in one fell swoop lost the only customers they had... Again, Microsoft seems to be attempting the same thing.  I like to "own" my computer.  Apple likes to think THEY own my computer.  The more Microsoft emulates Apple the more I hate them...  It's MY computer.  I should be in charge, not Microsoft and not Apple.   Yes, I'm the kind of guy who has a link to Regedit on my desktop...
-------------------

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2016, 03:30:07 am »
Ubuntu has been my daily driver for more than 10 years. I use it at home, both for servers, desktops and laptops, and at work.  Haven't used windows for years, and never used mac. All the servers I work on at work use Ubuntu too.  I am a very happy Linux user :-)  My game console is SteamOS (self built http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/) with two steam controllers.  SteamOS is a debian Linux based game console.  Only my firewall runs on a FreeBSD based system.  And now I wait for the brand new Ubuntu tablet which should ship in a week or two: http://www.ubuntu.com/tablet  Exciting times :-)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2016, 08:19:09 am »
I started to make the jump to Linux (no preference on the front end) but kept running into a lack of drivers and software.  Otherwise I would have stuck with that.  I may make the jump yet.  I just wish the manufacturers would support it better.
-------------------

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2016, 08:39:37 am »
Drivers can be a problem.  I go for Intel or Nvidia graphics, not ATI which I have very bad experience with.

The best option if you plan to buy a new computer is to buy from someone that supports Linux and make sure all drivers work.  System76 (US based company) has a very good reputation and only sell computers for Linux.  Dell XPS 13 is an alternative.  I guess there are many others too in the US.

And older computers normally have better driver support as the hardware have been out for a longer period. I still use my old Lonovo X200 from year 2000 at home.

Offline TALittle

• New Bee
  • I'm simply saying that life finds a way.
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2016, 10:59:25 am »
As someone who went to using Linux as my only desktop 21 years ago. Let me know if you are having an issue. I am more than happy to help.

As a note, I run Fadora core and have had very few driver issues. The more annoying one was using the commercial nvidia driver. However, I only use it because I have multiple displays and wanted a specific layout that was not support on the open source driver.

I should add that I am a Sr Linux Architect in the Aerospace industry. So it is also what I do as a career. lol

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2016, 07:11:34 am »
Drivers can be a problem.  I go for Intel or Nvidia graphics, not ATI which I have very bad experience with.

The best option if you plan to buy a new computer is to buy from someone that supports Linux and make sure all drivers work.  System76 (US based company) has a very good reputation and only sell computers for Linux.  Dell XPS 13 is an alternative.  I guess there are many others too in the US.

And older computers normally have better driver support as the hardware have been out for a longer period. I still use my old Lonovo X200 from year 2000 at home.
eivindm,
Welcome back. I have not seen you on here since 2014.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline 1frozenhillbilly

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2016, 05:24:12 pm »
i should check out the tech forum more often!  when 10 tried to self install i dropped a mint dvd in my laptop and will probably never go back, it is still a learning curve and there are a few habits i had with windows that don't work the same in mint  but so far I've been really happy with the change wish I'd done this sooner!
vegetarian???  isn't green stuff for growing meat?
I'm now KL4GU general ham