Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lightening Strike  (Read 2581 times)

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
Lightening Strike
« on: September 05, 2018, 11:40:10 pm »
This Labor Day weekend was a rather eventful weekend for us at the farm.  Lot of work on the shooting range, shed work, bees and trails.  We took a break during a storm.  Lightening was fierce.  We live at the top of the Ohio River Valley, 800 feet above the river and plains to our north.  Storms come up the valley from the west make many July 4th fireworks look tame. 
Usually I sit on the west facing deck to watch the incoming storm.  Just kind of into that thing, better than TV.  Had to move to the porch on the east side of the house because the rain was blowing in. 
We were drinking an ice tea on the porch and heard a crack to the south when instantly to the north on the shooting range a tree was lit up by lightening.  The tree was dead, the hit limbs looked like the tip of a wooden match just as you lite it.  White hot, sizzling, bright.
I had always wanted to be near a lightening strike. 
After that one, I went inside for a bit. 
Six years ago I bought that property to enjoy the outdoors, hunt, farm, debauch,  a second home. 
What a great moment.
Yeah, lightening can kill.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Lightening Strike
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 05:40:03 am »
Agreed, Joe. When my kids were small, I would sit them on my knees at a window and watch the "fireworks". We enjoyed watching, and both grew up respecting, but not fearful, of lightening.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 06:13:04 am »
JT,
Like you, I enjoy watching lightning. When my kids were small we were looking out the back door watching a fierce storm. A lightning bolt hit right behind my house, all the way to the ground. I thought it hit the tree in my back yard. 8 big pine trees in my neighbors yard died from that one strike. He hired me to take them all down.
About 3 months ago, a lightning bolt hit the top of a 70 foot pine tree while we were watching from our porch. The top 20 feet of the tree exploded. There were large sections of thrown over 250 feet from the tree.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 08:34:31 am »
I was in the garage when lightning hit our well.  That lit up the sky and rang my ears.  I was in the house when lightning hit the big cottonwood tree in the back yard and it exploded.  Apparently the sap turned to steam and exploded.  The pine tree by my bee yard got hit by lightning before I moved here and the center of it burned out.  My attic was hit by lightning before I bought the house and burned some of the rafters.  I do watch lightning storms all the time and find them quite awesome.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 07:07:46 pm »
'e live at the top of the Ohio River Valley, 800 feet above the river and plains to our north.  Storms come up the valley from the west make many July 4th fireworks look tame. ''

Same here, we would drive to the Mississippi river bluff overlooking the Mississippi Delta. Just for such an event. Our storms usually come form the west-southwest from Arkansas, which is just across the Mississippi River. Breathing beauty.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything