BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > REQUEENING & RAISING NEW QUEENS

Cell Punch

(1/5) > >>

sc-bee:

--- Quote from: little john on January 13, 2016, 07:42:00 am ---

--- End quote ---

Littlejohn- Talk to me about making a cell punch tool. I had some 1/2 tube cut but it looks a little too big... id of .5in. What have you found to be the ideal id of punch and recommend end punch part to use ie copper ferrule etc?  What about the length of the punch tube itself. I see Cushman's page says 25mm close to  1 inch.

Any other tips on mounting punches on a bar ie. nicot cups, jzbz cups etc?

Jim134:

This is a compression ring for copper tubing. I have seen homemade ones made with this. The fabricator used a piece of copper strapping or rod. I believe you could use brazing rod as will.  Solder them together how to make a handle. I have one suggestion. I would put my handles on a 45 degrees as compared to the ring. you will not be so close to the comb with my hand. Just an idea which I have seen used. You can buy these rings from a lot of different places. Anybody that sells plumbing supplies. Such as hardware stores and big box stores like Home Depot and the like. They come in all different kinds of sizes. Used mainly on gas fittings as well as oil fittings. Also Airline fittings for brake systems in heavy duty trucks.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :smile:

sc-bee:

--- Quote from: Jim 134 on March 26, 2017, 11:03:47 am ---   

This is a compression ring for copper tubing.

--- End quote ---

Yep, I called it a ferrule in the opening post. I was looking for the optimum size of ferrule that would fit a JZBZ good without much smashing. I believe I read in the original post this picture came from, that the rod is from an old windshield wiper blade.

Acebird:
Any thin walled tubing could be sharpened to cut wax.  Why go to the trouble to make a handle?

https://microgroup.com/store/fractional-stainless-tubing.html

Jim134:

--- Quote from: Acebird on March 26, 2017, 02:22:57 pm ---Any thin walled tubing could be sharpened to cut wax.  Why go to the trouble to make a handle

--- End quote ---

Just curious how you going to unload the punch..

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :smile:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version