Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sugar for Bees  (Read 1112 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Sugar for Bees
« on: March 21, 2020, 03:09:17 am »
In my area, sugar is in a shortage situation. I will run out in a few days. Are we far along enough in the season that hives which are not high in abundance of stores, can make it without it? Hopefully nature is providing enough nectar at the present time?  (North Mississippi)
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Sugar for Bees
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 11:15:34 am »
I would assume that as long as your bees have good flying weather that there is enough blooming for them now.  I always go by when the maple are blooming and warm enough for them to fly then the are good for the spring.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 11:17:13 am »
Thanks Cao
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 12:15:07 pm »
I got 25 lbs put back for when I get this three packages in. Just to start them out on.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 01:19:28 pm »
Phillip,
I have been open feeding my bees 10 pounds right up to a few days before BeeFest. We now have a good flow on because we did not have any problems opening the hives and melting wax. If there was a drought, both would bee a problem. Holly is in bloom and yesterday I saw tall shrubs in bloom with lots of flowers on it. We were busy build a fence so I did not stop to find out what it is.
You are pretty close to my zone so hopefully you have a lot of blooms now.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 02:17:00 pm »
Once again you are right Jim with good information. A lot has changed since I posted this topic just a few days ago. There are blooms galore. lol. I did find sugar from a local company in the 50 lb bag. Even with all the blooms, my bees, at both locations are still taking sugar. I suppose this will change very soon.

Phillip Hall

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 03:13:16 pm »
Sorta on subject. Where do people that make up the packages get the syrup in the cans from?  Just curious.

Offline guitarstitch

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 04:04:47 pm »
I'm about an hour south of Jim.  My established colonies are pulling in nectar and packing it like we're in a full on flow.  I'm still feeding my packages for now, but once that sugar runs out, I won't bother.  They all seem to be foraging strongly.

If we got a little bit of rain here, it would go a long way toward boosting the flow.

-Matt
-Matthew Pence/Stitch

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 09:08:00 am »
> Sorta on subject. Where do people that make up the packages get the syrup in the cans from?  Just curious.

Good question. Does anyone here know the process?

Phillip Hall