Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is this video misleading newbies?  (Read 4344 times)

Offline rothbart

• New Bee
Is this video misleading newbies?
« on: April 06, 2021, 07:17:42 am »
She say first year easy 60 kg of honey from one nuc.
I would like to see comments below she disabled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mouIiCpbqD8

On the other hand we have professionals who have
a little different reality. Like this one who lost
13 hives out of 15. So sad to see empty stands
in drone video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-sffGe1yv8&t=1819s
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 09:08:18 am by rothbart »

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Is this video misleading newbies?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 09:00:41 am »
The first video says unavailable. What was it about?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline rothbart

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 09:10:43 am »
The first video says unavailable. What was it about?

Edited the link.. try now..

She talk how you can have 60 kg of honey in first year in one nuc.

Costs

School 150 eur
Tools 120 eur
Nuc 100 - 130 eur
super, frames, foundation  30 eur

cost total 400 eur

Profits

60 kg honey at 10 eur = 600 eur

I don't know what to make of this math.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 09:51:10 am by rothbart »

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 10:40:06 am »
Honey yield potential is all about the forage available and the climate.
Yes, I easily exceed 60 kg of honey in a season starting from just 3.5 frames of bees and a good queen. Other beekeepers in a different climate may struggle to make just 10 kg. 

As for losses. Beekeeping gets complicated quickly and conditions change rapidly. Everyone will lose colonies every year.  Some years losses will be higher than others.  The difference from successes or failures of one beekeeper to another is not experience. Nor is it pro vs newbee. The difference is knowledge, by endlessly searching for information and staying up to date. Knowledge PLUS experience = success
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 11:33:13 am »
I always remember the line from Jurassic Park when talking to new bee keepers. First it's all ooh's and aah's then the screaming starts. Sixty kilos sounds like a lot but it's only two five gallon buckets. Still it's a stretch to expect that type of yield for a novice beekeeper. 

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
    • Deep Creek Apiaries and the Hive Shop
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 12:26:31 pm »
Thanks, THP,

Knowledge + experience = success.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 12:39:03 pm »
Well said HP.  Forage and a good queen and healthy bees make the difference. Last season I had some colonies that were 4 miles apart, all colonies were the same size.  One lot made 4 medium supers of honey the other lot I had to pull because they were staving nothing in the suppers or the brood nest.
not all locations are equal, what looked like a great location was a dud.

As for losses they happen,  this season I thought my losses were about 20% but a month later they are going to be at least 60%.  Yesterday I spoke to a beek that runs 4000 colonies but came through winter with only 780. Losses can happen for a number of reasons but as we can gain experience and learn from it we will have better success. In my case this year I had a treatment application fail. I could blame the manufacture but in reality, it's on me because of eye surgery I did not get to do my alcohol wash. If I had I would have known that the treatment application had failed, but by the time I was able to do a wash, it was too late the winter bees were mite-infested. I stopped Counting at 30 mites per 300 bees. I did teat again but the damage was already done. What am I saying is If you want healthy bees and a good honey crop, then the beekeeping season starts the year before. sitting on my but will not get it done but hard work and due diligence just might make the difference.
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 01:29:53 pm »
Mr HP - as usual, you not only nail the answer, but also word it very well. Nicely done, as always sir.

Mr MCquilkin - I've had the same experience as you. I have 2 locations that are 1 mile apart. 1 - at my home - struggles to make any increase in honey/stores, but each hive can bring in 1/2 gallon of pollen in a season. The other location sees a year round honey production with harvest-able increases every 2 months or so. It's an amazing difference in outcome, considering only a mile seperation.

Bee keeping is Local, and Knowledge matters.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 02:47:47 pm »
Interesting points Brian. Just as an FYI, there is quite a lot of talk around the beekeeper circles this spring.  A common trend that is coming out is treatment product failure or reduced effectiveness, and others saying they were lax in their work and applied too late. It seems to be a 50:50 split between those that are suspecting a problem with the product/methods in 2020 and others who are blaming themselves a bit. Since the problem is so widespread, I believe it to actually be a bit of both. Do not put it all on yourself, as there is enough shared experiences indicating there may be other misses or failures from things that we were depending on working or unknowns that are out of our control. (eg a new bee-virus?)

However, as you point out very well and we need to focus both the experienced and the new-bees alike onto ... --> the successes of the beekeeping for the current year was started and was done (or not done) the year before.

When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2021, 08:27:30 am »
Knowledge PLUS experience = success
As all farming and working with nature I am surprised you don't have "luck" in your equation.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline rothbart

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2021, 05:01:33 pm »
Thanks for explaining. I have poor experience with honey.
If everything is good, we can expect 12 kg per colony surplus.
But me only 6 kg, because I am on the sea and missing half the land.
I have second yard now inland, will see how it goes.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2021, 07:27:56 pm »
I never would have thought of that as something that would affect honey production, but I guess you're right.  That's half of that 3 mi./5 km circle they can fly that has no flowers.  Interesting.  Also there's something kind of poetic about that sentence, "I am on the sea and missing half the land".  I'm a writer and that just rings nicely with me for some reason. . . .   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline rothbart

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2021, 10:34:54 pm »
there's something kind of poetic about that sentence..

Of all the art, poetry is the hardest for me to understand.
Of all the nobel laureates in literature, 90% never heard of them.
However I did like the story of Mary and Percy Shelley, Byron and friends
one summer on lake Geneva. And to be on topic, there is a movie connected.. 
"The Spirit of the Beehive (1973)"

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2021, 11:14:27 pm »
HoneyPump:  Knowledge PLUS experience = success

Agreed, HP.  But this raises a question:  where to obtain valid knowledge?  There are plenty of first year beekeepers creating videos on YouTube with incorrect answers to some very valid questions regarding every aspect of beekeeping as to lead a well intended newbie on a unsecured beekeeping path believing they know best for the bees as they have (in best intent) studied whereas they obtained the knowledge?  I know of beekeeping books with so much error the book might as well be considered voodoo.

Honeybees are dynamic, so must a beekeeper.

Sooooo, HoneyPump, you should write a book.  Now that would be worthy of study, leading to knowledge.

Warmth coming soon.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 11:28:55 pm by van from Arkansas »
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2021, 12:09:54 am »
HoneyPump:  Knowledge PLUS experience = success

Agreed, HP.  But this raises a question:  where to obtain valid knowledge?  There are plenty of first year beekeepers on YouTube with incorrect answers to some very valid questions regarding every aspect of beekeeping as to lead a well intended newbie on a unsecured beekeeping path believing they know best for the bees as they have (in best intent) studied whereas they obtained the knowledge?  I know of beekeeping books with so much error the book might as well be considered voodoo.

Sooooo, HoneyPump, you should write a book.  Now that would be worthy of study, leading to knowledge.

Warmth coming soon.

Mr Van you raise good points as always. I hope you don't mind me putting my two cents worth in? Looking at your questions and suggestions to Mr HP, and being in basic agreement with you, we are on the verge of transforming into a philosophy lol. So with out hijacking the topic, Lets talk philosophy. 😬

I agree with you that there are many folks who, with good intentions, are just not there yet, be it via youtube or other avenues. Thats why we must watch, listen, and learn with discretion. For instance is the person a successful professional beekeeper? What are there degrees of success?

As far as giving good experienced advice no matter how well the intentions. I confess that I am in the category of experience lacking, in most cases. My little three years of beekeeping experience is no consolation to folks such as HP and many others here at beemaster, who may employ a lifetime of beekeeping experience, or at least many years of successful beekeeping experience.  And not only their individual experiences, but there families handed down experiences and teaching. Some for generations. I know one person here at beemaster for instance here who comes from a 7th generation bee keeping family.

Baring questions here, I for one try to keep my mouth shut unless I have "experienced" what I am suggesting, or am talking about, or may be advising, or for that matter even commenting on, unless, I sometimes simply quote or stress where I got the information from in which I am relaying. Even so, one experienced answer may not be the correct answer in all cases or circumstances as there are always variables in many situations. I consider Mr HoneyPumps' replies just another added paragraph to his thick book as he shares the everyday life of beekeeping here with us, yet not only he, but many others here at beemaster, from all parts such as Oldbeavo from Australia for an example. As well as many others.  At the same time, I am confident that those experienced beekeepers, that we rely on, will correct us who are not quite there yet when we error in our efforts to help.

This and other reasons are why I have so much respect for beemaster and folks here who so graciously and patiently  share there "experiences", some a lifetime of experience. I am not attempting to put Mr HoneyPump on the top of the totem-pole and I feel sure that you are not either, though he and "several" others here deserve to be at that level simply because of experience and steadfast eager willingness to help. Experience that can not be bought or shortcuts made on the beekeeping road.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 12:34:10 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2021, 03:27:58 am »
Look for the established authoritative bodies of knowledge.  The bees do not read the books but they do help some very smart people to write them.
If I could have only one book on the side table it would be the one written by many highly qualified contributors. It gets thicker at each edition. It would be the Dadant, The Hive and the Honey Bee. The spine binding would be well broken, many page tab markers sticking out all about, and the cover would be well worn from travelling. If I could have only one reference set of articles in the magazine rack by the rocking chair to keep abreast of emerging research findings and applied methods it would be all the back issues of the American Bee Journal that I could get my hands on. If I were wanting for more and to dive into hard core academics I would be looking up online and thoroughly reading research papers published by apiculturalist and entomologist associations and national bee research centres around the world.
To find creative and different ways to get things done I would watch YouTube from time to time to see experiences of what others are doing and recognize where innovation, luck, and natures blessings are able to fill in the gaps of what is being presented.
To check my understandings and try validating experiences I would visit and participate at multiple discussion sites such as BeeMaster. I would be asking many questions and sharing observations and experiences all the while looking for commonalities.
I would be shying away from and probably outwardly shunning the shallowness of social sites and nit twits. Though I might browse them from time to time for entertainment and to gauge the width of the gap in perceived realities.
Beekeeping gets complicated quickly and it is dynamic. Meaning it changes as new problems come along and new methods are needed to overcome them. And so does the beekeeper also need to be ever learning, adapting, and pivoting.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 04:04:46 am by TheHoneyPump »

Offline rothbart

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2021, 04:27:26 pm »
But HP, lady said it was easy. What is all this nonsense you are talking about?

I will go with magic box and incantations.. **put on the wizard hat**

"In the Land of Honey where the Bees lie
One Box to rule them all, One Box to find them,
One Box to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them,
In the Land of Honey where the Bees lie"

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2021, 04:45:28 pm »
LoL. ...  LOVE the LOTR reference. .

While it can be painful to watch, and we (you me all) try to help as much as we can wherever we can; I cannot complain too much as I do appreciate the income of folks coming for bees and queens to restock their boxes month to month, year after year.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2021, 05:34:41 pm »
But HP, lady said it was easy. What is all this nonsense you are talking about?

I will go with magic box and incantations.. **put on the wizard hat**

"In the Land of Honey where the Bees lie
One Box to rule them all, One Box to find them,
One Box to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them,
In the Land of Honey where the Bees lie"
LoL. ...  LOVE the LOTR reference. .

Me too!!  The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings is my favorite thing.  My avatar is actually from Desolation of Smaug.  And you said you didn't understand poetry, Rothbart, well that seems pretty good to me!  :grin:     

Van is so right, HP.  I'd buy any book you wrote.  I'd even edit and proofread it for you for free!  :grin:   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline JojoBeeBoy

• House Bee
    • @joebeewhisperer on Instagram
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2021, 11:07:28 pm »
Also there's something kind of poetic about that sentence, "I am on the sea and missing half the land".  I'm a writer and that just rings nicely with me for some reason. . . .
I like that one as well.