Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Used equipment  (Read 6037 times)

Offline Tricky

• New Bee
Used equipment
« on: April 16, 2012, 02:09:15 am »
What do y'all look for when buying used equipment? I'm buying some hive bodies, frames, smoker, and beesuits. Just wanted to get some input I what to look for!! Thanks.

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
Re: Used equipment
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 02:49:11 am »
I don't buy used equipment because you never know what that used equipment might be carrying.  AFB would be an apiary killer.

I only buy new woodenware or make it myself.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:30:26 am by beyondthesidewalks »

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 07:59:40 am »
I bought lots of used equipment from an estate. I have experienced no problems......only great savings. In my opinion the savings outweigh the risks.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 08:29:48 am »
I started out getting lots of used equipment.   Real cheap.   Worked well.   Then it seems that everyone wanted bees and I could buy new stuff from the right places at about the same cost of the used stuff.  It has been a while since I ran across used equipment that I have bought, but if the price is right and I know where the stuff comes from, then yes I would buy used again.   

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 12:38:10 am »
I have bought very little new equipment.  I have not seen any problems with the used stuff.  Try to find out as much as you can about the history of it.  One of my mentors told me to pass a propane torch over it to be safe.  If I cannot get it for .50 on the dollar or better. I will buy new or build it myself.

Offline cdanderson

• New Bee
    • Carolina Honeybees
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 09:03:06 pm »
I personally dont like used wooden ware but if the condition was right, I might take a chance.  I do stay away from homemade woodenware - not that commercial ones are perfect either.. :shock:
Charlotte
SC Master Beekeeper
"My bees obviously dont read the same books as me !"

Offline Tricky

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 09:31:09 pm »
Lol, thanks for the input. I will always check the equipment out before I buy it.

Offline Ozarks Honey Company

• New Bee
    • Ozarks Honey Company
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 08:25:34 pm »
I have bought plenty of used boxes.  Find out the history and why the beekeper is getting rid of them and you should be OK. I agree with VMMARTIN, you should be able to get it for .50 on the dollar or cheaper.

A good sniff test should let you know if they had AFB if the equipment don't smell like wax & bees, don't buy it.  If you are in doubt, dont buy it.  If you are unsure, but think it is OK, replace the comb with clean/new foundation.

Let me know where it is and I will go get it if the price is right.  ;)

Good luck,

Offline Satch

• House Bee
  • Grandpa and Brandon in the hives
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 12:22:02 pm »
Was looking at some used equipement the other day.  Beekeeper(a term used loosely) said the bees just disappeared.

Asked if he knew of any disease or other condition that would just make them disappear.

Suspect AFB, but he had stored the empty hives for a couple of years and wanted new prices.

Cheaper to get a few to go together and buy the woodenware in bulk.

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 10:45:28 am »
I stay away from used equipment such as boxes and supers, tops and such.
Foul Brood is passed on by spores and I'd hate to have to burn my apiary yard. :shock:
I build my own hives. :)
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

anything