Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Careful what ya wish for....  (Read 1028 times)

Offline Nugget Shooter

• House Bee
    • Nugget Shooter
Careful what ya wish for....
« on: January 11, 2017, 11:12:02 am »
Well I have been feeling pretty cocky about how things have been going since last April getting my first hive (second was a full hive of bees deep) and up to 6 hives now, 2 are 2 deep and booming with Italian bees, 2 are one deep and feral doing very well, last 2 are smaller and from late swarms, but doing good. Here in Arizona we are going into a early flow and there has been just the right amount of rain to pretty much guarantee a once in 50 year bloom. I am finding myself second guessing what comes next. Only one hive is being fed and were installed from a cutout in November and just looking for some mentor type advise here from you good folks. Mostly about when to add supers and avoiding spring swarms in the 2 largest hives and I have read and read again about going into spring, but information on the Southwest is hard to come by as we have had no frost at all this year and bees always out and about. Things will really start flowering in about 3 weeks and our deserts look like Florida golf courses with all the green right now.

So my question basically is what would you do management wise as a new keeper going into this situation and no I have no drawn comb yet.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 11:25:55 am by Nugget Shooter »
Learning to manage without meddling...

Offline paus

• Field Bee
Re: Careful what ya wish for....
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 11:20:22 am »
Keep paying the Preacher.

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 11:50:34 am »
My guess would get ready to split soon. Then you could sell extra hives if your limiting your count.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 12:36:23 pm »
Be thankful and ready to split.